It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tipping Waiters and Pizza Guys

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I want to open a discussion on the age old argument of tipping waiters and pizza delivery men.

First of all in the UK hardly anyone tips, we understand that we are being served by a PAID employee, ok there wages may not be good, but they are all getting Minimum wage, even more if your over 21 which is about £4.50 i think or roughly 8$ an hour.

I have come across people who think you must tip, its really rude and terrible if you dont.

People dont tip trashmen who take away rubbish at 6am in the morning.
People dont tip postmen who deliver your post on time in any weather conditions.
People dont tip cashiers.

Since when did tipping waiters and pizza delivery drivers get so common in countries such as the US?

So, to tip or not to tip, that is the question.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Could be depending on the service. If the pizza guy gets there before the pizza is cold and delivers on time then he gets a tip and nearly same with waiters then its fair game. However I don't tip pizza people because they always took too damn long getting on post especially at night, almost an hour! Sometimes doing things fast gets ya a little reward in the end.

edit on 4-12-2010 by Stop-loss! because: I grew up a screw up!

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
While it's true they are paid, they are paid minimally, with most of their wages coming in the form of tips for providing excellent service. IMO, this system promotes excellent service, in whatever service industry it is. I have no problems at all tipping for waiters, pizza guys or whoever else, nor do I have problems not tipping when the service is bad. As far as tipping the garbage man, post man, whatever, That is not common practice, more of a thing that happend around the holidays if the service was great...my parents used to leave a Christmas presnt for the trash guy when I was a kid...only to show appreciation for a job well done. (Myself...have never done that)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

In the US, at least, there are a few professions where companies can pay much less (even nothing at all in some cases) to employees that are traditionally "tipped"

Your postman and garbageman here might make $20 or more dollars per hour, if they've been on the job long enough. Your waitress, could, in some states, be making as little as $2.13 per hour (That is more than $5.00 per hour less than Federal minimum wage).

So, next time you look at a waitress, waiter, or pizza guy, instead of thinking "Why should I tip you?" ponder just how they'd manage to live, without tips, on such a meager income.

~Heff
edit on 12/4/10 by Hefficide because: cold meds + attempts at posting rational thought = fail

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

For me it's more about attitude, if the pizza is late, may not be the drivers fault...it's really more about his attitude at the door. (Plus I have a soft spot as that was a job I performed through high school...lol).

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
A lot of times in the US employers don't have to pay tip-earning workers the minimum wage. Some tip-earning employees will be paid less than half the minimum wage per hour because of their tip-earning potential. The tips are their bread and butter.

A lot of delivery places now charge you for the delivery, so I try to find out which ones pay that fee to their drivers and which don't. That fee might be 1-5 dollars. If the driver doesn't get that fee, I tip him more. If he does get that fee from the employer- minimal tip from me. I will tip some who get the fee a little more if they're delivering to me in winter- I've got a long, dark driveway and winters are cold here, in Buffalo.

Some restaurants actually include gratuity in the bill; this can be convenient but the servers sometimes expect to be tipped on top of that, which is ridiculous.
edit on 4-12-2010 by MzMorbid because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
There was one specific guy name Rob from a Dominoes in my town that worked full-time so he'd usually be the guy to deliver a pizza if it was ordered. So when I was in high school we'd have parties and call the Dominoes this guy worked at and when he came over we would smoke him out and after about the 4th time eventually he just started to come to parties as a friend.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Interesting that no one hardly tips in the U.K., I don't know how well wait staff are paid there but here it's barely minimum wage and they depend on those tips to survive.

I spent a lot of time in Germany in the nineties and ate all my meals out, A hefty tip was included in my tab no matter where it was with the exception of a coffee shop, you were not given a choice.

I tip very generously for good service.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Well personally i do tip and i am from the UK. Infact if your in a resteraunt then it is expected to tip at least ten percent, and more fool you if you dont tip the guy who delivers food for you when your too damm lazy to get of your butt and get it yourself!! Who can blame him for gobbing on your pizza next time!

As for all those students waitering or waitressing who put up with the likes of you (tight wads) when earning next to nothing, these guys live of their tips. If you can afford the luxury of eating out or ordering food in then maybe you should take a second to realise what a privelaged world you live in! and stop been so damn tight...

Just wanted to add that this is your opinion and not that of the majority!

First of all in the UK hardly anyone tips, we understand that we are being served by a PAID employee

edit on 4-12-2010 by Exforcesuk because: Still bugged by your statement and genralisation of us Brits!!

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17

People dont tip trashmen who take away rubbish at 6am in the morning.
People dont tip postmen who deliver your post on time in any weather conditions.
People dont tip cashiers.

Since when did tipping waiters and pizza delivery drivers get so common in countries such as the US?

So, to tip or not to tip, that is the question.

Trashmen, Postmen/women, Cashiers all have one task they do not perform. They do not prepare the meal that you are about to stick in your mouth. They do not take your order. They do not care about the level of service they provide they are merely there to do their hourly paid job and go home.
Pizza delivery, waiters/waitresses do however have the ability to offer better service and get rewarded for doing so. If your waitress for example promptly takes your order makes sure your beverages are filled, makes sure your food is of the best quality and overall makes sure your dining experience is top notch, she/he should not receive at least a minor compensation for doing this service to you?
Would you rather your waiter/waitress or pizza delivery person for that matter not care? Maybe while delivering your pizza they stop to get a beverage for themselves instead of trying to get your pizza to your door while it's still hot. Maybe your waiter decides that just after taking your order he should go on break instead of turning your order in to the cook. These are all reasons why good food service mostly is tipped in the US. We like to treat the people well that treat us well and leave us with a pleasant and enjoyable experience. Another note is that the minimum wage to my knowledge is like $4/hr because they are expected to receive tips for waiters/waitresses.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I don't have a problem with tipping as long as it is voluntary.

