It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could modern man survive through another ice age?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I was pondering the idea as I stood outside this cold evening. Could modern man survive an ice age? Do we have the technology required to do so? Are there tests being conducted, say in, Antarctica? Would our infrastructure freeze? Could we go underground to survive?
Just some random thoughts going through my mind. What do you all think?

edit on 6-12-2010 by recycled because: spelling

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
living underground would be a good choice and even living near forests is optimal above ground had this thought before lol glad to see i wasnt alone

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
It all depends on how cold,Its not that hard to build shelter and find food and wood for heat ,but if its gets cold enough the only way would be to live near a volcanoe or go deep underground .Hard to answer with any certainty without a expected temp range.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Let's assume for the sake of the argument, we sat at about -20 for 25 years or more. Would this be survivable by most of modern man? Would our infrastructure survive these temps?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I dont think that "man" has what it takes to survive, there are techniques that technology cannot teach. Starting a fire, is not something that can be learned on a whim. It takes about 5 minutes of a tutorial to learn it and can last a lifetime. These are the "country" ways, and can be learned by anyone. I hope that at some point people learn the basics.

I seriously thought that fire was an easy thing, then I realized there about 100 ways to keep it going. You cannot survive on 10 minutes of heat, but learn how to keep it going, and you hit gold.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I think the biggest issue would not be whether we can survive (I think we can, at least for awhile) but can our CROPS and ANIMALS that we eat survive. I'm a Canadian, I can live in -40 degree weather in the dead of winter; while I may not be at my happiest, I can get through it, and have for 28 years now. However, this survival is based in very large part on the fact that I can buy food shipped from places that are *not* 40 below :p

If we still have land usable to farm (i.e. around the equator most likely) we can support a human population through an ice age, but it sure won't be the 6 billion (is it 7 yet?) people that we have now. I don't even want to try and estimate how much lower it would be, but it's obvious it would take quite a hit. It would probably be somewhat comparable to the Black Death in magnitude.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by recycled

At that temp and for that length of time ,most humans would be toast(cold stale toast),Only a small percentage of people could be sustained ,crops could be grown under lights and livestock raised in shelters,but unless you are prepared before hand and have connections to the right people ,its going to be tough.Personally i cant stand anything under 15C.I need the sun and heat (Oh no he's a reptillian)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Well its sure it's coming soon as from doing some research I found out that in this Link To VideoUSA and Russian scientiest have found out that its on its way...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I think modern man is too gutless to survive an ice age.

We have lost a lot of courage on the journey.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

You dont need guts to survive ,you(not you) need to be put in that situation,Hunger is a powerful motivator.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

OK, what is going to live in an ice age for us to eat?

Fish - frozen under the ice.

All veg - gone.

So we have to live on reindeer, Santa (jk) and maybe yaks and buffalo.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

I would be dead - can't kill an animal.

RIP.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
although there would be some governments that have survival stockpile and have special long term survival facility undergrounds prepared. the odds of survival an ice age are remote and man would eventually run out of supplies and succumb to the extreme conditions once they were forced to exit their protection to forage. no infrastructure would remain within several years if even that long, and everyone and every animal attempting to survive on the surface would died within a year.

we as modern man were never built for an ice age as our predecessors, but adaptation could take place if it began slowly enough for everything to adapt

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by aliengenes

Hi, alien,

I would rather say goodbye.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Well if you die near me ,i wont be going hungry.Mmmm chicken

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I would venture that we'd need some initial emergency help in the first year, but after that, we would not only survive, but thrive. Winter supplies an endless supply of water, kills off harmful bacteria and epidemics, and naturally toughens us up which improves our immune systems. Greenhouses and solar power, compost heating systems, south-facing windows and rock to heat indoors - it can be done with minimal actual effort. We would also have a dream come true with the decentralization of resources, which builds stronger communities. With specially adapted snow crawlers transportation would still exist, and before you knew it we'd have tunnels everywhere. Since the infrastructure was new, and that drilling for oil was more costly and dangerous, I'd say even the ptb would find it in their best options to introduce electro-magnetism or anti-gravity for transportation.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

I am not any of those animals, so - Good Luck!

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Depends on what you mean by "modern man".

As in us, the species, I think surely the elite would be nice and cosy.

As for the average Joe? No way. He couldn't survive a month through empty supermarket shelves.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
This may sound absurd, but is there any way to grow vegetables underground? Could one create an underground garden? I know if it is possible there are brains here who could work out, and explain the science behind the process.
My thought, and I am not in any way educated enough on the subject to understand the why's and hows, but it seems one could do just that.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I live in Canada, we are an ice age... If it gets too cold we go south to toronto's protective anti-snow bubble. Yeah I think I modern man could survive and ice age, well Canada could. It'll just be a bit more chilly than usual, wont be able to wear my skirt during the winter if there is an ice age.

Also during an ice age why do you assume there is no power? Grow things in a green house powered by solar panels, keep animals in a barn. There's your food.
edit on 6-12-2010 by Xiamara because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join