It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have to ask - Whirring sound in head?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
(I put this thread under paranormal, because I don't want to only attract the scientists on ATS. Speculation is fine with me, I want to hear as many ideas as you can throw at me. Heh.)

This has been happening on and off since childhood. As memory serves, this generally happens before I fall asleep. I'm curious first to see if one of you has any scientfic explanation. I feel that I should ask, because I have absolutely no idea what this could mean. So I will list symptoms, etc to perhaps help with pinpointing the cause for this.

The sound is very subtle, but noticeable. No physical sensation is attached, at all. It is purely in my head. I imagine it is either a motor in my head, or blood in the brain.

This whirring sound has a pace that can count seconds. 1 alligator 2 alligator.

The sound is only comparable to when you put your head under water. But it is not over-bearing, and there is no feeling of pressure. It kind of reminds me of sticking your ear to a seashell. This is the only way I can explain what this whirring sounds like. It reminds me of a generator, like stated above it is a second-by-second pulsating emulating the sound of being under water but minimized greatly with no noticeable side-effects.

I'm trying to be detailed, incase there is no simple explanation.

Any other questions, please ask. It has been a long time since I have felt this, until last night.

Is this the sound of my brain slowing down before sleep? Or is the little alien in my head cleaning house before he closes shop for the night?

Thank you. I am much more curious than I am concerned.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Are you refering to the underlying sound that is always present when theres no other sounds occuring? Like when you're in a closed room with no eletronics and no ones talking.., you start to hear this sound that eventually gets louder if you focus on it, but its rarely noticeable when in regular daily activity.. that sound?

When I goto sleep, I often get this wierd noise in my ear, but it sort of feels like I'm being shocked through my ear.. It sounds like electricity, and it feels like a shock.. I attribute it to my fan blowing in my face.. but thats only cause it doesn't happen unless I'm laying in bed.

Well, I hope you get some luck on information.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   

with that kind of timing I would think there is some inplant in your head that the grays put in to track you

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

I find similarities in what you are saying, but I must admit that there is definitely no pain - or any other physical sensation for that matter.

I spend at least three hours of my day in total silence, besides the clicking of my keyboard of course. I don't hear this sound any other time, other than at night in bed. Last night I was in bed with laptop, sitting upright in bed when I noticed it.

As far as it getting louder, I don't know. It appears to be a really consistent sound, never changing pace or sensation.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I'm not sure if it's the same sound that you're referring to, but most often times right before I fall asleep, usually if I'm about to enter into sleep paralysis, I'll hear a very loud whirring noise. It's almost mechanical in nature and I can't really compare it to anything that I've ever heard before. If I had to, I would probably say it's closest to the sound of helicopter blades spinning, but at a slower pace.

Auditory hallucinations are actually a quite common occurrence as people are slipping into unconsciousness, and especially when entering into that in-between state of sleep paralysis. It's your brain shutting off and preparing for sleep. It can sometimes be unsettling but it's certainly not anything to be concerned about. Have you ever been laying in bed, dozing off, and hear someone call your name? Or speak to you, clear as day, which startles you awake? It's the same thing.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

You mean like:

Dr. Lear implant removal

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cinquain

Ah-hah, I think we are getting somewhere. Veerrrry slow helecopter, right? The pace is mechanical. I relate.
I also wonder if the pace of the sound coincides with my heart beat.

Hmm, I once scared myself at the age of 7-9 into hearing "Ooooo-.", it was an E major note, a womans voice. That would be my most outstanding auditory hallucination.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

I would bet that's exactly what it is. I've heard everything from random noises to what I can only imagine as my subconscious voice working out problems for me in something as simple as a single sentence. Even though there's a perfectly scientific explanation for it all, it's still pretty amazing.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Cinquain

Well there we go. This does not sound like a unique issue, which is basically the clarity I was looking for. As for what it is, has no doubt something to do with human's physiology. I think it has to do with blood-flow, maybe melatonin taking effect at night-time. Dunno, not a doctor.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
It's your brain turning around

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

I had a feeling we've been told a lie this whole time about brains being "stationary in our skull"

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I can sort of relate to this. I experience a similar thing. The last time was 2 nights ago, before that a few years, used to happen a lot when was in teens.
For me is always when relaxed. I meditate quite often and this feels different. Starts with a sound, then it gets louder and the more I focus on it the more it becomes. Is hard to put into words, is a feeling as well like a vibration and it feels like time is both slow and fast. Hmmmm. If I breathe and concentrate it gets more and more intense. I have never let it get past a certain point and will sit up and stop it or go to to the bathroom.
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing but thought I would share and wonder if others can relate.
Regards

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I can sort of relate to this....
im 22 and since i was about 4 iv had ear problems. My right ear is very muffeled alot of the time and when i lay down i hear a humming noise. I was told but my doctor when i was young that this is just wax moving around in your ear. Its where i was laying on the ear and the warmth from the pillow was melting the wax as such.

could be that get your ears checked out....

