It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Beast is coming, hurry!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
The Beast is coming, hurry!
www.bbc.co.uk...

Important point: "Other firms in Japan are also trying to apply robotics to the needs of the ageing population."

"The Hybrid Assistive Limb has been developed by a company called Cyberdyne, and is now being tried out in hospitals in Japan."

Now a Japanese company has developed what may be a way forward.

It is a robotic wrap around belt and legs, like a mechanical pair of trousers, that can be attached to a patient to help them stand up and take steps.

Even one of the worst health crises of her long life does not stop Nobuko Nishi smiling.

The 77-year-old beams at the doctors and nurses as she uses her right leg to scoot her wheelchair down a corridor in a hospital outside Tokyo.

A month ago she had a stroke and it has left her left side severely weakened.

Her left arm is in a sling, her left leg propped up on a footrest.

Mrs Nishi has been chosen to try out a new device developed to help people like her walk again. It is a pair of robotic legs.

A physiotherapist helps strap her in. From a hip joint there are struts running down the outside of her thighs, to another joint level with her knees.

The metal and plastic rods also run down her calves to special shoes she can put her feet in.

The two limbs are joined together by a wide belt that goes round the back of Mrs Nishi's hips.
Ageing society

The rehabilitation room is full of other elderly patients who have had strokes.

Japan is, after all, one of the most rapidly ageing societies in the world.

Some are being massaged to ease tightened muscles. Others are learning to walk again, gingerly clinging on to parallel bars.

Click to play

Click to play
Advertisement

Japan is pioneering robot technology to help make everyday life easier

Many turn to look as Mrs Nishi grasps the back of a chair, and with a whirr of motors rises to her feet.

"Before I could walk without any difficulty, but because of my stroke I've had to start again from the scratch," she says.

"It's very difficult to get on my feet. I am delighted that with the help of Roboto-san - Mr Robot - I can actually move again."

After just a few minutes Mrs Nishi feels up to trying the stairs. She is a little unsteady, but manages to get up and down without any mishaps.

The Hybrid Assistive Limb has been developed by a company called Cyberdyne, and is now being tried out in hospitals in Japan.

Sensor pads on the skin pick up the body's electrical signals. When the patient moves her leg, the machine moves in unison.

It is rather like having an extra set of muscles to help out.

A full body suit is also available, which the company suggests could be used by staff who need to move patients in nursing homes, in factories where heavy lifting is needed or disaster zones.

Mrs Nishi's doctor, Shinichiro Maeshima, says the robotic legs help motivate patients and staff during rehabilitation.

And he hopes the technology could one day offer the hope that people who have been paralysed will be able to walk again.

"It is very important to mix up medicine and technology," he says. "Our target is that the patient becomes happy and lives comfortably."
Guide dog alternative

Other firms in Japan are also trying to apply robotics to the needs of the ageing population.

In Osaka a company called Vstone has developed a machine they hope could one day usurp the role of guide dogs.

About the size of a child it can talk, move its arms and head, and travel about on wheels. With cameras in the place of eyes it can see where it is going and recognise faces.

"He can speak with humans," says Naoki Shibatani as the robot runs through its routine. "He would work at a hospital or nursing home, or a shopping avenue.

"His job is a guide and we want this robot to lead a blind person."

With a nod to the Japanese enthusiasm for things to be kawaii, or cute, the robot has been designed to be endearing.

When setting off it politely asks the user, "Shall we go for a walk", and offers a hand to hold.

It is a vision of the future in which robots do not just help people to walk, but are companions in life.

edit on 5-12-2010 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I think this could have been a great post. Very interesting information. Unfortunately the article has nothing to do with the beast and I'm not sure what you were trying to do with this....hmm

Thank you for the post anyway.
Take care.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
they really need them in the future,!
they will have an tsunamie of old foks soon, and no one to care for all of em.
these robots will help in the care of old and needy , so they will have a better life.

no beast here, go back to sleep.!

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by fasteronfire

I think he is afraid of the coming wave of transhumanism. Too bad, you still have time to enjoy the future OP. Progress is here. Is the lion not meant to catch the Gazelle by sheer practice and repetition? Are the ants not to build their colonies and provide for the next generation? Should spiders not spin a web to catch its prey and provide itself with shelter?

Would you really deny a being its greatest strength? Its natural talent? Its essential factor?

Why would you allow man to be restricted in his technological capabilities? Are you frightened? Are you afraid? That is progress.

"If technology is distinguishable from magic, it is insufficiently advanced"

Remember well.
Our tool is not yet complete. We are growing, and we shall continue to grow.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Progress in the name of, science without ethics, workdays without end, ever increasing winds blowing unto the tempest. A car on a freeway without brakes, an egg boiling in water, slowly heating on a stove. Men traded for machines, and hearts for heads of steel and decay. A disease that spreads like the puppetmasters intended.

