It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all Canadian Survivors

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Kelliott

I would suggest making a transition instead of just walking out into the "wild" as it were.
Camping is a good way to start with the intent of being self sufficient as the primary goal.
Honing basic survival skills such as potable water,fire,shelter,food gathering and first aid are more than necessary.
There are people with skills that provide training in your area.
If you can't afford such things applying for work or even volunteering in rural areas is another way of getting the skills you need.
Being athletic and eager to learn can be traded for skills.
Allot of people when first diving into this mindset feel they need to "start their own"
The truth of the matter is EGO can get you just as dead as being unskilled.
Make sure you learn skills that apply to each season, winter survival skills right.
There are no guarantees in survival.
Just skills,common sense and hope.

edit on 10-12-2010 by The Utopian Penguin because: there their they're

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

You may be right, but I'm in a difficult position. Currently in university, still living at home with the parents, with little money. I just think if I were to get up and go live in the woods at this point of my life, while things are still running smoothly in my neighbourhood and city, it would be way to big of a jump for me. I don't know what will happen in the next few years, the only thing I can really do is plan for the worst, and make sure I have enough money to buy the things I need before SHTF. Maps, food, clothing, shelter, weapons, and a few friends to take with me is all I need. Im really impatient, if SHTF I hope it happens soon, because waiting for it and not knowing the extent of it or if it will even happen is really frustrating.

Anyways, good luck fellow Canadians!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

thanks for the advice my friend, just for the record though my "EGO" is not ahead of my self in this chapter of my life. Ive figured out about "EGO" and let go of the part of me that needs/wants and thinks I can do whatever.

My background is coming from spiritual, I see as I am connected to the Earth and everything I need to do is there for me to take. yes, skill is a must out there. but im not worried, Im a skilled fighter, I can manifest that skill into hunting im sure of it.

anyways im not too worried about how to survive, not a concern. me and mother Earth will work out just fine in the animal kingdom. I am at the top of the food chain right
ignore my "cockyness" but I just need a party and supllies. No training, no "hope". Its life, humans have been doing it for hundreds of thousands of years and beyond. Im just another soul venturing this planet

If any thing im excited as hell for a departure of society! I can feel it in my soul (have for a while now) that 'out there' is my place to be. The ONLY problem i have about this is my girlfriend, we just shared our 1 year anniversary on wednesday

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Hi, I thought I would join in since I'm learning about Saskatchewan. I've lived here for about 6 years now, originally from Vancouver. I'm where the boreal forest meets the farmland, so it's a nice mix of animals. North of me is forest easy to get literally lost in. I've never been near La Ronge yet, but I've heard it has waterfalls, and it has lots of lakes around there.

The prairie's growing season is very short, depending on what you're growing. Perennial herbs need to be protected in the winter. Blueberries and raspberries grow very well, too cold for blackberries. If you look on a growing zone map:
sis.agr.gc.ca...
you'll see the prairies are all cold zones, but there are lots of wild game, fresh air, and fishing. A friend of mine was out hunting a while back, and encountered a wild boar. It ended up in his freezer, he had to kill it, it chased him out of the bush

When going into the bush and you don't know your way around, go in with a guide first, or a working gps. I've been told people get turned around easy, and never come out. Plus you're not at the top of the food chain anymore when dealing with bears, mountain lions, and wolves. Lots of them here. They would make some nice warm clothing if needed. And any meat is cookable.

In north east BC and Alberta, remember all the oil sands and gas frakking going on, and the rivers run north. Know your water source. Lake Louise area looks good for water, but at 4000 feet up, cold all year. I think it's Canada's highest point, but not sure.

It's hard to know what type of S is going to be hitting the fan, BC would be so good for growing food, but it could be in a geological nightmare zone if the big earthquake hits, too close to the south borders is too close to Yellowstone, North is good, but cold, if the water rises you want to be high up in elevation ......
I don't know anything about east of me.

Check a good relief map to get the topography and elevations, you might not want to be at sea level..
Make sure you have good footwear rated for sub zero temperatures too.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

hey there ! nice response buddy
you seem to know your geography. just wondering if your serious about leaving your pace in society and comfortable with the brush. you seem like you would be though.

anyways, bears mountain lions, wolves etc ... they shouldnt be a problem, because when I do depart and with who, we will be armed with rifles and melee weapons..

well if people are serious about this like I said INBOX ME!! we can talk and get to know one another if your comfortable

top topics

<< 1   >>

join