It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are 30% of Young Americans Mentally Sick? Is it mostly a lack of Christianity i.e. “Family Val

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

Interesting Theory -

In my opinion it is the conquest of humanity forcing people to be what the conquest requires of them.
We have created a system where our perpetual need for money dictates what we have to do, how we spend our time and the rules that dictate the very range of our freedom. We get this amazing, abundant Earth to explore, but have done our very best to ensure that most of us live in servitude to the production of products. In this, we live and learn to promote this effort because our adulthood, validity and identity our all tied to this machine which
of which we have NO control of. Nature once provided the framework, however we have replaced much of this
with our work and obsession.

I think mental illness is abound because we have engineered an insane existence here on Earth. Maybe there is
too much chaos, maybe we have been our own undoing, full steam ahead, ahoy thar matie!

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Your using the words community and family values as if they are related to being religious.
Being religious certainly does not stop you being a bad father or mother or neighbour as I'm sure many people that were bought up in religious households could tell you
edit on 5-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

the real illnesses are Political Correctness.... Affirmitive Action.... Ownership Society....Relevitism...
Humanism.... Indulgences considered as 'Rights' ... a Hedonistic mindset by the whole socirty

It has been shown that young elephants without the presence of an adult male elephant in their
midst turn into raging delinquents....
the proliferating number of RX medications, prescribed to anyone that can fog a mirror, is a major cause of this so called elevation of 'mental' problems/ mental stresses/ mental illnesses... the social fabric is filthy

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I tried going to my local church, but I found it was full of Christians.

I also objected to reciting the creed, which implied that all non-Christians would go to hell.
Jesus actually taught that all who did not care for the needy would go to hell, and all who did care for the needy would go to heaven.
(Matthew 25)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Being a Christian means sanity

Wow,.
Could it have anything to do with coorperate america
or Greed Hmmmm
Id say that any Christian.org is guilty of creating a sickness in thought process.

If the Christian Hypocrites were really followers of what Jesus was really preaching
not a single Christian church owner would be wealthier than the average person.

Family values could be a large portion of the issue,.
but not your Christian background.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Because a child requires parents present...rather than being raised in a day care center.

When women began to fully enter the work force in the 70's and 80's it was thought that everyone would be living high on th hog...with tons of excess money...and each parent would be able to work less than a 40 hr week.

Fast forward 30 years and two parents are working thier ass off to just pay the mortgage. Bait and switch...and kids are carted off to the day care center at 8am and picked up at 6pm..

It is unatural and horrifically damaging.

Either the father or mother should stay home. Buy a smaller house, sell the new car for a beater...do whatever you have to, but kids need to be raised by parents...at least for the first critical years.

Dad or mom should stay home in the begining.

What we see in the USA in terms of child meds and mental illness is just a lesser form of what we see in Russian Orphanages where kids are raised loveless. It creates sociapaths and other mental diseases.
edit on 8-12-2010 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-12-2010 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I struggle with this one.

Believing in alien beings, elves, goblins and fairies.....you're a whacko who probably gets classed as having some kind of dillousional disorder or some kind.

Follow a religion that believes in another being that can't be proved, build a whole life around that and get your kids on board as well....that makes you of sound mind?

Thats not a bash at any Christians here, i just struggle to understand the hypocrasy of the whole thing.

CX.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

How are US youths different than the rest of the World, There are plenty of places in the world that don't have Christianity and the kids are better off than here.

To me it's just plain bad parenting. Too many people have had kids and don't care to raise them. Let TV, teachers, whatever raise them. It's disturbing how much blame gets passed off the parents and looked to be put someplace else.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Personally I feel that what is happening is a direct result of learned behavior combined with quick fix drugs and parents not spending enough time with the children they helped to spawn.

To be fair I know that some people can not help what afflicts them mentally because of a real chemical imbalance in the brain. However it's getting to a point where parents who see behavioral changes in their child do not look at themselves first as the primary cause. Some parents work so much to keep food on the table that they see their child a couple minutes in the morning and maybe for an hour or two at night and that's it. I am not in any way saying that they are wrong for wanting to provide for their family because some do not have a choice in the hours they work or when they work if they want to keep their job or job's in some cases.

Then there are the "status parents" who are more worried about the perception of others. They live a comfortable life, go to parties and see themselves as above average to us common folk. They demand perfection from their friends, from servers at restaurants and can be plain rude if they don't get what they want. Their child or children see this behavior as normal and follow the same path. The bad side to this is usually they are spoiled with gifts in order to keep them quiet or out of the way. When they get older they start to demand things instead of working for it and see themselves as to good to do manual labor or menial work. Mommy and daddy are to busy to pay attention so the child tries to get their attention. At first it's something like low grades to see if the parents or parent notice and when that fails it escalates to skipping class or shoplifting something stupid like a CD or clothes. Usually it backfires because all the parents are concerned about is the public image that might be tarnished and not the fact that all the child wants is some attention.

The flip side to this is the broken home where one or both parents could care less as long as they get what they want leaving the child wondering why they were even born. They don't see themselves as important so they find others usually from the same back round that do. Their friends become to be more of a family then the one they came from and in most but not all instants es crime and mayhem become the life they choose.

People can not blame lack of religion as the reason because I have known people in my own life that grew up in the most loving and structured families who went to church every Sunday but for some reason decided to become somewhat an evil person. I am in no way going to say that their parents did not try to help them either because no matter the love, attention or caring they showed their child they still could not get across to them that they meant everything to them.

In today's world people are more apt to take the short cut instead of the traveled road because the traveled road means having to put forth some sort of effort and lets face it, society is getting lazier by the second. It's a hell of a lot easier to give your kids pills than it is to sit down and talk to them. It's easier to keep them pacified with I-Pods, X-Box and cell phones than to listen to their problems. We have gone away from the days of spending weekends at home with the family to going shopping on Christmas day because companies like Wal-Mart are open twenty four seven which means we have an escape from family time. There were a lot less problem children in the 50's because parent instilled respect for others or there were consequences.

The only true mental dysfunction is that people have made it easy to be a jerk or an ass to others without little repercussion. We watch shows like the Jersey Shore and idolize those idiots because of the behavior they exude towards others. We and include myself in this find humor or little remorse towards others pain in most circumstances because if we did we would be looked at as weak or pathetic. Until family values and common courtesy are restored to the core of this country we can only expect the erratic behavior and mental disconnect to get worse.

Sorry this has drawn out but the cure for this problem as I see it starts with compassion, love, insight and the ability to listen. Until then the edge of the abyss is only a couple feet away and it's inching closer as we speak.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join