It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you do the dial-up?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Hehe, I love pointless posts.

But really...I had dial-up for a couple years and yeah, I thought "I can handle the internet with this".

Then I got T1 about two weeks ago and I don't know how I ever survived without it. I mean I can now download a 4mb song in 30 seconds as opposed to 30 minutes on 56k. It makes me so happy...

Do you dial-up and if so, how do you do it?

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
broad band is better. i had dial when we first moved here and it was ok, but broad band is better.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I've left the 90's back where they belong.

I rather have no internet than 56suck.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I have to use dial-up when I travel, although in-room broadband is becoming more common. Hotel connections are legendary for their crappiness. When I can't get connected over 19.2kbps, I don't even check my mail and just see what's on TV. Dial-up is painful when you get used to broadband.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I don't have the patience. DSL for me 3m down 512k up.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Dsl at home and wireless when I am on the road, can not be without conection, and can not stay away from ATS when I am on the road. ha, ha, ha,

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I had dial up for many years but thank god for Broadband.

I will never ever go back to using dial up. Unless I have no choice.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I fecking well despise dial up - it really is a pile of old
!!!

I can't wait until I can get cable or DSL !!!!

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 03:27 AM
link   
My visceral response was "Doesn't Everybody ?" lol

Even though I am fully aware that most people have come out of the dark ages as far as puter connections go.

I can't wait to have broadband or cable. Downloading a song in mere minutes must rock.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Yes, my friends. It's true. Friday (7/2/04) I got cable! (Internet
) and my life has never been the same. I was so happy to get rid of 56Krap and finally move on.

To test the speed... I downloaded a 50MB program. (I had already tried this on 56K, and it took a day and a half.) On cable... it took me 2 mins. I cried with joy.

Around where I live (Westchester County, NY) our cable company is Cablevision and their Internet service is called Optimum Online. It is SO DARN FAST!!!

NOW, ATS loads up so much quicker! IT'S ALMOST GOD-LIKE!

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I have a T3 connection whilst I'm at school, and a 56k connection at my house. I'm in a lot of pain when I have to use the dialup here at my house, but there's nothing I can do about it really. My town has just started to receive any kind of broadband connections (living in the boonies stinks) but I'm trying to convince my parents that we need cable or DSL. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before we have it, because this dialup nonsense is foolish.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
We lived with dial-up access for long enough! We switched to cable when it became available in our area (we waited for months but it finally came). There are a few problems with cable connections but it's nothing compared to the problems we experienced with dial-up.

Cons of dial-up: The busy signals, constantly being bumped off line, waiting that eternity to log on, web pages opening slower than my 90-year-old granny moves, etc. etc. etc.

Pros of dial-up: The only pro was... it was dirt cheap ($19.00/month) but it still wasn't worth the money!

We even had to have a second phone line installed just for the computer connection. This cost us an extra $10.00 a month. So all together for the crappy dial-up connection we were paying $29.00. That is almost what we pay now for the cable connection.

What used to take me 30 minutes with dial-up (to check my email accounts) now takes only a few seconds with cable.

We really noticed the difference when we began to download programs. With dial-up it sometimes took 2hr 30min to download something that now takes only 2-3 minutes. It's amazing.

AngelIC

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I used to use dial-up for years... And as our phone line had a DACS service put onto it by stupid BT - I only got a speed of 26.6kbps.

Then I got ADSL (Broadband), and I now get 576kbps. I wish I could get cable though...

My brother has a T3 connection, and that knocks the socks off Broadband (even the faster Broadband).

I don't know how I coped with dial-up... My parents are now very pleased I got us ADSL - they can go and check their e-mails without worrying about the time it may take, or clicking "Connect" each time - we never have to click anything ever again. My wireless router (also a modem) deals with all that, and I only have to restart it (which takes 5 secs) about once every couple of months - it's on 24/7 aswel.

And now, with people traveling to cities - they can connect their wireless laptop upto the local wireless point (many cities have a few of these) for free! And get instant fast Internet

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Broadband baybee, it's worth the extra coin.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I'm with RoadRunner through Time Warner. Not too bad. Just don't call technical support, I wonder where they get their technicians/

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Proud Comcast customer...got 3.2mbps down and 287kbps up on the last test i took.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Proud Comcast customer...got 3.2mbps down and 287kbps up on the last test i took.

Lucky bastard. Most I can get now is 512k down/128 up Cable service. But the company will raise speeds soon so im hoping I can at least get 1.5mbps/256k

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I am stuck with dial-up at home. Can't seem to talk the misses into broadband, or even dsl. That's ok, I do most of the internet surfing and now my posting on ATS at work, with a T1 connection.

Now if I could find a way around that darn firewall.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 04:26 AM
link   
cable all the way i had dial up before omg never try downloading music or movies with dial up but be free to try with cable or DSl
Dial UP

Dsl

Cable

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Even though I have the ability to get broadband and I know the advantages I am a penny pincher at heart. I look at the situation either 39.99 for Bellsouth DSL, 49.99 for Charter Cable, or 10.99 for PeoplePC dialup. While I like the perks of broadband my pocketbook tells me "get the peoplepc".

Heck We Don't even have cable.

new topics

top topics

join