It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

List of facilities 'vital to US security' leaked

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

List of facilities 'vital to US security' leaked

www.bbc.co.uk

A long list of key facilities around the world that the US describes as vital to its national security has been released by Wikileaks.

The US State Department in February 2009 asked all US missions abroad to list all installations whose loss could critically affect US national security.

The list includes pipelines, communication and transport hubs.

Several UK sites are listed, including cable locations, satellite sites and BAE Systems plants.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
UPDATE: LINK TO THE CABLE: Viewing cable 09STATE15113, REQUEST FOR INFORMATION:CRITICAL FOREIGN DEPENDENCIES (CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE AND KEY RESOURCES LOCATED ABROAD)

I hate to post it for reasons I described, but since a good ATS post needs sources, it is what it is.

This list includes mines, gas lines, plants needed for missiles construction, undersea cables, hydroelectric plants, and other areas of interest. The worst part is that it even names specific companies. All it takes is a crazy guy/terrorist with access to explosives and Google Maps to start making a mess of things.

---

Seriously, WikiLeaks?

Obvious targets or not, this one's just stupid. I've been weary of Assange for a while now, but this one really shows does it for me. There's nothing to be gained by releasing this cable. This isn't a revelation of some evil committed by the government. The only only people who will benefit from this release are people that genuinely want to attack the US.

And please, if you're going to mindlessly defend this release, stop and think before you post. What good can come from the world knowing these locations, attacks on which could actually disrupt the lives of innocent citizens?

I'm starting to think that Assange is pretty arrogant. This release shows more than any other that he cares more about his little crusade that the effects it may be having on innocent people.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5-12-2010 by Tsuki-no-Hikari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
This release is confusing, and does seem like a very bad idea. It will give all of wikileaks detractors something real to point to that they are endangering our security.

Almost seems like a rebellious statement, kind of like if you are going to keep accusing us of being terrorists maybe we might actually start to act like one.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
If, and a big if, the release is as the BBC describes, then I agree what purpose does it serve? It serves the purpose of those who wish to limit freedoms, an attack on such installations listed, the finger of blame pointing at wikileaks, and the "virtual terrorism internet security bill" passes overnight. Goodbye internet.

Or, the reporting by the BBC and other news agencies is skewed, wouldn't be the first time.

I don't have time now to find a find and read the release, then see if the reporting by BBC is accurate.

If anyone else can do so, please report back here and inform us before we all jump to conclusions on limited data.

thank you.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
well don't jump on the horses just yet, it could be deliberately placed wrong info!
the person leaking this kind of stuff is a turd in my opinion, and should not have been allowed to that information in the first place, huge mistake concerning nat. sec. if you ask me!

wikileaks putting it out(if real) is just dumb.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tsuki-no-Hikari
There's nothing to be gained by releasing this cable.

wikileaks has nothing to gain from any of the releases, they are merely a media outlet.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Guilp

Why is it "just dumb"?

Honestly, what is your reasoning for it being dumb...

I will say it sounds suicidal... though I bet the list will be rather self evident.... I question if this is highly classified data or not.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
This seems as if its intent is nefarious.
Wont bode well for Wikileaks.

I am not suprised though.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by Guilp

Why is it "just dumb"?

Honestly, what is your reasoning for it being dumb...

I will say it sounds suicidal... though I bet the list will be rather self evident.... I question if this is highly classified data or not.

I consider it dumb because it doesn't reveal anything that the government is doing wrong, which is supposedly the point of releasing the cables. The only new information that can be learned from it are previously unknown targets for attack.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

well isn't it clear why its dumb.
"hey the fire is burning nicely, lets put a few gallons of gas on it"

they could have released tons of other stuff, the timing is just "not to smart"

MBF

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
What is so important about releasing a list of obvious targets? Line 2.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I love watching this wikileaks thing unfold..

all of a sudden people stop asking is wikileaks a disinfo propaganda machine? and start agreeing with the government - accusing wikileaks of being dangerous and saying they pose a threat.

Im not saying they don't, but I think wikileaks is trying to get the balance right between threatening the government and safety.
They will get it wrong ofcourse sometimes because they will make human mistakes too - but I think this is adding credibility to wikileaks threats of having real info that could expose all the corruption that is going on.

Also would like to point out Julian Assange is not wikileaks, wikileaks is a hacker network which can not be brought down by doing anything to it leader.
These guys mean business, and to be perfectly honest because they will be a multinational network of "whitehat" hackers they probably dont care so much about US security but more about making the US government see them as a threat that can not be negotiated with, a higher power that will realease the truth if pushed, even if it has reprecutions - and they are just warming up.
Make no mistake these guys are not angels, they are not on the side of the US of A.

They believe they are on the side of humanity and are attempting to step in to the role of ombudsman for governments. No matter what they say I believe they are more than happy to comprimise the security of the USA for the truth, because they believe it is for the greater good. Just my 2c

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guilp

well isn't it clear why its dumb.
"hey the fire is burning nicely, lets put a few gallons of gas on it"

they could have released tons of other stuff, the timing is just "not to smart"

No... when things seem obviously dumb to the herd... that's when I start to question the conclusion and seek out alternative potential uses of such a release....

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

A former British foreign and defence secretary has reportedly described the publication as "bordering on criminal".

Sir Malcolm Rifkind told The Times: "This is the kind of information terrorists are interested in knowing.

"This is further evidence that they (WikiLeaks) have been generally irresponsible, bordering on criminal."

Sky news
I think the proper name is "Enemy Combatant"

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

you're welcome to come up with a few!

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

you're welcome to come up with a few!

How about secret prisons?

Buildings which would indicate huge coverups?

edit on 5-12-2010 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by byteshertz

I know Assange isn't all that WikiLeaks is, but as the figurehead, he is the one going around arguing that it will somehow make things better to release these cables.

I do like your interpretation of the situation. I think the problem is that (regardless of what they say about not wanting people to get hurt), they're being a bit too gung-ho about publishing everything. The whole organization seems to be getting a bit too caught up in what they think they're doing and stuff like this ends up getting published. Anti-USA and anti-government sentiment may be a bit too blinding when it comes to deciding what actually might be dangerous to publish.

I suppose it's also possible that it's a gambit. The timing does seem a bit too convenient. I'm sure Assange is feeling the pressure right now (that Interpol Red Notice is going to make it very difficult to cross any borders), and this might be a way of show interested parties what kind of information he could potentially release if governments interfere with WikiLeaks. Though on the off chance that it is a gambit, I'd have to disapprove, since he'd be essentially risking the safety to a bunch of innocent people to ensure his own.
edit on 5-12-2010 by Tsuki-no-Hikari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

i am surely not convinced!
and if something like that is present, than it could have waited a few months more!

in my opinion, yeah? get that?,
i was holding back, its plain retarded at this time.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Memo to the terrorists... Please attack these leaked locations and not the really secret and vital locations.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

i am surely not convinced!
and if something like that is present, than it could have waited a few months more!

in my opinion, yeah? get that?,
i was holding back, its plain retarded at this time.

A few months more? For what reason?

Why is a few months out better than tomorrow? or whenever this leak is planned for?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join