It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hearing loss pandemic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
According to a just-published book, The complete idiot's guide to hearing loss, 30% of U.S. adolescents now are showing hearing loss. That is a huge increase in this problem. The Amazon link for that book is:

www.amazon.com...=pd_sxp_f_pt

The book's 3 authors include 2 MDs and 1 PhD, who are all associated with a North American hearing clinic (the House Clinic). The purpose of the book is to educate people about 1) the many steps they can take proactively to protect themselves and their families against the threat of hearing loss, and 2) what to do if you suspect you are at risk of hearing loss.

I just ordered a copy of this book yesterday and will post an update here when I read it.

I remember in the 1980s when the Sony Walkman surfaced, the use of earplugs for music listening skyrocketed. Now, of course, we have the iPod, gaming systems etc., all with in-ear earplugs, as if that was ever a good idea.
edit on 12/4/2010 by Uphill because: added the name of the clinic.

PS: I posted this as a medical story rather than as an epidemic story because hearing loss is not a contagious disease.
edit on 12/4/2010 by Uphill because: Clarify why this post appears in the ATS Medical Section.
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I believe it. A child of the eighties I attended well over 100 concerts during my teen years. Many of them spent front row. Oh if I could do it all over again I would protect my hearing! I have constant ringing in my ears now and a significant hearing loss. It sucks.I feel bad for all the kids now who live the greater portion of their waking hours with ipods. Any youngsters reading my post, protect your hearing please!

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Uphill

According to a just-published book, The complete idiot's guide to hearing loss, 30% of U.S. adolescents now are showing hearing loss

Well according to this ATS member they could well be the chosen ones - www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
My parents were musicians. I remember my dad used to always take me to band practice and I would often sit inside the drummers' bass drum

I'd get to go to a lot of their shows when I was younger; falling asleep in the bars while they were playing, or in a room in the hotel nearby the lounge- so I always heard the music, no matter what.

I use to always date musicians (don't want to go into that psychology xD) and would be dragged along to their band practices too, haha.

So all that, on top of many a loud heavy metal concert, I'm pretty sure I'm losing my hearing. I don't hear certain decibels well- like men with deep voices are sometimes hard to hear. Constant annoying ringing in my ears- I use a fan to help block that noise now.

Never used headphones regularly though. They hurt my ears.

But I still like loud music

edit on 4-12-2010 by MzMorbid because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I'm always after my kids about blaring their car stereos and having the volume up so loud on their Ipods. I can here their music even when they have their earphones in! I can't here like I used to and I'm 51. I can't imagine how much hearing loss this younger generation is going to have before they reach 50. As much as I warn my kids about listening to loud music, they continue to ignore my warnings. Heck, what do I know I'm just dad.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The problem is HEADPHONES!

....that is all.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Uphill

We hear multiple reasons for hearing loss. Music is blamed a lot. One thing we don't hear about is not exactly a sound. It is the air pressure battering on the ear drum by wind. Most commonly caused--especially to guys--by driving with the car window down and air buffeting the left ear. This explains the left ear hearing-loss syndrome, but the reason is usually explained as road noise and machine noise, not the wind itself.

And, you youngsters, don't think that a set of pricy hearing aids, about 43k bucks, will solve your hearing problem. I can tell you they are not a solution. They can help a bit in some situations, but they are not a solution.

For anyone, yourself or a friend or family member that is thinking of getting hearing aids, I would insist that the purchased have a 30-day money-back policy. Hearing aids these days are more or less one-size-fits-all in physical apperance, The ;molded to the ear variety are passe. The innards of the new type are adjusted to the individual by a wireless computer program for specific ranges of loss. So if you were to demand a refund those same units can be adjusted to the next person. The seller is not going to be taking a huge loss.

I have had two units since mid-summer. I'm still not sure of my position on them. Despite the insistance of the seller, I will not wear them all of the time because I don't socialize that much and that was the only reason I wanted them, for female voice ranges. Those particular ranges, enhanced for me with the units, tend to be very annoying when walking in leaves, gravel and with high-pitched birds and crickets noises. Some noises are enhanced and changed far beyond a normal range.

So there is no current ideal solution. Prevention is the word. Wear ear protection when engaged in noisy activities and keep that car window up.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Uphill

Thank you all for the feedback. Just wanted to add that I will post an update on this thread after reading the book, which I should receive this week.

new topics

top topics

join