We are not spiders, snakes, ants or lions. Anthromorphosize us as you will, we have minds that can transcend all silly logic that natures imitation would suggest the near-sighted mold into their realities.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Northwarden

Oh wow, you miss the whole point of all of this. Hate the idea as much as you desire, but think of this. The first thing to go is the work day, silly man. Machines, that we create (not they cyborgs we become) will produce all, and slavery will be ended. Your outlook towards the future may be clouded by bias and institutionalized fear, but look beyond your nose. This is but one direction we can go. We can turn ourselves into biological masterpieces if we desire. Internalizing our technology is just one direction, the future is open to many directions.
We are like animals, no matter what you say, but we are on the verge of becoming something so much more. It could be biological, technological, or purely consciousness. But what is known is that if we survive, the shells we have now are going to be modified to perfection. Our tools that we have been given are divine in every aspect. Our capabilities will grow, and we shall spread.

Like it or not, its the future. The boy may cry about becoming a man, but one day he will be larger, smarter, and more in tune with the world around him. Its the natural process of things.
It will happen whether you like it or not.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Whatever you think, is your opinion. Just don't include me or any unwilling in your experiments, don't experiment on us without our knowing, and that includes our food and land. Forget about chipping us, always provide opt out policies to your technological madnesses, especially "medicines", and don't expect us to subscribe to your cyborg channel on the msm! When you create a working Skynet and lose control to all your mechanical masters, please be the first to volunteer in the frontline against them.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
personally I don't think that genius and technological advancement should be restricted by ethics. I only hope I live long enough to see man and machine merge, preferably while I'm still young enough.
edit on 5-12-2010 by Electric Crown because: aliens

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Electric Crown

Sooner than later you'll be getting your wish. So how many lab rats you guys going to see tortured to get your wishes in effect?

Skynet, are you ready for it.....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

'Smart dust' aims to monitor everything: Hewlett-Packard
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Big Pharma’s billion-dollar threat
douglassreport.com...

Hidden hazards of nano-ingredients
douglassreport.com...

Way to go progress.

edit on 5-12-2010 by Northwarden because: a typo

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Sounds like the future shouldn't involve corporations and capitalistic greed.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

You would probably be enlightened by some of the subject-matter I've been following. A sampling only ...

Although most transhumanists, especially early on, were secular atheists and would have had little resemblance to prototypical “people of faith,” in the last few years, the exclusion of supernaturalism in favor of rational empiricism has softened as the movement’s exponential popularity has swelled to include a growing number of Gnostic Christians, Buddhists, Mormons, Islam, Raelianism, and other religious traditions among its devotees. From among these groups, new tentative “churches” arose—the Church of Virus, the Society for Universal Immortalism, Transtopianism, the Church of Mez, the Society for Venturism, the Church of the Fulfillment, Singularitarianism, and others. Today, with somewhere between 25–30 percent of transhumanists considering themselves religious, these separate sects or early “denominations” within transhumanism are coalescing their various religious worldviews around generally fixed creeds involving spiritual transcendence as a result of human enhancement. Leaders within the movement, whom we refer to here as transevangelists, have been providing religion-specific lectures during conferences to guide these disciples toward a collective (hive) understanding of the mystical compatibility between faith and transhumanism.

defenderpublishing.blogspot.com...

From : PART 25 -- Forbidden Gates: How Genetics, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Synthetic Biology, Nanotechnology, and Human Enhancement Herald the Dawn of Techno-Dimensional Spiritual Warfare

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Why thank you, sir.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Our progressions are a direct result of our relentless pursuit of modern comforts and conveniences; things that most of us currently consider necessary and/or deserved. These simple luxuries were originally designed, conceived, and created; to make our lives easier, better, and more convenient; but most of all, happier and healthier.

Are we actually any happier than our not so distant relatives from the past were? They were just as, if not extremely more happy; and without a doubt, more spiritually and environmentally aware. We have modern conveniences that make our world more comfortable right now; however these same comforts will eventually cause the environment in which we live to become increasingly more uncomfortable. These modern conveniences will cost us the Earth. Eventually, it’ll reach a point when we won’t be able to exist on this poisoned planet anymore.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric

Sounds like the future shouldn't involve corporations and capitalistic greed.

What are you, a Machine?

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
i will get running then

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
edit on 26/12/2010 by Sauron because: Mod note

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Wow...you are all retarded for humoring this post.."CYBERDYNE" is the evil machine corporation from the Terminator franchise...okayy i was going to say that and just checked it out and its legitimate..lol really? wow..if your going to try and implement robotics on humans be original..the governor of california is gonna kill them all..i saw it in a movie

top topics

join