It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Sue The US Government?....unaccountable government employees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
mods: not sure which forum to put this in so I put it in a relatively active one. Move post if appropriate...

I was in a rear-end accident a year ago on the 22 Freeway (Garden Grove, CA). I was stopped on the freeway with a stopped car in front of and behind me. After this sudden stop I automatically looked in my rear view mirror and saw a Jeep (a rental) hauling ass, coming up behind the lady stopped behind me. He hit her without even hitting his brakes first, at probably 55+ miles per hour. Her car was accordioned and she was really messed up, taken away in an ambulance. She hit me really hard, causing about $4000 damage to my car and really screwing up my neck and back (prior to this I thought people claiming whiplash were full of BS, and just looking for money, I've since changed that view)...

Anyways, my lawyer went through the motions to get my medical bills, lost wages, his fees, etc paid from the insurance company for the rental car agency. Their response was a really lame low-ball figure that wouldn't even cover the medical bills. So the lawyer went to sue the driver and his insurance. I just found out yesterday that the driver was working for HOMELAND SECURITY at the time. Which means as a government employee I cannot sue him personally. My lawyer has to contact the US Attorney and has to sue the actual US GOVERNMENT in FEDERAL COURT...

So unbelievable that at first all I could do was laugh. This case now will probably drag out for a long time as the lawyer said the US Attorney will fight any and all cases vigorously. So he has referred me to an attorney that can handle this type of case. The case it self is pretty straight forward with the driver admitting fault and plenty of witnesses...

But the fact I have to sue the US is a little frightening, and the fact that their employees can cruise through life/work without any consequences to their actions is deplorable. I can imagine them looking through my criminal record, really old... (just drug and alcohol related, no thefts or violence, etc) or going through my taxes and personal stuff...

So My Question???
I wonder what would happen if I took this to the media as an example of run-away, unaccountable government in action....or would this open a huge can of worms that could ruin what little bit of a life I have?....

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Toxicsurf

It's not frightening at all, sue them anyway, verbally rip of their collective arms and beat them over the head with the bloody end. You know if you take the stance that it just isn't worth it or you're scared, other people might do the same thing. Don't let these screw heads win, take this kind of stuff into court every chance you get and beat the hell out of them with their own stupid rules. And what can they use against you, your past information???? It's inadmssable and your lawyer would know that, if it does not apply to the accident in any way. I'm not a lawyer so check with yours, but I will tell you that when you get these @ssclowns in court, it's worth every penny. I had them so scared at one point that they had to slap me with a gag order so I didn't cause another 150 million dollar scandal that involved government ministers, banks and the educational indoctrination system. Oh, by the way, I won my case and the settlement.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Well, I HAVE to sue them since I can't pay the medical bills myself, nor would I if I could. I've yet to speak with the new attorney who will be taking my case (he did tell my current lawyer that it's a good case, a slam dunk so to speak), so more will be revealed.....or not...

I know they can't use my past history in this case, but I wonder how they'll screw with my life...
edit on 4-12-2010 by Toxicsurf because: to add...

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I understand your trepidation..like jumping in the water with Jaws.

I hope you prevail.

Why doesn't Homeland security have to buy basic liability insurance like everyone else..I hope you expose them.

Good luck.

Peace

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Yep, what I was hoping for was some opinions on taking this to the media to show how theses employees have a seemingly free pass to get away with stuff with no reprisals or accountability. One would think that my case would be so small in the great totality of the government that they would just pay me off quickly and quietly. But if I'm gonna go for it, I may as well make it worthwhile...

If anyone has had something similar happen to them, or know of someone who has, I'd really like to talk with them...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I guess no one around here wants to touch this, OK that worries me........

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I wouldn't be worried yet. Take your lawyer's advice and see what happens. Let it play out. As far as taking it to the media you could try but I don't know if they would even care. Best of luck to you.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Sorry to hear you got into such an accident. It really sucks. I understand the neck/back pain. I was in a (couple) car accident as well, and have since recovered from whiplash, but I still have chronic pain as a result.

I am sure your lawyers will do everything they can to win the case for you. It might be a long drawn out process though. Mine took just over two years to get to arbitration (settling out of court). So be prepared for it to take a while. Your case does sound pretty clear cut. I don't think there will be much problems. Good luck with your recovery and the case.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Thanx for the honest concern, I really appreciate it.......

I guess its all about time now.......

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone's experiences concerning the government/Homeland Security and their apparent ability to disregard "the llittle guy" I know there has been a bunch of media regarding the TSA and airport security, and was wondering if the guy that put up his youtube account has had any backlash from going public, and if I would...

new topics

top topics

join