It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You know what pisses me off? No theaters in my city have had this movie.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
There are alot of places that aren't showing it. A friend of mine in PA said this;

"Within this 50 mile radius there are at least 10 or 12 theaters that have 12 to 16 screens. Some are showing duds that were released 3 and 4 weeks ago. It strikes me as odd that none of the theater managers think the film would draw more people than Dodgeball which is being shown on 2 or 3 screens in some of these theaters."

From what I have read about this, it's sort of censorship.... the big distributers AKA Disney stopped its Miramax division from releasing (arm twisting from the shady characters in black, or who knows) so it wont get shown in the multi-screen theaters, who are mostly owned by the big distributers/movie companies!

But Miramax was given a free hand to find someone else to distribute it they did and got a small distributer (Lions Gate Films) to run with it and as a consequence will only get selected theaters to show it.

The same guy also said he received a phone call...

"For the past few days, some right wing organization has also been trying to stop ads for the movie being shown on television.

About a half hour ago I had a phone call which was first represented as being an opinion poll. After three questions about patriotism I was asked if I was planning to see Fahrenheit 911, and when I said I wasn't, I was asked if I would call 10 to 20 people and ask them not to see it.

I don't mind politics, and I can even tolerate dirty politics to a point, but I really resent anyone labelling someone who has a different point of view as not being patriotic."

[edit on 15-7-2004 by Damned]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I live in a town in the UK with a nice new and big Cineworld Cinema... Now over here the film is No 3 in the Box office chart! Yet when I rang them up to find out when they were going to show it they said that it wasn;t out yet, when I finally managed to prove to them it was they said that it was probably not going to be shown then because the managers had decided at the time it wasn't worth it.. But they still manage to devote 4 screens to Spiderman 2 (which I do sadly want to see!) and several to Shrek 2 etc - you see... They couldn;t even show it on 1 screen once a wekk or something... I pointed out how dumb it was that Cannes Best Film and No3 in the chart above half of the other films they are showing is not being shown, but still got no joy... Disgusting.. I now only have the choice of either having to travel quite far to see it or getting a pirate copy... I must say I am very disappointed..

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by slickwilly95991
Not to get too off topic, but there is some kind of formula theater companies use to decide how many movie screens are needed in an area. I can't remember the exact number but the town I live in has over 50,000 people and 25 screens (will have 25 screens, new theater being built). So I guess its around 2000 people for each screen. And no we didn't get F9/11 either, just because it wouldn't be profitable in a small viewing area. Spiderman 2 was out and that was on like 5 screens. So I would assume a town with 35,000 would probably not find it economical to have it either. Unless it's a college town. Small college towns have it because the professors will give students extra credit to see it. I guess that's what they mean by a liberal arts education.

Pretty much every big movie is shown here. LOTR, Spider-Man 2...any movie that's big is here as well, including smaller ones which is why I am surprised this movie wasn't.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join