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   

It's Infrasound!

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Ok, I haven't really read any of the other replies so far, I’ve just browsed through them quickly, so apologies if this has been mentioned already but I think I know exactly what you're referring to here when you talk about the whirring sound, especially since it occurs to you before sleep, as I believe the exact same thing occurs for me also and has done for a while (started in my early teens).

I do have to ask though; do you ever get the feeling of paralysis when this is occurring? And does it always occur just prior to the feeling of being paralysed?

If so then maybe sleep paralysis is something you should consider (sleep paralysis is common and nothing to worry about and can also be accompanied by this weird whirring sound.)
edit on 6-12-2010 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Hmm, someone above actually seemed to hit the nail on the head yet again - and after marinating in some of the new information today I have to admit that there actually has been sensations included with this in the past. Paralysis isn't one of them though, I've heard about this in regards to night-terrors/abduction cases.

But, I oddly remember now that if I focus on this vibratory "sound", it does indeed intensify. But not in pace, or in the vibration - but the way my body feels. I think I can only relate this as a closing-relaxation feeling, but more of a transe. Like a really deep thought, that causes me to lose connection with my surroundings. It sounds to me like an interesting meditative mechanism that begins when "it is time to go to bed".

Also, possibly unrelated, but after I made this thread earlier today - something someone said sparked a memory when I was in elementary school, (I was trying to get to the bottom of the whirring, so I didn't want to add this earlier)

It was the last day of what I think may have been 3rd grade. The whole day I "wasn't able to have fun", because I kept having the sensation of an out of body experience. I totally, specifically remember standing in a crowd of kids and adults on "Fun day", and having an overwhelming sensation that I was watching myself and everyone else from a different perspective of sorts.

Though I'm still really not suggesting anything paranormal, it was an odd memory. How this may relate is that I could only compare this to the feeling of sleep deprivation.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Hmm, someone above actually seemed to hit the nail on the head yet again - and after marinating in some of the new information today I have to admit that there actually has been sensations included with this in the past. Paralysis isn't one of them though, I've heard about this in regards to night-terrors/abduction cases.

But, I oddly remember now that if I focus on this vibratory "sound", it does indeed intensify. But not in pace, or in the vibration - but the way my body feels. I think I can only relate this as a closing-relaxation feeling, but more of a transe. Like a really deep thought, that causes me to lose connection with my surroundings. It sounds to me like an interesting meditative mechanism that begins when "it is time to go to bed".

Hmm intersting, I have focused on the "vibratory sound" in the past as well and it intensifies for me also. It seems the only thing you're missing here is the paralysis otherwise that's exactly what it would sound like to me, lol

Out of curiosity though, how long does this whirring sound occur for you? For me it can be around 5-10 seconds or so and the paralysis feeling which occurs for me is fairly light even then. (I'm not saying this is SP for you btw)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   

I have on occasion experienced what you are talking about, as well as the loud deafening silence that another poster was speaking about. I also have experienced the sound of my own heartbeat, or the sound of blood rushing. But the most striking auditory hallucination I've ever had, is that of song.

It only happened while I was still a little girl, so it's been many many years since I've heard it, but I still remember it clearly. Not song that you could make out audible words. It sounded more like a thousand voices singing and it was beautiful. I can not compare it to anything I've ever heard in life. I was able to listen to it at any time or place I wanted to, all I had to do was focus on it. Weird huh?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Yeah I understand about the trance thing. How long does it happen for? Do you make it stop??
For me the feeling that I have ,I think maximum I have let happen is around 20 mins (give or take a few mins)
Thinking about it, maybe the trigger event may be intense thought/s or a background sound. Was one or the other of those the other day. I have a clock in my room, can hear the ticking and it seemed to be in rhythm with the feeling, though not the cause..
Does seem to be vibratory in nature though. Again hard to put into words
Take care regards

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Right, there is a tracking implant in your head, maybe it's disfunctional and making the noise.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join