It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is disclosure what we really want?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
There has been a lot of talk lately about extra-terrestrials and things beyond our planet. Over the past 15 to 20 years, exposure to these ideas have slowly increased. They started off as novels and comic books, proclaiming that life is not special, and that our planet is not one of a kind. Now, fast forward to 2010, where we have major Hollywood studios pouring out funds to make a movie about aliens and life beyond our solar system. We also have scientists in countries all over the world actually making strides towards maybe finding a breakthrough in this topic.
But say, we do find life. Aliens make contact with us somehow, someway. What happens then?

Do we fall to our knees asking for their guidance and technology?

Do we proclaim them to be gods?

Do we try to kill them because we deem them a threat?

There is many different paths our race could take if contact is made with extra-terrestrials. But, one thing that is a constant in these choices is one thing. Religion. What implications would be inserted into our everyday lives if life is found beyond our understanding? Now, my religious points of view are not the topic of this essay, blog, story etc. But, I can say one thing about it. I think that if the presence of other life is made known, it will not go over easy with the religious people of this planet. Now think about it for a minute, our whole entire civilization is and has been based on a conception of a god or gods that created us and watch over us. Now, of course there is different perception of deities for every belief but one. Every belief in a monotheistic deity or deities says that they are smarter than us, more powerful than us, and so on and so on. And as I know of now at least, (and can stand to be corrected), that we have not found a creature or being that is smarter or more powerful then the "mighty" human race.
But that remains to be said that can change in a heartbeat, even on our own planet. But for now, we are the top dog in this pound called life. But back to religion part of this topic. Discovery of intelligence beyond our own will shake the foundation of our knowing to its core. Of course, the government is working behind the scenes to slowly desensitize our culture to the idea of aliens in film, T.V., and other media. Our whole entire lives, even if you were not raised in a religious household, we have been told by some sort of being that we were created by god or gods. That idea has been imprinted into our very brain since the time we started thinking about such things. So imagine if we discovered that it was not oxygen that kept us alive and fueled our body, but something else entirely. This is not true of course, (to my understanding) but just think about that for a second. That is something we have known since childhood being changed in an instant. Never to return the same way again, our thoughts have been automatically functioned to another thought because of that discovery. Now some will say, "No, this is not true." and others will say, "Yes, this is true." Which causes a conflict of ideals and principals. And we all know that a conflict of ideas usually causes violence among our race or some sort of dispute that leads to violence. There is no denying that, it is just the nature of our species. Now imagine that conflict of beliefs on a religious scale. There is not one thing on this planet more argued about then religion, except maybe politics. Everyone has their own set of beliefs, and making known that aliens exist, would offend a lot of people. As my own experience being raised in a Christian household, my family scoffs at the idea of life not on our planet. Their minds have been molded and shaped into the belief of god, and nothing else. Nothing is more powerful the god, and whatever his word is, it is true. Now, throw science into the equation of religion. Some people think that Science and Religion cannot co-exist. I do.

But I will not go down that path, I could write many novels about that subject. But, I think that IF aliens do exist, and our government knows about them, I applaud them for keeping it under-wraps the best they can until a situation arises that can allow them to present the idea officially. Now, if it is not presented the way it should be, chaos ensues. Peoples lifelong beliefs have been changed. And our race does not like quick change. Quick change results in bloodshed, it results in terror, it results in false hope. That is not what we need right now in our present day and age. We need slow adaptation to the idea of we are not alone. If not, our world be lost until some other major event happens that changes our beliefs once again. Or, you could believe in your faith and say that no matter what changes, you will believe. But all we can say in conclusion is this. The aversion of the discovery of new things is impossible, it will happen no matter what. Even if some of the worst case scenarios do turn out, the knowledge that we will posses will be invaluable. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
well, you are correct

did you know that the vatican came out a few years ago and said extraterrestrial life may exist, but should not change your belief in god....somebody had to create them too....right!

be good

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I think the shock would be good for us all. Dispelling belief in god is no bad thing. If the truth was revealed and we all went bat ship crazy (which I don't think that we would), lets face it, it can't be any worse that the damage caused by religion year in, year out.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
For now we know there are odd objects in the sky out of which have radar confirmation if former servicemembers of rank and status are not lying. Everything else is pretty much speculation. I can imagine some people to no want disclosure. I am fairly certain if it turns out that a lot of sightings lately are due to a military craft, Holywood would want disclosure delayed till after next years scifi craze.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Is disclosure what we really want?

