It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch Sunshine Melt A Rock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I thought this was pretty cool and have often wondered about the extent of power obtained from he sun. I am not sure whether this device is just mirrors or if some optics are utilized to magnify the sunlight. I recently started reading about the Rosicrucians and they really delved into optical lenses and left me wondering about the true nature of optics/lenses. Surely with today's technology we can make a lens that could magnify sunlight into whatever we needed power wise. In fact I have always wondered why someone has not tried to supplement solar panels with magnifying lenses to boost the given light.
This vid confirms that there is so much energy from the sun that surely we must keep pursuing ways to utilize it.

3500 degrees

Peace,
spec

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I've seen highly focused parabolic mirrors that can almost act as makeshift lasers, but nothing like that.. That is cool.. err well HOT!

You are right, so much energy and we largely ignore it as a source of energy... Great video !!

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Get yourself a fresnel lens. I think I paid $10 for the one I keep in my BOB and have put holes in aluminum with it. If you've got sunlight and a fresnel lens, you've got some serious heat potential in your hands.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I would really ike some more information on the reflector(s). The upper parabolic mirror is shown in the video, and the shape of the focus revealed by the mist implies the existance of a similar mirror below the focus.

A 3500 degree heat source, even in so small an area, has some interesting commercial applications - especially as it appears to be virtually free.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

Get yourself a fresnel lens.

I had never heard of that, thanks for the insight and yes, we should all have one of these for not only emergencies but as supplemental energy too.
I can't help but think they could make a pocket size one that is really powerful, but, now that I think about it, perhaps this tech is not so widespread and promoted because 1) they don't want us to go gettin' ourselves self-sufficient or, 2) they don't want us all to have pocket size lasers

Peace,
spec

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Tholidor

I would really ike some more information on the reflector(s)

Me too Tholidor, but the link doesn't provide much, nor the BBC one. If you find some more info, post it up and so will I.
www.disinfo.com...

Thanks for the reply,
spec

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I wonder if the guys over at M5 saw this. They might have to do a retraction on their Archimedes boat burning epi.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
wow man ... i never star and flag anything ... but wow ... i have never seen this before ... is this a new discovery ?

Because the implications of this is huge ... it really does show case the fact that we probably need to be using the sun alot more for alot more applications.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by King Loki

is this a new discovery ?

I would not think so, but I also cannot recall ever seeing sunlight being used that powerfully. I have always thought that since a typical magnifying glass can do what it does, surely a lens could be engineered to do the same thing but on a significantly more exponential level. I still can't find out the details of this particular contraption, but when I do, I'll post it.

Thanks for chiming in,
spec

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
That's a cool video. I wonder if something like that could be weaponized.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
UPDATE
I found some more info, the device is called a "fully functional mirror-based solar laser." it was created by Solar Research Facility in S. France, This is new technology and burns at 6300 degrees at the center point.
Weapon considerations are not practical for this particular device because of the short range for energy containment.
I can't see the entire piece of hardware but from what is visible it seems relatively small. I wish I could find some dimensions. Who knows, this thing could have a mega mirror on a roof connected to it or something.
Again I am left to wonder, can't we invent a lens that can generate this heat and be portable, like the fresnel one mentioned above, but much more powerful.
www.tomsguide.com...

spec

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Here's a thread that was started not too long ago...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
hello. there was a series of programmes by a UK presenter named James May. he co hosts top gear. he sought other ways to fuel cars etc and on one show they used sun power to disintergrate things. mighty. seek it out.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

ok i have a problem with this video first spraying water into the middle of it doesn't evaporate the water yet it freakin melts rock huh. Is it just me? Or did anyone else catch that

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

I think it may be because the hot zone is only like a cubic inch? I think the water evaporates in that are so fast that we can't see it. I am only guessing though.

spec

top topics

join