It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here Is What A Small Nuclear Weapon Can Do

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
i.imgur.com...

The link shows a panoramic view of Hiroshima after the hydrogen bomb was dropped during the second world war. This bomb had only a fraction of the energy present day nuclear warheads have. The destruction is utter devastation. Anyone who thinks war is a good idea should study the picture and re-evaluate his/her thinking.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by gem_man

scary. my buddy let me borrow fallout 3 yesterday and this looks exactly like the world they created.

great photo.

sad history.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Nice. Kind of amazing what couple things were left standing... A very sad time in our history indeed.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
damn!! you can see horizon to horizon almost! amazing..
As for the buildings, you must also take into account...the japanese built thier homes and other buildings out of paper and bamboo. That would mean instant incineration from anything that blows up, being plutonium in this case. I wonder what if all those buildings were concrete* how many would still have been standing thier by comparison*

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Wow! Incredible find. Would any of us regular Joes and Janes want to kill so many people? Only power hungry, mass murders need war and death. These are our leaders, then and now and on all sides. What a tragic waste. So many lives destroyed throughout human history. All to support our tyrannical leaders. When are we going to learn? Never, I fear.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrathofall
Wow! Incredible find. Would any of us regular Joes and Janes want to kill so many people? Only power hungry, mass murders need war and death. These are our leaders, then and now and on all sides. What a tragic waste. So many lives destroyed throughout human history. All to support our tyrannical leaders. When are we going to learn? Never, I fear.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by wrathofall

You do realize this was done in an attempt to STOP further "war and death" in this particular conflict,right? This was not a decision that was taken lightly....

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Not that it has an impact on your point, but...

The Hiroshima bomb was NOT a hydrogen bomb, it was 'regular' fission (the splitting of an atom, not the fusing of two).

That device wasn't invented until well after the war.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by [davinci]

You are absolutely correct! I stand corrected as it was an atom bomb.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skippy1138
reply to post by wrathofall

You do realize this was done in an attempt to STOP further "war and death" in this particular conflict,right? This was not a decision that was taken lightly....

that is a joke.

it was a demonstration of power like your dad making you bring his belt to spank you.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
If any of you want to see the effects on your own city check this website out.

Carlos Labs

They even give you a different yield option! (Click on Ground Zero II)

edit on 12/4/2010 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
And to think. Most of these wars and mass killings (not all) but most, have religion behind them pushing people to think it is alright and necessary to murder others. When will people wake up and realize that this whole religion idea is just a very well put together story that keeps all of us in check and allows the leaders to easily make up all of our minds for us. It's disgusting to me. Seriously people, you're believing in a story made up thousands of years ago to control the masses. IT IS STILL CONTROLLING U. I don know if I'm the crazy one or not buy even when I was a little kid i knew it was all b.s. Please wake up.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Skippy1138

I think you misunderstood me. I understand all to well why it was done. I was speaking to the act of war itself. All wars. All battles between the leaders of countries. All killing and maiming. Murders. It's not about you and me, it's about them and their quest for control and power.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Not to quibble, but neither fat man nor little boy were hydrogen bombs.

"Fat Man" was an implosion-type device using plutonium-239. A subcritical sphere of plutonium was placed in the center of a hollow sphere of high explosive. Thirty-two pairs of detonators located on the surface of the high explosive were fired simultaneously to produce a powerful inward pressure on the core, squeezing it and increasing its density, resulting in a supercritical condition and a nuclear initiation.

"Little Boy" was the codename of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945
The weapon was developed by the Manhattan Project during World War II. It derived its explosive power from the nuclear fission of uranium 235. The Hiroshima bombing was the second artificial nuclear explosion in history, after the Trinity test, and the first uranium-based detonation. Approximately 600 milligrams of mass were converted into energy. It exploded with energy between 13 and 18 kilotons of TNT (54 and 75 TJ) (estimates vary) and killed approximately 140,000 people.[4] Its design was not tested in advance, unlike the more complex plutonium bomb (Fat Man). The available supply of enriched uranium was very small at that time, and it was felt that the simple design of a uranium "gun" type bomb was so sure to work that there was no need to test it at full scale. Small-scale experiments were used to determine the critical mass and other properties.

The second basic type of nuclear weapon produces a large amount of its energy through nuclear fusion reactions. Such fusion weapons are generally referred to as thermonuclear weapons or more colloquially as hydrogen bombs (abbreviated as H-bombs), as they rely on fusion reactions between isotopes of hydrogen (deuterium and tritium). However, all such weapons derive a significant portion, and sometimes a majority, of their energy from fission (including fission induced by neutrons from fusion reactions). Unlike fission weapons, there are no inherent limits on the energy released by thermonuclear weapons.

Luckily, a hydrogen bomb has not been used in warfare yet.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
Luckily, a hydrogen bomb has not been used in warfare yet.

hopefully never will be.
edit on 4-12-2010 by IllMannered because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

What's really bothering me is that they are now trying to harness the power of a supernova:

Supernova in a jar

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

The problem was particularly that Japan would not surrender and was prepared to fight to the last man woman and child, resulting in the death of many, many more Americans. THIS was the reason the A-Bomb was used - to force Japan into submission.

edit on 4-12-2010 by Nonchalant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Tsar Bomba makes Hiroshima look like an ANT in comparison, and Tsar bomba was only half yield....

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
That small nuclear weapon saved countless lives.

It stopped the war in a matter of days.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

I absolutely agree. Hitting them with the 2 small nuclear devices was much better than the alternative for both sides.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join