It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Draft for Men Only - A Good Idea?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Hello ATS

After reading the following thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There's a simple deduction.

Let's face it, the first connotation most people are going to have is: the draft - manly matter. Women are still excluded, it's something 'off-limits' and the reasons for this are endless.

We all brag about equality but guess what's going to be one of the first adjectives flying toward a man who refuses to fight? Feminine? Girlish? Not to mention some more stemming from the two. What's worse, being called that often causes men to act, as if their pride has been hurt.

Yes, the draft is often a thing of the past, but given the nature of the times we're living in, anything is possible. So why not this sensitive issue coming back to haunt us?

What do you think?

Cheers

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Beyond anything else I don't think there should BE any wars.

Or a "Draft".

But assuming there were, I think females should be drafted too. It's only fair.

I think women should be allowed into combat also. You're denying me a sanctioned right to kill. Don't you think I might like to kill somebody?

Regardless of my gender I'd be exempted from all this, cannot even voluntarily join the military, because I have too many health issues - nothing serious - but they are automatic disqualifiers.

Still, assuming females were drafted and they got desperate and started taking gimps and such - I suppose I could be 'drafted' into the military to do office work or some other non combat position.

So then there is still the argument over the ideological angle of being forced to work toward war against your will.

IMO even those behind the scenes have a hand in, are part of, war, killing, etc. They are complicit also.

So from that angle, and this would apply to either gender also, NO, I would be against ANY war and having ANY part in it.

I think what I would do - should I be "drafted" - I would try to get into some position at a Veteran's hospital or something like that, even though I have no medical training. I could be a secretary there. At least - that would be working toward someone's health and doing something positive.

Or maybe I could get some sort of position with some agency here, that would be of some other service to the country that would be positive rather then involved with the advancement of war. I do believe this was possible/an option - in the past.

Smart cracks aside, I am a pacifist in general.

And I have actually had to confront this issue, from another angle -

I have alot of education in the sciences. If I continue with Physics - there's not a whole lot you can do with this. Not everyone gets to be Carl Sagan. And if you have to constantly hustle for funding - yeah - you're working for the Gov. I really don't care to build any bombs or anything. I would consider myself just as much a killer as a ground soldier if I were designing bombs.

Plus - there is the self preservation angle as well. In the aforementioned work - you might say the wrong thing and find yourself in an underground bunker somewhere taking orders from a little green guy. Or, you might get the sudden urge to "commit suicide".

Yeah, I don't think I wanna get in with these people. I've seen enough lunacy in the corporate sphere as it is.

I feel my energy is best directed toward non destructive things.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
If a draft were to occur, the very first people drafted should be the heads of the National Organization for Women.

All in the name of equality of course.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
A draft?

Who is the "terrorist" this time?

The Iraqis? Koreans? Mexicans? Canadians? .....Americans?

For what? Our freedoms? Our forefathers? Flags?

Enh, send in the South.

They're the only ones inclined to keep swallowing this nationalistic propaganda.

-----

But, in the name of gender equality... we had better get out our magnifying glasses and rubber gloves and start unzipping everyone and making sure their body parts match up with the job description. It's what feminists want -- to protect everything that has the same body parts as them. Our holy gender-equalist representation!

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Women can do anything a man can do. Who are you to deny the rights of a woman? What's the matter? Women can't fight in war? There are many savage women who can kill a person better then any man out there.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Whiffer Nippets

Originally posted by Whiffer Nippets
Beyond anything else I don't think there should BE any wars.

Or a "Draft".

But assuming there were, I think females should be drafted too. It's only fair.

While I don't think the OP provides enough "context" into the situation, my thoughts are:

1. I don't think there should be any wars, either. Unfortunately, this isn't realistic unless some major changes occur rather rapidly....

2. I don't think drafts are an effective means to "win" wars; I think that individuals have to want to serve in the military--for their own beliefs/reasons to produce positive outcomes.

3. Unless deemed otherwise by the govt. military, contractors, etc., then I believe that it is only fair that females are drafted as well.

Many countries already require mandatory military duty from their citizens; some including females (Israel is one that comes to mind off hand)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonjah1

2. I don't think drafts are an effective means to "win" wars; I think that individuals have to want to serve in the military--for their own beliefs/reasons to produce positive outcomes.

Hahahaha. This is America we are talking about here. It doesn't matter what the war is about, if they fight in it they will surely be regarded as "heroes" upon their return. They could be slaughtering children in Vietnam (again) and still everyone would act like they are "fighting for our rights and freedoms"
. Sound familiar?

