It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12,000-year-old mine found in Chile

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Wow, I didn't catch the part about the thousand hammers.

Strange, you are right, nobody just would up and leave their tools, something happened?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Greetings from Chile..

This oldest mine found in our Northern part, in the Atacama destert, stands in-line with the Chinchorro Culture. Not only the oldest mine has been discovered in the driest desert of the world, but the oldest mummies too.

Check out Wikipedia. Depending which language you use, there are different dates. The English version states "5000 B.C., reaching a peak around 3000 B.C." whereas the Spanish site states "they lived from 7000 B.C. to 1500 B.C"

...being the world's oldest mummies (!!!)

es.wikipedia.org...

There is a great site with lot's of information, also in English:

momiaschinchorro.cl...

People looking for news (in spanish) and PICTURES regarding the mine discovery, check over here:
www.mer.cl...

www.mer.cl...
(Front page - middle section)
Related articles here:
(Page 19): www.mer.cl...
(Page 21): www.mer.cl...
(Page 22): www.mer.cl...

Trust to have been your servant.....I greet you from the Land of the Earthquakes...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Your reading way more into it than there is

Its not like there are a thousand hammers laying around that were used all at one time. They are mostly hammer stones, stones with a chipped face used to hammer away at the soil, and they would break down and be discarded. A single person might used several hammer stones in just one days worth of digging. So over the course of several thousand years of activity in the mine you should expect to find thousands of discarded hammer stones.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by White_Widow

Its a facinating part of the world you live in, bordering peru (nazca lines, machu picchu) to the north and bolivia (pyramids, puma puncu) to the north east.

Im thinking there just has to be more to chile, even more than has already been found that is.
edit on 6-12-2010 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
this is pretty interesting. how did they make a mine anyway is it complicated. were the people back then samrteer than how we are now

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

You forgot....and Easter Island to the West.

It is a nice, calm place to live. Chile has been in the news this year (the 8.8 hitter in Feb, miners' rescue). The economy is working, easy but upwards. Not much economic meltdown over here. A new president (right wing) since March, who is billionaire.

No chemtrails, no conspiracies, sometime an UFO flying around, but that's about it.

...ahh, forget to mention one thing, what was posted before, about Ice Age in this region. Antofagasta is just on the Tropic of Capricorn. So if you follow mainstream history, that would be far north for ice, but if you follow some alternative stories, like icefree antarctic, piri reis map, pole shifting, .....well everyhting could be possible.

Summerly hot evening greetings......lol.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatisanameanyway

[
Researchers say it is the oldest mine discovered in all the Americas.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Let me guess. They found a Chilean miner who is 12,046 years old in the mine, trapped the entire time, waiting for a movie deal about his life.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10

Your reading way more into it than there is

Its not like there are a thousand hammers laying around that were used all at one time. They are mostly hammer stones, stones with a chipped face used to hammer away at the soil, and they would break down and be discarded. A single person might used several hammer stones in just one days worth of digging. So over the course of several thousand years of activity in the mine you should expect to find thousands of discarded hammer stones.

If you say so. Messy miners, then... gosh, it seems like the accumulation of thousands of hammer stones would kind of get in the way to me-- sort of impede progress, even make walking through the mine somewhat treacherous. I'm now unimpressed with these ancient miners. They were seeming kind of amazing until you said that.

"Org, I done tol' ya an tol' ya not ta throw yer dang spent hammers fer me ta trip on!"

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I have often thought that if ET stopped on Earth to check the place out millions of years ago before mankind screwed the planet up our cosmic brothers may well have left evidence , perhaps buried deep underground or at the bottom of our oceans that we will only be able to find , recognise or understand when we reach a certain level of scientific know how.

Sorry to ramble.

No matter what is down there this is a very of significant find.

Great thread OP. I will be following this story with interest.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatisanameanyway

www.abc.net.au

Archaeologists from the University of Chile have discovered a 12,000-year-old iron oxide mine in the north of the country.

Researchers say it is the oldest mine discovered in all the Americas.
(visit the link for the full news article)

And yet just like the South African mine which is 40,000 years old and this one, we are supposed to believe that around this time people where just hunters and gatherers. We had civilization back tens of thousands of years, then the cataclysm happened and it knocked us back to the stone age and then people had to rebuild. And they rebuild without or with knowledge of what happened and the world of long ago but kept it hidden and changed it to express the views of the people in charge. Eventually we will find something that will bust this whole thing wide open.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by White_Widow

¡Muchas gracias White Widow!

A lot more information in your links than in any of the English language media had reported, including clearing up the location - only 170m above sea level and that far north probably weren't under thick ice cover at at time (excepting pole slippage scenarios), along with a couple of photos of the site.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
As years of technology improve we are learning that the past history of the planet and its inhabitants have been more complex and advanced as we thought and all were not savages and cave dwellers with rudimentary life styles.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
This reminds me of the 2001 expedition to the bottom of Lake Titicaca, where archaeologists found an underwater temple. There's just so much unknown information. I'm looking forward to updates on this thread. I hope this goes somewhere.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
is this any thing like magnetite.
if they had magnets they may thing it is magic from the gods?
they may have had a use that we dont know of.
I need to find out more.
its not easy to star a mine.
maybe there was some thing down there with the iron?
be they have took it all?
I could believe mining of the Egyptians.
as they would have used this.

what I find strange is that nothing much from the past is found in america.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The Atacama desert is littered with ancient sites, geo glyphs and trading posts dating back thousands of years.

this website has some good examples:

Atacama Geo Glyphs

The "Gigante de Atacama" is of particular interest and probably deserves a thread on of its own (if it has not been discussed already!). It is situated near the town of Iquique, just north of Antofogasta.

Gigante de Atacama
edit on 7-12-2010 by ruffrider because: add info

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
No long theories for this one. Another AWESOME find that is rewriting history. Amazing find, I love it! And what else is out there is shocking. Can't wait to see what else we turn up over time.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Clisen33

Well u r not the only one with that problem.At this date I have a problem with all man made so call religions,to me they are just cults to an imaginary god.Which they all profit from,economically that is.Most of the sacred books are incomplete according to many years of research,living most of people ignorant of the long gone thruth.Only now we have some of the past knowledge at our fingertips.The azteca and maya never read the bible when the spaniards arrive to the "New world" to 'SHARE THE EVANGELUS' their civilization start to dissapear.living more questions than answers.WHAT HAPPEND TO THEM??the maya cointribute to modern mathematics the number 0 use in binary codes for early computers.Is this something caused by reading the bible??

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by whatisanameanyway

Link

laht.com...

The find took place in the San Ramon ravine in 2008, although this is the first time that the archaeological team has revealed it publicly, and – they say – it could make an important contribution to the understanding of the prehistoric cultures that lived in the Taltal area, some 1,100 kilometers (682 miles) north of Santiago.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
This story just blows my mind.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I guess I have always been interested in how ancient culture has been downplayed in many ways. I am reminded of Pumapunku and the such. I admire the ancients... help from above or not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join