It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny Brained Bees Solve a Complex Mathematical Problem

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
slime mold is smart, too; and it doesn't even have a brain.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phractal Phil
slime mold is smart, too; and it doesn't even have a brain.

WOW great read, thanks..

First time hearing about that.

Some infor for others:

In 2000 Toshiyuki Nakagaki announced that an amoeba-like slime mold was able to find the shortest distance through a maze, which is nearly the equivalent of saying a bit of Jello was able to jump up and run out of the refrigerator by itself. How did a nearly inanimate object solve such a complex problem?

thinkorthwim.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

WOW, oozy,

Great post.

This is why I cannot kill anything, even spiders. And when I squash an ant I feel horrible.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

Originally posted by DOADOA
don't be stupid, they didn't solve anything. this is as natural as water flowing down a river. it's almost comical that people would waste their time on such pointless subjects.

Actually your narrow viewpoint is much more comical than discussing the OP.

No one said it isn't natural.

No one said it isn't like water flowing down a river.

But

We know how a river flows down a river.

We know why a river flows in a certain direction, we know why in certain speed, we know why in splashes etc etc..

Do you get where I'm going with this?

A river does not process anything, a river flows from top of the mountain to the bottom because of gravity...

A Bee chooses the shortest path from point A to point B, because?

fascinating. so a bee put on a pair of glasses and hiking backpack with map and pen in hand. it then drew lines from point A to point B, did some measurements and found the shortest path. how extraordinary. its not like how i can manipulate a plant to bend left or right with light is it?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   

fascinating. so a bee put on a pair of glasses and hiking backpack with map and pen in hand. it then drew lines from point A to point B, did some measurements and found the shortest path. how extraordinary. its not like how i can manipulate a plant to bend left or right with light is it?

You didn't answer my question.

Why would a Bee choose the shortest distance?

and

How does it calculate the shortest distance?

GOOD LUCK

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

they do not choose or calculate anything. it solving a problem is a lie, it did not solve anything. they survive using instinct and instinct do not require thinking process, it is hard wire into their genetics like a programmer would with macros. if you consider this article to be a show of intelligence than i can understand where you're coming from.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   

reply to post by oozyism

they do not choose or calculate anything. it solving a problem is a lie, it did not solve anything. they survive using instinct and instinct do not require thinking process, it is hard wire into their genetics like a programmer would with macros. if you consider this article to be a show of intelligence than i can understand where you're coming from.

That's what I'm saying, they got a brain the size of a grass seed, it still has to calculate it, even if it is hardwired.

It needs processing doesn't it?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join