It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks shutdown calls spark censorship row

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

WikiLeaks shutdown calls spark censorship row

www.guardian.co.uk

The US opened new fronts in its fight against WikiLeaks today as civil rights groups accused the authorities of censorship.

The whistleblower's website went offline for the third time in a week this morning – the biggest threat to its online presence so far. The site re-emerged later on a Swiss domain.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Now this is were it gets intersting. It not just about the content of the cables. It is our right to not ot be censored for speach. Europe has many laws pertaining to human rights and this escapade could well be entering a legal quagmire
'Liberal activists saw echoes of the row involving China and Google '
In the light of recent events, i think they may well have a point....

kx

www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I guess we'll need to learn how Chinese dissidents keep their online activities from being shut down or discovered from their oppressive government. So come on over Chinese dissidents and teach us American and European dissidents how to stay online without being shut down by our increasingly oppressive government!

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I did the only thing I could do about it, which admittedly is kinda lame.
I wrote a complaint letter to Amazon. If enough customers complained, then they would take notice, though I know that few people will bother.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I don’t realy care much for the dotcom adress, I care for the dotnl one. If dotnl breaks, I might just maybe shake my fist against the screen but not fot the dotcom one.

Meh.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Now this is were it gets intersting. It not just about the content of the cables. It is our right to not ot be censored for speach. Europe has many laws pertaining to human rights and this escapade could well be entering a legal quagmire
'Liberal activists saw echoes of the row involving China and Google '
In the light of recent events, i think they may well have a point....

kx

www.guardian.co.uk

Exactly.

second.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
I guess we'll need to learn how Chinese dissidents keep their online activities from being shut down or discovered from their oppressive government. So come on over Chinese dissidents and teach us American and European dissidents how to stay online without being shut down by our increasingly oppressive government!

They have to use Tor or Haystack - but it's still risky.

second

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna
I did the only thing I could do about it, which admittedly is kinda lame.
I wrote a complaint letter to Amazon. If enough customers complained, then they would take notice, though I know that few people will bother.

Me too - to both paypal and amazon.

second

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

bring the complain here to copy- paste i will change a little though

second line
edit on 4-12-2010 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I think it is all a scam. One site had this:
The so called cables did seem to be in the right format for the message. I should know I spent 12 1/2 years in the Army in the Signal Corp. The State Department message should have been in ACP 127 format and they weren’t. I also noticed that there were no downgrading instruction on any of the cablegrams. That is a government requirement per executive orders. They also didn’t mark the document with the marking Foreign Government Information (FGI) on any of the documents. I also didn’t see any information that is required in ACP 127 format such as a date time group. In fact that they look like some one took the original message and put them in a different format or they are badly done forgeries. Things just do not look correct.

The US needs to continue in Afghanistan & this looks good to do it.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I agree, someone post a good letter which we can start sending in as an organized campaign.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

I did the same too, you feel theres not much you can do.
But we can try....
kx

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
The documents being released by Wikileaks are still considered classified correct? They haven't been downgraded yet by the U.S, government have they?? If so how is this whole debacle considered censorship? Because of the fact that they are trying to shut Wiki down? No matter which way you look at it Wikileaks is posting information that was in one form or another restricted and not intended for public consumption, how this fact and the fact that the government is acting in the manner they are is earth shattering to anyone is beyond me. But if the government is really concerned then why don't they go after all the media outlets as well and pull the plug on them as well?

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
The documents being released by Wikileaks are still considered classified correct? They haven't been downgraded yet by the U.S, government have they?? If so how is this whole debacle considered censorship? Because of the fact that they are trying to shut Wiki down? No matter which way you look at it Wikileaks is posting information that was in one form or another restricted and not intended for public consumption, how this fact and the fact that the government is acting in the manner they are is earth shattering to anyone is beyond me. But if the government is really concerned then why don't they go after all the media outlets as well and pull the plug on them as well?

News Media in the western world has a habit of publishing classified data, without having to worry about being persucuted by the government. The treatment of prisoners of war by american forces being one example.
Wikleaks have not broken the law. An amercian info anyalst did.
Why do you make a distinction between WL and newspapers, many of the cables have been published in newpapers too.
If WL is going ot be prosocuted then so are the major papers.... Well now thats not going to happen is it..
We are meant to have some semblance of freedom of speech. If a government cannot keep its information classified. That is there responbility not someone elses...
The reason they have not pulled the plug on the papers is becuase they cannot, they have to some extent restricted what the papers have put in them. That has happened in the ok and usa anyways. The papers are not the problem, they are well in the pockets of the governments. They can be controlled.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Heres the first of many hopefully sites to use against amazon/ebay and pay pal.

www.screw-paypal.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Well it is still breaking the law no matter which way you look at it. Weather or not the media does it as well and gets away with it. So the reaction of the United States government is well within their legal rights to take action and put a stop to such actions correct? Now if Wikileaks or whomever comes along releases unclassified documents and then gets censored thats where the freedom of speech and censorship violation comes into effect correct? I do not personally feel that Wikileaks should be censored I feel the information released so far isn't harming anyone as of yet, (ego's maybe) but on the same hand they knew what they were doing is against the law so why should the United States government get the rap of being unjust and unfair and be called out for censoring data that was not ment to be released and in a sense was stolen? It's the same as me stealing your bank data or other personal data and publicizing it the world over and expecting that nothing bad would come of it. Only we are private citizens and jurisdictions and laws are scattered differently compared to the Federal government.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
And the 20 thousand dollar question in all of this. Where is Obama on everything thats happening? Why is he so quiet about all this. You'd think he would be on the front lines considering he is the President and spokesperson for the country?

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
And the 20 thousand dollar question in all of this. Where is Obama on everything thats happening? Why is he so quiet about all this. You'd think he would be on the front lines considering he is the President and spokesperson for the country?
Until his reply is scripted and teleprompter ready, he will remain silent.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Ok please clarify which law he is breaking. Sofar the only crime they have against him is a flase rape charge and that is it...

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

OK after rethinking your last question I think I let my own personal opinion cloud the discussion at hand. Is there an actual law concerning the spread of classified information by a non us citizen when that person wasn't the person who stole it? As I am not a lawyer and not up on every law there is I can't say for sure, but I do believe if there is a way that the government is working on it as we speak and we shall find out soon enough.
edit on 4-12-2010 by jaynkeel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join