Sorry, folks. This form of nationalistic military "honor" is the exact same nonsense, and it is evident that they can and will use it to do whatever the hell they want.
edit on 5-12-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brood

Hahahaha. This is America we are talking about here. It doesn't matter what the war is about, if they fight in it they will surely be regarded as "heroes" upon their return. They could be slaughtering children in Vietnam (again) and still everyone would act like they are "fighting for our rights and freedoms"
. Sound familiar?

Sorry, folks. This form of nationalistic military "honor" is the exact same nonsense, and it is evident that they can and will use it to do whatever the hell they want.
edit on 5-12-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

That's why I threw in "reasons". If not for beliefs, then at least the desire to acquire new skills, learn a new language, explore new countries, and make a living for one's self/family.
It is not all so *sinister*!

Additionally, I'm sure if you are serious about this, and surveyed former US military over the years, you would not find that they all feel like heroes once they get home....
edit on 5-12-2010 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Women can do anything a man can do. Who are you to deny the rights of a woman? What's the matter? Women can't fight in war? There are many savage women who can kill a person better then any man out there.

Sorry but the last statement is unreal DEAD is DEAD.

As for women can do anything true, but 95% of the time pound for pound men are stronger.

Take two people of say the 125# range and see who can lift the most climb the highest and go the farthest. I will say it will be a man 95% of the time.

God designed men for that part of life.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
No let the women get drafted to their equal....

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Additionally, I'm sure if you are serious about this, and surveyed former US military over the years, you would not find that they all feel like heroes once they get home....

GOOD

Casualties of the Iraq War

Now if we could only convince the nationalists that make up 85% of the population that they aren't. Too bad they're too busy feeling sorry for everyone and protecting everyone's feelings to see through the sh*-blizzard known as American propaganda.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ACTS 2:38

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

Sorry but the last statement is unreal DEAD is DEAD.

As for women can do anything true, but 95% of the time pound for pound men are stronger.

Take two people of say the 125# range and see who can lift the most climb the highest and go the farthest. I will say it will be a man 95% of the time.

God designed men for that part of life.

God didn't design anyone to kill eachother. Notice the lack of offensive and defensive equipment that our body has to offer, male or female?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by aboveandbeyond

draft for no one war is the thing that stops humanity progressing and keeps filling the pockets of the already rich,surely you know this,the draught coming from under my door is killing me slowly

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

Don't forget - regardless of size - someone like me (male or female, physically strong or weak) - could be "drafted" for our technical knowledge.

Forget females - Gov's draft skinny little tiny guys too. And fat guys, lunatics, and prison dodgers. In the recent past - (some) criminals were give the option of the military instead of prison.

They'll come for all of us.

Everyone will be separated into some sort of "kill or be killed" mindset and reality. This is counter productive and must end. It is especially idiotic when it is the whim of an elite few.

This is why a completely new mindset must be adopted.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Drafts along with wars need to be abolished.. The biggest example of the stupidity of the human race is war.. The 21st century and people still act like savages.. Not a damn thing worth killing or fighting over ..

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
If there was a draft I would want it to include women. This because we the people could use their (government provided) military training, to bring down the current government-dictatorship every bit as much, as we could use it men.
Yep if there’s a draft I would rather die a "Freedom Fighter", than a pawn old soldier (even if do get a nicer, yet less individuralistic, gravestone!).

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brood

Enh, send in the South.

They're the only ones inclined to keep swallowing this nationalistic propaganda.

Hold on there friend. You and I need to have words.

You imply that the South is somehow stupid because of their beliefs in "nationalistic propoganda." Defending your country from harm is the duty of it's citizens. Maybe if you lost some of the privileges and luxuries you enjoy you wouldn't be so quick to perpetuate this false idea that the South are "inclined" towards anything.

Should the you know what hit the fan in this country it will be the patriots from the South who defend your behind after you have no money, no GUNS, and no food.

I don't claim to be a Southerner. I grew up in Pennsylvania and am as Yankee as the next fellow, but unless you speak in defense of their good name, I don't want to hear you talk about the South.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Women die just as easily as men and they always bang on about wanting to be equal, so IMHO they should be allowed to be drafted too. Though the fact that people have to be drafted to be forced to do their duty sickens me. If your country needs you and you're able to serve, then that's what you should do. Or at least that's how I was raised.

I know that I will be first in line at the recruiting office should the military of my country start drafting people. Sure my eyesight isn't good enough to go back in to the infantry, but I'm sure they could find something for me to do in times of dire need...just don't tell my wife because she'd beat me so badly!

Rev

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

My God created man and woman to be equal and similar. Woman can just do as much. Look at countries where women are in the military.

top topics

join