Having worked in bars for years when I was younger I can honestly say that I tried to treat everyone the same (as you said, I was already paid to be there). I was, if I do say so myself, an excellent bartender. The quality of service I offered my patrons was made obvious by the income I made from tips: My paycheck every two weeks was insignificant compared to what I would make on one Friday night.

Even years later I can remember a couple of instances where particular customers (tourists/visitors) got preferential treatment. When someone gives you a 50% tip every time they order you are going to make sure that they recieve everything they require as fast as possible.

That was the original basis for tips (To Insure Prompt Service).

What bothers me though is that tipping has become mandatory, to the point that in some restaurants it is automatically added to the bill (any place that does this never sees me again).

What used to be an incentive for going above and beyond (or just being on the ball) is now an entitlement.

As for tipping my mailman or garbage man, they do recive a Christmas bonus as a thank you.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exforcesuk
Well personally i do tip and i am from the UK. Infact if your in a resteraunt then it is expected to tip at least ten percent, and more fool you if you dont tip the guy who delivers food for you when your too damm lazy to get of your butt and get it yourself!! Who can blame him for gobbing on your pizza next time!

First of all in the UK hardly anyone tips, we understand that we are being served by a PAID employee

edit on 4-12-2010 by Exforcesuk because: Still bugged by your statement and genralisation of us Brits!!

That is the most ridiculous thing i have heard for a long time. So after paying 15.99 for 2 pizzas and 2 sides i am then expected to pay the delivery guy? On top of him getting his paycheck aswell?

You are quick to judge, i bet you tip lots, but i bet you have never donated money to charities, who really do need donations to survive!

Why should i pay someone more just because they didnt get a good education at school? As long as they get paid Minimum wage, which they do in the UK, its the law, then why tip?

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Delivery drivers do not prepare a pizza, the staff in the kitchen do, they just make sure they get to my house on time, its in there contract of employment.

If you honestly beleive they really do care so much, and they just want to get the pizza to us on time all warm and nice then you are horribly mistaken.

Its because they know they have to.

Looking at some of the comments then it seems something is wrong with the american system.

4$ an hour? Thats ridiculous, here in the uk they get around $8 an hour.

I just think it is incredibly rude to expect someone to hand over even more of your hard earned money just for doing the job they were employed to do.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I worked as a bartender during and after attending university for my biology degree.

To say that all these people are poorly educated is an extremely callous and bigotted remark.

ETA...

Try working in the service industry where you have to deal with the public face to face.

It may not be brain surgery, but it is damn hard job with little or no rewards what-so-ever.

No pension other than what the government deducts
No medical, dental or eyewear.
Few sick days, if any.
Long hours on your feet
Work every holiday.
Someone doesn't show up, you get to work a double
AND you get to clean up after pigs who will vandalize your workplace and degrade you while demanding you attend to thier every whim.

Very ignorant view friend
edit on 4-12-2010 by [davinci] because: Content

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

You are wrong. I have dated plenty and known plenty of pizza workers. The ones I know answered phones, cooked the pies and delivered them, in addition to cleaning and closing duties. They deserve to be tipped. It is hard hot greasy thankless work, often performed by really nice decent people.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Actually the pizza place by my house they do all the tasks from taking the order, preparing it, packaging, and delivery. You must have some fancy pizza places where you live with some expensive pies if they can afford to pay separate staff for each task. Just sayin.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Where I get pizza, the delivery people are high school kids. I tip them all well and all exactly the same amount. I figure they deserve it for being out there trying to earn something and I don't know if it's the chicken or the egg but I always get good service.
Which brings up another point, when in a crowded bar/club, I always used to tip the waitress quite well for the first drink. That way your glass is full all night and everyone is happy, you might even make a friend.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Haydn:

Just a thought here. And I know that you have a good job, or so you have said before...

If you want to have a true, unobstructed, unbiased opinion here... Go out and take a part time job as a pizza delivery person, bartender, or waiter? Then you'd have a basis for opinion as you'd have walked in those shoes and will have first hand knowledge of what it's like.

If you did so, maybe those extra few dollars in tips wouldn't matter to you. But you'd possibly get a chance to see the difference it makes where your coworkers are concerned.

Until you've actually "been there - done that" your opinion really comes across as little more than elitist snobbery. Not meant personally. But it's what it looks like to me.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
If you can't afford to tip then don't use a service as such were it's expected.
20%+ for excellent service imo.
edit on 4-12-2010 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

That is the most ridiculous thing i have heard for a long time.

Really ??? you need to get out more!

but i bet you have never donated money to charities

Seems you know it all then!

Such a mundane topic here yet you fill me with dissapointment and ashamed to be a fellow Brit!!

For your information i have and do give to the more needy and have done charitie work!
Finaly.

Why should i pay someone more just because they didnt get a good education at school

You dont have to do anything it is about making your own choice ! is just a shame you make the wrong ones!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join