It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next for Americans: Losing their Internet Freedom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
macedoniaonline.eu...

The US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is poised to add the Internet to its portfolio of regulated industries. The agency's chairman, Julius Genachowski, announced Wednesday that he circulated draft rules he says will "preserve the freedom and openness of the Internet." No statement could better reflect the gulf between the rhetoric and the reality of Obama administration policies.

With a straight face, Mr. Genachowski suggested that government red tape will increase the "freedom" of online services that have flourished because bureaucratic busybodies have been blocked from tinkering with the Web. Ordinarily, it would be appropriate at this point to supply an example from the proposed regulations illustrating the problem. Mr. Genachowski's draft document has over 550 footnotes and is stamped "non-public, for internal use only" to ensure nobody outside the agency sees it until the rules are approved in a scheduled Dec. 21 vote. So much for "openness."

With the FCC wanting to reach their bureaucratic paws into the only truly open and free thing left in the United States there are serious concerns now being raised that if the FCC does gain control over Americans internet freedoms it could seriously infringe upon them. The threat is apparently from service providers which claim they will begin to set up internet barriers and charge tolls but is there not a free-market solution to this problem?

Those companies which decide to place tolls will suffer a customer exodus and the companies that have no tolls will have millions of new customers causing competition. However if we put the FCC in control the internet could quickly become politicized, monopolized, and if they decided to place tolls on the internet where are we to go then?

FCC, keep your hands off the internet please.
edit on 12/5/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
This is very very bad,I will stand for no more censorship. If the internet does not remain free and open expect bad things to happen. I liken it to the nazis burning books,I will actively campaign against this.

I deal with the fcc already and let me tell you, they are no fun whatsoever, these are the very last people you want in charge of anything to do with the internet. believe it falls outside their jurisdiction as well but we all know that the .gov can change that on a whim.

I see alot of transparency taking place here...not. Obama our LIAR IN CHIEF

edit on 12/5/10 by nickoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
First they came for the pedophiles,
but I did not speak out, because I am not a pedophile.

Next they came for the pirates,
but I did not speak out, because I am not a pirate.

Next they came for the conspiracy theorists,
but I did not speak out, because I am not a conspiracy theorist.

Next they came for the bloggers,
but I did not speak out, because I am not a blogger.....

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
One more way to restrict free speech... It doesn't matter anyways because the government will just let us know that those who post unflattering truths on the internet are "domestic extremists" and are subject to immediate arrest and torture.

This is the way they keep the poor populace in check and protect the rich politicians from hearing just how horrible of a job they are really doing.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   

With the FCC wanting to reach their bureaucratic paws into the only truly open and free thing left in the United States there are serious concerns now being raised that if the FCC does gain control over Americans internet freedoms it could seriously infringe upon them. The threat is apparently from service providers which claim they will begin to set up internet barriers and charge tolls but is there not a free-market solution to this problem?

One needs to realize the crux of your post. The term bureaucrat. They act via color of law and have heavily armed men who will act based on their "policies". They cannot be voted out since they were never voted in. They are control freaks who have taken upon themselves to change things as they see fit. Both Federal and State budgets could be slashed to sustainable levels upon eradicating these parasites from both systems. As long as We the People allow these unelected vermin to control us via color of law rather than via law, we will continue in the death throes that they have begun for us.

I'm afraid the cure for these vermin isn't the voting box. I can think of another box that the FF used to eradicate the same such vermin.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
S & F

I think this needs to make front page - people need to see this as the biggest threat.
Without communication lines being open and unfiltered any attempts to stop the corruption and bring some transparency through all the lies and manipulation we are exposed to daily will be in vain.

This is our biggest threat ATS.

FLAG this topic.

new topics

top topics

join