It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edible & Medicinal Plants PDF File

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
PDF File

Found this guide as a free PDF download on this website. There is also a lot of survival and disaster tools available here. There are also other free downloads available on different subjects.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
All great stuff to know, but if you really care, buy a good book or two. When you might need it most you probably wont have access to your internet or computer.
One of my favorite things to do is taking hikes and harvesting herbs.
Wild food is pretty much the best stuff ever...

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I got to Elderberry before I found a major mistake.
Under Elderberry is says:
Edible Parts: The flowers and fruits are edible. You can make a drink by soaking the
flower heads for 8 hours, discarding the flowers, and drinking the liquid.

Raw fruits of Elderberry are poisonous.

Par for the course,
The only edible wild plant book I trust 100% is the Petersons Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Ripe elderberry berries are safe to eat.

The leaves, twigs, branches, seeds and roots contain a cyanide producing glycoside. Ingesting any of these parts in sufficient quantity can cause a toxic build up of cyanide in the body. In addition, the unripened berry, flowers and "umbels" contain a toxic alkaloid. Due to the possibility of cyanide poisoning, children should be discouraged from making whistles, slingshots or other toys from elderberry wood. In addition, "herbal teas" made with elderberry leaves (which contain cyanide inducing glycosides) should be treated with high caution. However, ripe berries (pulp and skin) are safe to eat.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I hear nothing but good things about the Peterson book, does it cover just the U.S. or other countries and continents too? I'm getting it for Christmas.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by immortalcamel

I hear nothing but good things about the Peterson book, does it cover just the U.S. or other countries and continents too? I'm getting it for Christmas.

It was actually written for the Eastern US although there are some western plants included. If you live west of the Mississippi I would find another book In addition to the Petersons.
Many of the plants shown grow in the Western US.

I was wrong, unripe (not "raw") berries of the elderberry are poisonous. Where did I get "raw" from?

edit on 6-12-2010 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Ah ok, thanks. I'm in the central region of the US, Oklahoma. Still good to have I think, never know where you might be should the SHTF. I know this general area pretty well, other coasts and regions not so much.

new topics

top topics

join