It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Kim Jong Il really a threat?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I'm sure the man has nukes, and I'm postive he's crazy, but is he stupid enough to use them, nor does he even have the capability to? What about Saudi Arabia? Aren't they a bigger threat than any other middle eastern country? I mean, after all, we have proof that they're harboring terrorists, which is a reason Dubya used to attack Iraq in the first place... I'm sure all this has been said before.. but... is Bush really that incredibly inhumane?

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
i think he's more of a threat to himself, korea and the whole area of the world more than he is the USA. directly anyway. indirectly he's jsut a pain in the butt, a boil that should have been lanced a longtime ago.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidniteRaven
I'm sure the man has nukes, and I'm postive he's crazy, but is he stupid enough to use them, nor does he even have the capability to?

Yes I believe he is crazy enough that if he feels his back is aginst the wall he will try to take as many people down with him. He allwed his own people to starve, why would he care about other countries?

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Nuclear weapons + crazy dictator is always a worst possible combination... there's no way he's not a threat to the modern world...

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   
His country is virtually broke. The people are sometimes literally starving to death. One of the only ways he brings in foreign currency is by selling weapons. He has sold weapons to terrorists on more than one occasion. Bin Laden or others may be able to come up with enough money to buy a Nuclear missle from him. He's much more of a threat than Saddam was.

Additional thought: We need to do all we can to secure all the nuclear matterials that are all around the globe, especiall in the former USSR.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Other "leaders" do what they are told. Kim, who is a apparently a true nut case, can upset the apple cart any time he gets the urge. This makes him very frightening indeed to the people who really call the shots.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the Seven Carrier Groups supposedly headed for Taiwan - and wondered if they might just accidently end up off North Korea, instead.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I understand he's a threat, without a doubt... But is there actually any possible way he can hit US with nukes? I'm not very knowledgable on nuclear weapons, so I'm not fully aware of their capabilities, but it seems like it would be very difficult for him to hit us in the U.S... Am I right? I'm actually not sure.. v_v

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidniteRaven
I understand he's a threat, without a doubt...
, but it seems like it would be very difficult for him to hit us in the U.S... Am I right? I'm actually not sure.. v_v

The Taep'o-dong 2 with a low payload can hit parts of alaska abot 6000 km The Taep'o-dong 4 in development could hit most of the CONUS
www.fas.org...

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
with an estimated 200,000 of his countrymen being tortured and killed in concentration camps sprinkled throughout the NPRK. Not only are they killed for the pleasure of their gaurdians but also to advance the knowledge of the effects of gases and chemicals on the human body. He is totally lacking in empathy. He does not feel remorse. He rules with violence and terror. He is Stalin and Hitler and worse. Caution: The following links includes graphic and disturbing eyewitness recounts of terrible and disgusting attrocities

www.guardian.co.uk...

www.freenorthkorea.net...

For the weak of stomach, here's a less graphic description of life in the kwan-li-so -

www.washingtonpost.com...

So, would he use nukes? I'm not sure but I believe he will test them and when he does, there will be politcal prisoners placed in the testing area to see how the human body reacts to nuclear detonation and radiation.

Is N. Korea a greater threat than Saudi Arabia? Saudi Arabia has oil and oil is important to the US and the free world. Without oil, our economies would falter and suffer. N. Korea, to me, is more of a threat to the Northeast Asia neighborhood than to the US. Japan, S. Korea and China are economic engines that produce large quantities of goods that are consumed by the US and all countries of the world. A N. Korean attack on one of those neighboring countries would undoubtedly disrupt the production and delivery of those goods.

I'm not sure what you're implying abouth President Bush's humanity. After reading about the activities in the N. Korean death camps, how would you compare Bush's "inhumanity" to Kim Jong Il's?

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I apologize, it seems I was wrong...the only question is, how are we supposed to stop N.Korea? I'm afraid that the UN will be against us, after Iraq and all, and even though I don't really care about the UN's approval, and neither does Bush.. could we really go at something like this with a majority of the free world against us?

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
of the attrocities and the death camps until I was researching a response on another thread - "North Korea will test nuclear weapons". It could be it's coming to light now as we become more focused on N. Korea's activites in the lead-up to their testing. If I was more cynical, I could even say it's purposely coming to light now as governments in that area brace for the worst.

IMO, we don't necessarily need to do anything about N. Korea at this time. We have the 6 nation talks going and it appears that we're ready to ramp up the Proliferation Security Initiative. Yes, it's very unfortunate and very saddening that the people of N. Korea are suffering such cruelity and such gruesome and grizzly deaths but we can't stop it alone. As part of the PSI activities, we'll be stopping and boarding N. Korean merchant ships on the high seas. When that happens and we find WMD, that will be the moment of truth for Kim Jong Il. His actions/inactions at that time will determine his ultimate fate.

There's no need to apologize. After all, aren't we both just seekers of the truth? The big light bulb that went off for me recently is that you have to be very aware of the sources of "news" and commentary on the www. A lot of information out there is either pure conjecture or is molded to further a given ideology. We must seek the truth and deny ignorance

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Bush id\s retarted for helping Saudis, and why not let North Korea have nuclear weapons? Beucase it's a communist country? Bush has probalems, and went off and started bother North Korea now. He has nukes why not let them have nukes. When you get rid of yours then they will get rid of theirs.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Because Kim Jong Il is a psycho? "Why not let North Korea have nuclear weapons?" Oh, I don't know, maybe because it's a threat to the entire region? It's not like one day a branch is going to snap in Bush's head, and he's going to start nuking Canada and Cuba... but it could very well happen with Kim Jong.. look at the person, not the country.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Kim Jong Il is more a threat on the golf course then he is in the "War of Terrorism".

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   

From the score reported in that story, he's among the best golfers in the world...so good that he could still rank among the world's greatest "War on Terrorism" concerns - which he is.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by hideous_toejam
From the score reported in that story, he's among the best golfers in the world...so good that he could still rank among the world's greatest "War on Terrorism" concerns - which he is.

This is what makes Kim so scarry having grown up with all of this bull#, he must believe everything. Id love to take a peek at the History books used in school. ...
And in 1969 Comrade Kim placed a N. Korean Flag on the moon, just days after he climber Mt. Everest by himself .........

BTW, you ever notice the more 3rd world or repressive the country the more medals and military style decorations thier leaders wear

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   

BTW, you ever notice the more 3rd world or repressive the country the more medals and military style decorations thier leaders wear

i.e. Mr.Adolf Hitler?

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I mean get real what did this guy do for all that stuff. Lets see this ribbon is for supressing dissidents, oh oh this ones for killing his family. Gee mom must be so proud....

sorry the pic is not showing the link for it is at
en.wikipedia.org...:Ac.militarybrezhnev.jpg

[edit on 3-7-2004 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Oh, and don't forget the one for creating the most efficent gas chamber...

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Lil Kim is crazy but not necessarily stupid. If they launched a missile at the U.S. then they could count on being annihilated very quickly no questions asked.
If they launched on another country in the region they could count on a coalition of many countries invading and overthrowing Lil Kim, even China might step in at that point.

So whats left for Kims nukes? Well one could suppose that the missile mounted warheads would be used as a deterent to invasion - a defensive use.

NK being cash strapped and liking nothing better than to see the west get its due for opposing his and his fathers rule might be very tempted to supply a warhead to a terrorist organization having the ability to place such a device successfully.

This is my main concern with not only NK having nuclear weapons but also countries like Iran, neither can deliver their weapons in a conventional form without suffering massive retaliation for doing so. The alternative is to smuggle them to the target preferably by a group they can deny having ties to in case of discovery.

new topics

top topics

join