It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Health Care Premiums Could Reach $23,342 by 2020

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
fdlaction.firedoglake.com...

The cost crisis in our health care system simply can’t be overstated. The rapid growth in cost is the driving force behind our projected long-term public debt and the growth in private health insurance premiums threaten to cripple private industry. The Commonwealth Fund is out with a new study showing just how quickly the situation is worsening.

"As of 2009, the average premium was $13,027 a year for family coverage for private sector employers, ranging from $11,000 to over $14,000 across states. If insurance premiums for employer-sponsored health plans in each state continued to grow at the same average annual rate seen from 2003 to 2009, the average premium for family coverage would rise to $23,342 by 2020—an increase of 79 percent."

With the dramatic rise in costs of health insurance you will see far fewer jobs as most employees will demand health benefits and it will be too expensive for an employer to pay such a high rate for so many employees. So alongside far fewer jobs a lot less people will have access to medical insurance even with ObamaCare doing the best offset they can think of which is 1.5% it would not do much assistance in truly offsetting such outrageous costs.

If the government tried to take over health care then the tax rates would have to rise dramatically in all sectors of the economy to actually pay for it. So that is definitely not optional. The only true option I can see left for us is to remove the requirements for health insurance anything more than disaster care and pay for our health care out-of-pocket and begin setting up church and charity based hospitals for the poor.

Remove this bureaucratic and corporate monopoly and replace it with fair and competitive truly capitalist health care system that will lower costs, provide better services, and create more competition.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I can tell you that, prior to my wife getting a job with good employer subsidized group insurance, I had only catastrophic coverage. Even with no health problems, my premiums were $300 per month, with a $2500 deductible. Fortunately, I never had to use it. This was my only option, being self employed, not able to afford a more comprehensive plan.

The good thing was, my doctor only charged me $35 for an office visit, which is less than the co-pay most are charged.

Of course, if everyone took this option, even those premiums would increase exponentially.
edit on 5-12-2010 by WTFover because: spellcheck doesn't help if you spell the wrong word correctly

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Can anyone explain to me why healthcare costs are rising so quickly the last decade? Why have they risen at a rate so much greater than inflation.

I hear doctors complaining Medicare and Medicaid pays to little - so what is driving this rise in costs?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Health Care Premiums Could Reach $23,342 by 2020

Aw, c'mon, that'll be pocket change by 2020 with the way the Fed is pushing us towards hyperinflation and all.

The $20,000 bill will be the new penny by that time.

new topics

top topics

join