It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beautiful photos from Outer Space

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I saw these on Daves Daily and thought these were really cool. Wanted to share.

One of the most identifiable interstellar cloud in the sky, the Horsehead in Orion, is part of a large, dark, molecular cloud. Also known as Barnard 33, the unusual shape was first discovered on a photographic plate in the late 1800s. The red glow originates from hydrogen gas predominantly behind the cloud.

This expansive (1-degree wide) telescopic view looks out along the plane of our Milky Way Galaxy toward the cloud rich constellation Cygnus the Swan. It is centered on a bright hydrogen region recorded in the 1959 catalog by astronomer Stewart Sharpless as Sh2-101.

The two brightest objects in the night sky appeared to go right past each other last week. On the night of May 19, Earth's Moon and the planet Venus were visible in the same part of the sky, and at closest approach were less than one degree apart.

Some more photos

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Wow now thats pretty!

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

It's almost surreal
but beautiful nonetheless

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WeBrooklyn

I just hope re-incarnation is a true thing, hopefully in the future well be able to travel the stars and see all the beauty thats out there, then maybe poeple will become inspired and stop killing each other for money. Yeah fat chance

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

these pics are amazing. S&F fo' sho

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

LoL I've always had a little hope for that myself.
It would be amazing to roam around freely among the stars...
beats any resort in this world

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hoaxer

Thanks hoaxer

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Ahhh a little celestial divinity!
Thanks for sharing WeBrooklyn...cool!

Peace,
spec

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
double post, pardon my sticky finger
edit on 5-12-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Or maybe another nice thought would be if we die our spirits in some way become part of the universe.....Wait..hold the phone im getting a little too inspired/excited for my own good, if i continue i might knock the cat off the bed and assend

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I would hope that when we end our time in this world, we'll end up on a planet that we hear of...where we think theres no activity meanwhile the best things are happening beyond what "humans" can see. All the happiness, family and friends that we've lost, no bills, no gvt no worries, laughter, peace, and space travel

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

And thank you optimist

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
When you see photos´like that it almost looks as if the stars are in `walking distance´to one another ! It´s really hard to comprehend the incredible distances between each and everyone.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
S+F. Boggles the mind! Just read an article friday that said the star count in the universe may be way low, imagine that

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JMech

Low?!?
Compared to WHAT?!?! lol!
thats amazing, can you backtrack on that article? maybe link it?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Someone did a thread recently on this:www.astrosurf.com...
and using the zoom feature blew me away seeing just how dense the stars are! When you zoom in it looks like you are standing on a beach looking down at the sand....crazy!

Peace,
spec

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Wow!
Thanks for that link Optimist
From afar without zooming I wouldnt have noticed that, just everything in it.

Amazing

Looking at the picture again it's hard to think the star count is low...so many!
edit on 5-12-2010 by WeBrooklyn because: to add

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

It was the Chicago Tribune and it may have been Thursday now that I think about it. Probably need to be a member of the Tribune website to back track stories. Was a fairly big story and should'nt be hard to search by other means. I guess I should do it myself but am a bit lazy at the moment(been hanging Christmas lights all day)
edit on 5-12-2010 by JMech because: to clairify

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JMech

I found an article in the Chicago Tribune on December 1st that says the count is far HIGHER than initially thought:

300 Sextillion Stars

A new study suggests there are a mind-blowing 300 sextillion of them, or three times as many as scientists previously calculated. That is a 3 followed by 23 zeros. Or 3 trillion times 100 billion.

edit on 5-12-2010 by WeBrooklyn because: add quote

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Just mind boggling, to think how much is out there, and how small we are in it....

And people somehow think we are all alone in this? What an awful waste of space that would be....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join