It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ibuprofen Can Kill Your Dog

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I just returned from the vet for my dogs nail, that split all the way up to the skin and first of all, if that happens, you should cut the nail all the way back past where the split begins and yes, that sometimes includes past the quick. I actually flinched more than my dog, but still I know it's tough to decide to cut that far up, but if not, it can get infected and require surgery. Then the vet applied some instant skin or whatever you can find that coagulates blood flow.
Now the BIG news for me was NEVER give you dog IBUPROFEN or TYLENOL! I found this out after giving my girl a couple of em'.
She is my first doggy and I just did not know. Don't worry she is fine, but when I told the vet, her brows raised up fast!
Aspirin is the only thing my vet recommended for over the counter remedies for pain. I feel like a fool for not knowing this, but as pertinent as this info is, I felt compelled to share it.

Thanks,
spec
edit on 4-12-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I use super glue on my dog Sampson (half mastiff and half boxer) nails. His nails split a lot from digging and trying to run down and eat horses

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

Superglue huh? Well it has become a part of most medical packets these days, thanks for the tip!
I hope your horse is fast!

Thanks for the reply,
spec

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Grapes are also terrible for dogs (and raisins)

garlic and onions are bad as well (sulfur)

Almost all human food is bad for dogs (and us) ... except for meat.

Dogs should only eat what a wolf eats

good luck...dogs are great

be good

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I have a Basset Hound - very lazy, ain't never caught a rabbit, so he doesn't have nail problems. I too was not aware that ibuprofen is dangerous to dogs (probably cats too). However I never give my pets anything I don't research first. Glad your dog is alright and hope the nail heals quickly.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Wow, I did not know that! I am a BIG dog lover and owner(4 beagles) but had no clue about this. I have had to deal with a split nail before past the quick and the Vet told me to use flour to help stop it. It took a while but it worked. I never thought about the super glue...as I have used it on myself for wounds that should have required stitches and it worked as intended. Anyway I spilled a bottle of Ibuprofen and fortunately my dogs turned their nose to it, try keeping 4 dogs away from spilled popcorn, that was what I feared. Thanks for the info.....from both of the 1st 2 posts!!! S+F

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Sampson got bit by a copper head a couple years ago and the vet pumped him full of antibiotics
and told me if he has any reactions to any thing to give him Benadryl I was

But it work
edit on 4-12-2010 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
[more

Glad your pup was ok. yea Benadryl is safe for dogs and if they have an allergic reaction to anything you can give them half a pill and it will help. If I take even half a pill I become a sleep walking stooge!!! lol Not recommended for some humans

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
before you give your dog anything google it first mane

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Yea those copperheads are nasty, glad Sampson fared okay.
I remember my friends used benedryl for their dog's allergies, and they had said their vet recommended it. This is good stuff to know man.
Since there will be some dog lovers chiming in here I want to recommend a doc a saw recently that shed some really cool insight on our animal friends, called Dogs Decoded, and I made a thread on it, Here

spec

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

before you give your dog anything google it first mane

TruDat

2nd

spec

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
It never would have occurred to me to give my dogs (or cats) any kind of human medicine besides Benadryl. But good to know anyway. Good tip on the super glue too.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Ya know I am probably a little guilty of "humanizing' my dog, just like Ceasar(dog whisperer) says NOT to do too much of. I just saw her in pain, wincing and limping so I thought I'd help her out, but man o man can you imagine poisoning your own dog?
That's why I'm telling people my experience so they will know.

Thanks for the reply,
spec

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Well everyone knows about not giving a dog chocolate, never heard of the grapes.
My dog loves frozen grapes, carrots, whip cream, and jellybeans

Normally though his everyday food is Natural Balance, limited ingredients, great stuff.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Here's a list of human drugs that pets can use:
www.diamondpaws.com...

FTR, I would use the internet for information, but you need to be aware of which site you are using, some are not reliable....IMHO.
Your vet should be a good source of what you can use and how much.

Also, it is NOT true that the only human food good for dogs is meat!!!!
Dogs enjoy many fruits and vegetables and in small quantities are fine.
If you feel you must home cook for your dog, do a lot of research, and know that you will need to supplement that human food, as it is deficient in some vitamins and minerals that dogs need.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

very lazy, ain't never caught a rabbit, so he doesn't have nail problems.

Thanks for the sentiment cd, I appreciate it. She's doin' fine, acting like it never happened.

Peace,
spec
edit on 4-12-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: sp

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Its a dog

My buddy sampson
edit on 4-12-2010 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Man what an animal! I am sure you are proud.....and protected!!! He's gotta be 180+, no?
Very cool hillbilly, looks like them thar hills are safe!

spec
ETA: I would absolutely s*^# myself if I ran into that at night(or day) somewhere!
It's crazy, he is both magnificent and terror striking at the same time!

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Hes the biggest baby you'll ever see. The UPS man came last week and sampson ran behind the house and would peak around the corner to see if the coast was clear. He would bark and run bark and run. Now if any one come over and Im not home he wont let them get out of their car. Ask the the local deputy sheriffs. One came about a ATV I had for sale while I was in town, I met him on his way back down the mountain he asked who had the ATV and whos dang monster in the front yard. I told him mine and mine.
He told me sampson wouldn't let him out he just sat at the door waiting. I laughed at him and went up to the house.and never saw him again.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the info on that. It probably saved a lot of people from unintentionally poisoning their dogs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join