Yes.

Unless you would prefer to live more comfortably with a lie.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Sorry to say this, but I think religion is highly out dated, and needs to be changed, in a lot of ways. I personally think this brain washing needs to stop, and people need to start trusting in them selves, and not others. If people continue to be led like sheep, then we all know where sheep end up, straight into the slaughter shed one by one. We need more black sheep, as much as Americans can call free thinkers mentally ill. www.networkworld.com... This as we know, can only be because of extremists out there. But not every one who is a free thinker is dangerous, actually I am completely the opposite. But anyway, yes I believe disclosure should be done slowly, but, i do think it already has been moving along slowly, and I think every person knows something might exist beyond our world, even if you think there isn't the odds are way against you. I think it is time for full disclosure to be released, like everything, we will deal with the consequences after, after all isn't that the human way. Deal with it when it happens. If all religious people have not had a descent amount of time now to get over it, well then tough, as far as I am concerned, it's time people wake up, and stop being the mindless sheep that they are. Being controlled is only for the weak minded, who have nothing better to do but be controlled by others, because they do not know what to do with out the control. So if you are being controlled by others, and don't wish to be, then only you can make that change, regardless of what others may think including family. A lot of families can drag people down, especially their own kids. I have taught my kids to be open, and say what they feel, as longer as they are not abusive and violent about it. I teach them what I have learned with the different types of religions, out there. But I leave the choice to them alone, on what they want to believe or follow. I will except them on what ever they choose, that is unconditional love. And I know for a fact, that most religions can not do this, therefor have lost the unconditional love, for themselves and there family. No I do not come from a religious background, but at least I made the effort to find out for my self, what these religions are about. Any way, bring on disclosure and supper fast. Take good care

Love and peace

Rick
edit on 4-12-2010 by keepingaopenmind because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-12-2010 by keepingaopenmind because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
In a word
Yes

I have hoped my whole life for that day.
I may be developing a reputation around here a a debunker, but that doesnt mean I'm not a believer.

So in a word,
YES

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I have enough faith in humanity to take "the truth" in stride and not wig out, if you will. So yes.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
well, you are correct

did you know that the vatican came out a few years ago and said extraterrestrial life may exist, but should not change your belief in god....somebody had to create them too....right!

be good

Circular logic there....

That doesn't answer who created God though does it?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Of course we want full disclosure there may be things out there that extraterrestrial entities know that could significantly benefit the human race. I think the government doesn't want us to know what the truth is because that may lessen the amount of control they actually yield over us. For all we know there could be information out there that cures all disease and extends life indefinitely. There is so much we have yet to discover in the universe and societies with millions of years of evolution could help to contribute to the good of mankind. Just imagine how much knowledge we will have obtained millions of years into the future. The possibilities are limitless if extraterrestrial races are reachable and disclosure does occur in the near future.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Is the King naked and feeding with arsenic his microbes?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I'm not trying to imply that disclosure is not needed really, but just to take many precautions and go through the appropriate steps to make sure nothing bad happens when disclosure is given.
edit on 5-12-2010 by leemann123 because: spell fail

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The truth is in us, but we don’t know it, that is the disclosure, for what our minds
would be so idle and so bored? To which alien race in the universe we belong?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Some ppl say vastly superior aliens and technology doesn't disprove God, but I think it does.

Especially if they don't believe in Jesus, Mohammad etc.

In the bible, man is basically the center of creation. That alone pretty much seals the deal. I also like how ppl try and say God also created aliens based on vague old testament texts. They gotta try and somehow fit everything under their God umbrella to deal with that cognitive dissonance.

new topics

top topics

join