It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Muslim Invitation to Celebrate July 4th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
In a world wrecked by war and questions of a faith known as Islam, one group of Muslim Americans are planning to celebrate the 4th of July with their fellow Americans in an effort to "break down stereotypes" ....

Guardian

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - After their afternoon prayers, members of the Islamic Society of Central Florida double-checked the moon-walk ride, unfolded American flag paper tablecloths and began barbecuing chicken for a Fourth of a July open house for the larger Orlando community.

The celebration, the first of its kind for central Florida's burgeoning Muslim community, was as much about allowing non-Muslims to learn about them as it was about fireworks and flag-waving.

``We´re trying to break down stereotypes,´´ said Areej Zufari, director of communications for the group.

The war in Iraq and the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks left many American Muslims concerned about their acceptance in the United States. Last month, a Muslim woman in Freeport, Ill. and a Muslim man in San Diego were reported to have been attacked by people who shouted anti-Muslim slurs.

``There´s a lot going on in the world, and we thought this was an appropriate way to reaffirm our American values,´´ Zufari said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Welcome to America people!

It does not matter what faith you may belong to or see as your world... Freedom is for all in the U.S.A. and we do have some Islamic brethren who are just as much 'American' as the rest of us.

The war we are in is NOT a war on Islam or Muslims.

Now lets ALL celebrate TOGETHER.

God Bless the U.S.A.

Allah Bless the U.S.A.

Deny Ignorance

Happy 4th!

Related ATS Discussion:

Over 1 Billion Muslims and Growing

[edit on 3-7-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   

It does not matter what faith you may belong to or see as your world... Freedom is for all in the U.S.A. and we do have some Islamic brethren who are just as much 'American' as the rest of us.

What Can I say welcome to America, now I wonder if the fourth of july will be celebrated in Iraq, hummmmm I guess not.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

What Can I say welcome to America, now I wonder if the fourth of july will be celebrated in Iraq, hummmmm I guess not.

well i dont think the fourth of july will be celebrated in england either...

iraqis will come up with their own holiday to mark being rid of saddam one day i'm sure.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Well, despite not being Muslim, I will be happy to wave the American flag, watch fireworks and get ratarsed on Budweiser just like a real American.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I think this is a very cool thing.
It gives the chance to non-Muslims to get to know what Islam is really all about.

Oh btw, celebrating holidays together has been a common practice here in Austria for ages. The official state holiday is of course christmas and we all celebrate it. Austria has a lot of really nice christmas traditions that everybody enjoys, like longer shopping on saturdays, cheap punch and hot wine
, an many other things. So far, I have celebrated every christmas here, although I am Muslim. Oh and I get a day off from work when there is a muslim holiday

So yeah, this country kicks ass, very very tolerant and open minded it is

top topics

join