It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: Pentagon Issues Mandatory Evacuation of Americans in Bahrain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
In what should be seen as a sign of prudence the Pentagon will make mandatory evacuations of all nonemergency U.S. defence employees and family members. They claim it is the clear growing threat from extremists on U.S. and western targets. But one has to wonder if there could be a greater threat or impending reason for evacuation...

ABCNEWS.com

July 2, 2004 � WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon issued a mandatory evacuation order on Friday for nonemergency U.S. defense employees and family members of American military personnel in Bahrain, because of concern about planned attacks by extremists on U.S. and Western targets in the Gulf state. The kingdom is home to the U.S. Navy Fifth Fleet.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld approved the "temporary relocation," lasting at least 30 days, after the State Department issued an advisory about planned attacks.

"Credible information indicates that extremists remain at large and are planning attacks in Bahrain," the advisory stated.

The move came less than two weeks after Bahrain arrested six men on suspicion of supporting al Qaeda and planning attacks in the Gulf state, but then freed them because of lack of evidence.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well this would seem like a good move in the wake of the beheadings in this region. But that threat has existed in many forms since September 11, 2001. and even more so since U.S. military action in Afghanistan and Iraq. Westerners are always a target for these "extremists" so that threat would have been obvious to all involved.

Could this be a sign of something larger?

Perhaps a new lack of faith in security provided by the host nation?

No mater what this region is quickly becoming a death trap for any American. and no matter what the reason it is a good move to get these people out of there.

It would seem ironic that as we fight the war on terrorism the threats of terrorism seem to increase. But in my view it is expected. and shows that the enemy is reacting in the only way they have... Terrorism.

[edit on 2-7-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by Um_Gazz
the enemy is reacting in the only way they have... Terrorism.
desperation is the word I would use for these tactics, esentially they have lost in Iraq - athough there will be more attacks it will only demonstrate their frustation but will not effect the strategic situation one iota.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix desperation is the word I would use for these tactics, esentially they have lost in Iraq - athough there will be more attacks it will only demonstrate their frustation but will not effect the strategic situation one iota.

Well Phoenix call it what ever you like it is the only tactic they have ever had.

When all else fails get the hell out of dodge!

Really getting these people out of there is a good Idea.. But I do not beleieve the threat is any greater now than it has been for a very long time. So that has me wondering what do 'they' know that we do not.

I think it could be just as possible that there are other reasons for the evacuation.. Because I have learned that everything the news media is fed is not always correct.

When you issue a mandatory evacuation it usually means something BIG is about to happen or there is a very REAL threat to those being evacuated.

But in this case only time will tell... Hey its just the news.. right?

Gazz

[edit on 2-7-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I guess this administration does not want the American public see and american civilian family member like a women or child been beheded on tv, not only will be horrific to the American public but, can you imagine what will do to bush re-election.?

new topics

top topics

join