It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homosexuality in birds linked to mercury poisoning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
This is one of those news you don't know where to post.

Apparently researchers have found that mercury may lead to birds being homosexual.

Link to the article

Low levels of mercury in the diet of male white ibises cause the birds to mate with each other rather than with females. As a result many of the females can't breed, and fewer chicks are produced.

It's the first time a pollutant has been found to change an animal's sexual preference. Many chemicals can "feminise" males or reduce fertility, but males affected in these ways still prefer females.

Modern theories say that homosexuality is natural phenomenon. Study may lead to conclusions that environmental poisoning and hormonal imbalance might also cause homosexual activity. For some time it has been speculated that homosexuality might be linked to mothers hormonal balance during pregnancy.

Please keep in mind that study was made on birds and there may not be correlation between human and bird behavior..

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
In just One species of bird yes it is,

Does this say anything about human homosexuality ? No because that was not part of this study,

It could effect humans to , I guess, but that wouldn't explain homosexuality in history from before we started polluting the world with mercury.
edit on 12/5/2010 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Mercury is a natural element.
It exists in nature and it is possible for people to come into contact with it without the help of "evil mankind".

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Maybe homosexuality acts in many instances as some sort of survival mechanism for the species. When a man is too unfit to reproduce and spread on his genes, perhaps an auxiliary mode kicks in and his role is no longer provider and security for a family, rather one free to be at the service of community.
edit on 5-12-2010 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

That would actually make a lot of sense. It would also be an explanation for hi=omosexuality in the animal kingdom.
The biggest question is...

What are the causes and their percentage that would trigger such a reaction.

Especially because homosexuality does not have any effects for a persons health. So the issue must be genetic and then it gets way to complicate. Genes have a tendency to be part of a number of genes that could, could not or even disrupt what effects they have, had or were suppose to have.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Hey now I was only offering a suggestion, not saying it actually made a lot of sense. You keep up with that and the politically correct thought police will be here in a jiffy!

Ya it does make a lot of sense in my mind, too. I firmly believe that homosexuality has increased dramatically over the last few generations as a result of the industrial revolution, and innovations like plastics. As for trying to find out what causes the actual expression?? Good luck with that. Scientists still haven't a clue how genetics fit along with each other. We think we can take a gene out which we know causes one thing, and not expect to have all sorts of other faults come about from adding and substituting genes. The genome seems an integral whole. I think nature has us trumped, and we don't even know exactly what it is we're looking at or dealing with. Just leave it be, and allow it to run it's course. That's my .02c.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I seems pandora's box has already been opened...

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Ya for sure, decades ago and on multiple fronts. What I find most interesting is that the singularity truly already is here. Nobody has a clue where this all leads. I think perhaps there will be a wonderful evolution which results, but in the process it seems there will be much, much suffering. I guess that's the way it's always been, though... so what of it?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Already posted this topic here
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Regards

new topics

top topics

join