It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helping a neighbor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I live in an older neighborhood where you have an older generation of people mixed with a younger generation. I am only 30 years old, but where my house lies there are many empty nesters and a few dead beats that rent there house, trash it, pester the neighbors, then move out waiting for the next idiot to move in.

Well anyways, about 5 years ago I made it a common ritual to shovel (not snowblow) the snow for two of my neighbors. When this first started both neighbors seemed out right shocked. I also started to mow one of there yards, since she can no longer get out and do it and her kids don't help her at all. unless they want money (these kids are in there 40's and 50's).

I have another neighbor who often has me help him when he is having problems with his computer.

Every time I try to help these neighbors out they keep wanting to pay me. I refuse everytime and feel kind of insulted. I know they mean well, but It makes me feel good to help out a neighbor (many of them help us now too, since we helped them) and I wouldn't feel that great if I got any money out of it.

I didn't know my neighbors very well before I started helping them, now we have a small neighborhood watch (5 houses next to each other) and look out for one another.

I guess my question here is at what point in history did people stop helping people whether they knew them or not.

I see posts about survival if something goes down, my suggestion to many (those who can) is get to know your neighbors, help them with anything and not expect anything in return. If something does go down your neighbors may become your way to survive. They have knowledge and resources you may not.

new topics

join