It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blair and the labour party

page: 1

join
share:
dom

posted on Mar, 17 2003 @ 06:30 AM
link   
This is a slightly anglo-centric thread, but I just wanted to ask how the British people on these boards are feeling about Blair's policies. Are you still detecting a lot of anti-war sentiment or are people starting to fall into line?

Also, Blair has announced a debate in parliament (UK equivalent of Congress) for Tuesday, but I bet he goes to war this evening so that anyone who votes against him will be seen as a traitor by the press. Even the LibDems have said that when war starts they'll fall into line, so this is the best chance for Blair to appear to have a united backing... anyone think that I'm overly demonising Blair with that statement?

arc

posted on Mar, 17 2003 @ 06:44 AM
link   
hmmm good question there dom

in my circle at least there is still a lot of antiwar feeling but it's more out of fear of consequences than people being anti-blair. Although the anti-Bush sentiment is still pretty strong it is generally agreed that Saddam must GO

However most people I know do have a strong sense of patriotism and will support our forces through til the end

I don't think you are demonising Blair with your statement. He is a leader in a very difficult position and realises the last thing we all need at this moment is a government disintegrating at the start of war. If he is playing the spin game to keep things together then in this case I think it's the only option he has

dom

posted on Mar, 17 2003 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Just thought you guys might like to know... London paper, The Evening Standard's lunchtime edition has the headline "War within hours" at the moment.

I think it'll be this evening, with Tony Blair bullying MP's into line tomorrow. How totally disgraceful.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 08:55 PM
link   
back when I was doing my A-levels, my two greatest passions were the Manic Street Preachers and the labour party.

Both were left wing, commited to their beliefs and not afraid to say what they ment, instead of what they thought people wanted to hear.

'New Labour', much like the new (and by new I mean post Ritchie) Manics, seem to have lost all the things that made 'old' labour great. You think Kinnock would have taken a single ounce of crap from that jumped up gun fanatic, who now leads Blair like a tightly muzzled bitch on a leash? You think Ritchie would have had a damn thing to do with the trite pop crap the manics now churn out at the demand of thier record company?

Maybe people are less ideolistic today, or maybe the church of $$$ is getting better at disposing of it's heretics.

What ever the truth is, it's a sad one.

top topics

join