It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got a new netbook?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
2 months ago I bought a Acer netbook, which runs Windows O/S. Luckily my Norton antivirus software comes in a new netbook version. Anyone else out there who has used a netbook recently? What do you think of them?

At the end of December 2010, I hope to be able to use my netbook to download e-books from the new Google Editions store that will finally be going live. Google Editions is the long-awaited e-book wholesaler and retailer for e-books. Since Google Editions will be open-source, I should also be able to download public library e-books For Free, whoopee. Here is this month's story on the Google Editions website startup from The Wall Street Journal:

online.wsj.com...

True, my netbook needs recharging after 8-10 hours, but I'm never online for more than 3-4 hours at a time anyway. (There's a thing out there called Real Life, ya know.)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Hmm.. My Actual book never needs recharging, and was available 100 years ago,,

sadly, I can only read one at a time

Sometimes I'm not sure if the tech is worth it, but Im getting blind and my memory is oh what a weird sound that bird is making outside...

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Hi there. I have tons of actual books, and I will probably never get rid of any of them, but my bookshelves were long since filled, so something's gotta give, that's all.

I still buy plenty of real books, especially cookbooks.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
Sometimes I'm not sure if the tech is worth it

I agree - when the world is in darkness, electricity is gone and batteries are drained, I'll get comfort from my collection of physical books, virtual is great for portability but does not particulary hold the test of time like paper and ink. My cassette and VHS tapes are all but useless now....

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

edit on 4-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Uphill

You know that you can get thousands of free (and copyright free) books from Project Gutenberg?

I know that, because of copyright laws, those are mostly old books, but there are some very good books in there.

As for netbooks, I am waiting for a smaller format, something between a netbook and a PDA.

Edit: I suggest Avira as an anti-virus, much less resource-hogging than Norton. And it's free.
edit on 5/12/2010 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
You know that you can get thousands of free (and copyright free) books from Project Gutenberg

I didn't know that - thanks for the link =) nice to get some free books to read.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The app Stanza for iphone has free books from FeedBooks, Project Gutenberg, Random House, Munseys, BookGlutton, & Try Harlequin. They may also be free to other media, I cannot say 100%.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
You can also download and read a lot of e-books from www.scribd.com....

Magazines and a lot of good books.

Check it out.

new topics

top topics

join