It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a simple question

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Very simple: why, with all the new technology, automation and general increasing state of knowledge do we work harder and longer than ever? I was told, as young schoolboy in the 70's that the biggest problem facing the future was what to do with all our 'spare time'.

By now, we should all be living easily, fruitfully, healthily etc. Art & science (and sport) should predominate our time.

What happened?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by hmmmbeer

I remember being told the same thing.

The answer is very simple.

"They" lied...

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
It becomes a lot harder to control a person's mind who has a lot more free time on there hands.

They want to make men and women work harder and and longer, so at the end of the day and week they are so tired that they can no longer think.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Because they love abusing us. They like to keep us in the dark about our true potential. When we talk about the magical things under the sun, we are censored. We are slaves mate, that's it. Slaves. We are taught that the system is the only thing that can truly make us happy, but it makes us happy temporarily. We have been lied to on the most hardcore level about our potential and its these business suits that will continue to push their ways onto us unless we snap out of it mate, unless we start trusting each other again and weed out the controllers, the liars, the sell outs.

It breaks my heart every single day to read post from new people, old people that wonder the things i wonder, then i begin to wonder, why can't we just unite and end all of this? Everything is too simple, and its that thought that brings pain to my chest. Its that thought that sparks a tear.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by hmmmbeer
Very simple: why, with all the new technology, automation and general increasing state of knowledge do we work harder and longer than ever? I was told, as young schoolboy in the 70's that the biggest problem facing the future was what to do with all our 'spare time'.

By now, we should all be living easily, fruitfully, healthily etc. Art & science (and sport) should predominate our time.

What happened?

If you're tired from working your 40 to 60 hour week, who the Hell has the ability to PAY ATTENTION? We weren't lied to as youths. Our teachers and parent's honestly belived what they were telling us. Do you know who else works incredibly hard, and the only thing on their mind is working? Ants, and bees. We are mearly insects to the elite rich, and the powerful. They need US to do their jobs. While we aren't paying attention to them, they slowly but surely take over. We could either decide to work 10 - 15 hours a week, and starve, and lose our homes, or, we could work our 40 - 60 hours, and barely get by. That's how they control us. By giving us JUST ENOUGH to survive. Then they move in for the kill. That my friends, is called the New World Order.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I guess the [my] answer is implied in the forum I chose.
Half the world works for, half works against. Lawyers, accountants, economists etc. Even the police are working against. We're all slaves to the NWO. A society with time on their hands would be very dangerous - they might start thinking and questioning and exercising free will. And that would be disastrous for the NWO.
Somehow we need to regain our freedom. Stop over-development, growth, GMO foods etc and start utilising the arts and science for good instead of evil.
First stop - the media. They control the perceptions. Just look what they did to Jesse Ventura when he got too close.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Time is money; and while there is time, there is money to be made. Chop chop
...... I do like that bit of research that shows afternoon naps make employees more productive. Hope that's not disinfo.

edit on 5-12-2010 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
You're right. What happened. I totally forgot... I heard this throughout my teens. And now. Look at what's happened. So this is the future? What a dystopian nightmare.

Remember this?

I.G.Y. (International Geophysical Year)
Donald Fagen

Standing tough under stars and stripes
We can tell
This dream's in sight
You've got to admit it
At this point in time that it's clear
The future looks bright
On that train all graphite and glitter
Undersea by rail
Ninety minutes from NewYork to Paris
Well by seventy-six we'll be A.O.K.

What a beautiful world this will be
What a glorious time to be free

Get your ticket to that wheel in space
While there's time
The fix is in
You'll be a witness to that game of chance in the sky
You know we've go to win
Here at home we'll play in the city
Powered by the sun
Perfect weather for a streamlined world
There'll be spandex jackets one for everyone

What a beautiful world this'll be
What a glorious time to be free

On that train all graphite and glitter
Undersea by rail
Ninety minutes from NewYork to Paris
(More leisure for artists everywhere)
A just machine to make big decisions
Programmed by fellows with compassion and vision
We'll be clean when their work is done
We'll be eternally free yes and eternally young

What a beautiful world this'll be
What a glorious time to be free.....

link   

Originally posted by sparrowstail
Time is money; and while there is time, there is money to be made. Chop chop
...... I do like that bit of research that shows afternoon naps make employees more productive. Hope that's not disinfo.

edit on 5-12-2010 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

Thats only useful info is you value money more then your life, health and happiness. But you are correct, a happy and untired person will always work better than a grumpy tired one. Thats why most places frown on the nap thing.

link   
Because if we live up to the promise, we'll stop advancing in the direction we've been guiding ourselves into. If we keep on working to make more and more, we have more false hopes to give our children and them to give their children. The promises motivate us to work for them instead of work for ourselves... that's why.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
What a glorious time to be free?
We need a revolution of the mind.
It's almost time...

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I hear ya hb, I remember thinking we'd be living in a sci-fi type of world by the 21st century, and many diseases would be cured, and we would all have flying cars!
What the heck happened?
I think it was the influx of the neo-cons during the 80's which positioned themselves and loosened regulations, making fertile spawning grounds of "profits before people." This is just my opinion,

I like Elizabeth Warrens explanation, she is the head of Consumer Protection Agency:

Peace,
spec
edit on 5-12-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

What happened?

We missed the boat. Now we can watch those 60 something year olds enjoy their hefty Union-negotiated retirements, even as our own retirement ages get pushed in to the seventies. Thank you baby-boomers.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
slaves to the system.
there is no greater prisoner than one who thinks he is free.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

What happened?

But people on benefits are living easily and happily. Mostly participating in recreational activities* in their free time.

*The definition for recreational activities may vary, but is not limited to : Smoking, Drinking, Drugging, Watching TV, Playing games consoles, Playing on their computers, Browsing the internet, Texting friends, Phoning friends, Drinking, Smoking and last but not least, drug taking.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
television took over

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
We all got sold a lie by TPTB, in order to make our entrace into the militry industrial complex morally palatable. And now that you are inside, as a good wage slave, they cannot have you with excess spare time or you just might start thinking for yourself!!!! and they can't have that!

Stay within your pay grade, don't step out of line, and you life will be comfortable according to you means.

What a joke

I heard the line, I fell for it.

I am working on getting myself out. Put it is a precarious slippery surface. and the landing is ever so soft and sweet smelling. Like the smell of lilies, which for insects, actually mimic the smell of death.

How appropriate.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

What happened?

You could live exactly like your parents (or grandparents) did, but you want more stuff. You're unwilling to live in a modest home with a single car garage. You want tw3o or three and the cars have to be new. You want the finest cameras, the biggest TVs,, and the most expensive sound systems,. You want computers, air conditioning, central heating and washers & driers. Your Master Bath has to be bigger. You work mnore hours because you want to buy all this stuff.

For the record I've rarely worked more than 40 hours a week, ever. And I worked a lot less hard than my parents or grandparents. I do live easily, fruitfully, and healthfully, etc. All my time is "spare' time. So for me, at least, your premise is incorrect. And I'm not in any way special or unusually lucky. But my 'need for more stuff' is probably less than many.

One of my kids has so much stuff his amply sized house can't hold it all. He has more "cylinders" than anyone else I know He has three new cars and a couple of classics, four wheelers, motorcycles, a new boat, and several large screen TVs. He lives "on the lake" P.S.: It's a crappy lake. He makes three times more money per year than I ever did. He's also in debt up to his eyeballs and beyond with a negative net worth, and I don't think he is very happy.

Nobody lied to us. Nobody has oppressed us. Nobody has cheated us. But we have much different attitudes about life. I would suggest to you that blaming Big Brother, the NWO, the Illuminati, etc. is simply a way for you to avoid taking the responsibility for your own life. If you're in a bad place, YOU made the decisions that put you there. No one else, anywhere, is out to "get" you or enslave you. What utter and complete nonsense.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I never got told that and i was a kid in 80's.

The world needs to be practical enough said.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Robots cost money to build, money to maintain.

we get born, and only cost them about $40000 a year.

We are the capital.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join