It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Soldier: "What happened to OUR country while we were gone?"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+50 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
picchore.com...

A friend of mine sent me this about his TSA experience. He, unlike most of us, was coming back into the country from Afghanistan on a military charter. ——–
As the Chalk Leader for my flight home from Afghanistan, I witnessed the following: When we were on our way back from Afghanistan, we flew out of Baghram Air Field. We went through customs at BAF, full body scanners (no groping), had all of our bags searched, the whole nine yards. Our first stop was Shannon, Ireland to refuel. After that, we had to stop at Indianapolis, Indiana to drop off about 100 folks from the Indiana National Guard.

That’s where the stupid started. First, everyone was forced to get off the plane–even though the plane wasn’t refueling again. All 330 people got off that plane, rather than let the 100 people from the ING get off. We were filed from the plane to a holding area. No vending machines, no means of escape. Only a male/female latrine. It’s probably important to mention that we were ALL carrying weapons. Everyone was carrying an M4 Carbine (rifle) and some, like me, were also carrying an M9 pistol. Oh, and our gunners had M-240B machine guns. Of course, the weapons weren’t loaded. And we had been cleared of all ammo well before we even got to customs at Baghram, then AGAIN at customs.

The TSA personnel at the airport seriously considered making us unload all of the baggage from the SECURE cargo hold to have it reinspected. Keep in mind, this cargo had been unpacked, inspected piece by piece by U.S. Customs officials, resealed and had bomb-sniffing dogs give it a one-hour run through. After two hours of sitting in this holding area, the TSA decided not to reinspect our Cargo–just to inspect us again: Soldiers on the way home from war, who had already been inspected, reinspected and kept in a SECURE holding area for 2 hours. Ok, whatever. So we lined up to go through security AGAIN. This is probably another good time to remind you all that all of us were carrying actual assault rifles, and some of us were also carrying pistols. So we’re in line, going through one at a time. One of our Soldiers had his Gerber multi-tool. TSA confiscated it. Kind of ridiculous, but it gets better. A few minutes later, a guy empties his pockets and has a pair of nail clippers. Nail clippers. TSA informs the Soldier that they’re going to confiscate his nail clippers. The conversation went something like this:

TSA Guy: You can’t take those on the plane.
Soldier: What? I’ve had them since we left country.
TSA Guy: You’re not suppose to have them.
Soldier: Why?
TSA Guy: They can be used as a weapon.
Soldier: [touches butt stock of the rifle] But this actually is a weapon. And I’m allowed to take it on.
TSA Guy: Yeah but you can’t use it to take over the plane. You don’t have bullets. Soldier: And I can take over the plane with nail clippers?
TSA Guy: [awkward silence]
Me: Dude, just give him your damn nail clippers so we can get the f**k out of here. I’ll buy you a new set.
Soldier: [hands nail clippers to TSA guy, makes it through security] This might be a good time to remind everyone that approximately 233 people re-boarded that plane with assault rifles, pistols, and machine guns–but nothing that could have been used as a weapon.

That's beyond ridiculous, almost funny. I do feel bad for the guys working for TSA. I don't think they are to blame, the politicians are the ones who created this situation. I wish all the soldiers would stop fighting in their name and take their country back!
wishful thinking....

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 12/4/2010 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Can you imagine what kind of bureaucricy they have.
They don't even trust their own soldiers who are fighting for their behalf.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

S&F
That is so funny..
I just wish the soldier had shown the TSA dip# that the butt of a gun can do so much more damage than nail clippers..

I bet the soldiers, after a long tour, just wished they could put the TSA clown down..

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

You are right. That is almost funny. Ridiculous, but funny! Seriously, what has happened? I have several family members in the service and to confiscate nail clippers is a little demeaning to me, but a good soldier does what he is told.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloudwatcher

You are right. That is almost funny. Ridiculous, but funny! Seriously, what has happened? I have several family members in the service and to confiscate nail clippers is a little demeaning to me, but a good soldier does what he is told.

I want a soldier to stand out when constitutional breach occur. I want to believe armed forces respond to a president whose boss are the people, protected by the constitution. Not armed men for the elite.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Wow, your kidding me.

I don't think I should take planes. I would challenge every TSA agent to a duel by a slap in the face with my leather glove.

*GLOVE SLAP*

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
priceless, absolutely priceless

sad part is that the nail clipper confiscator will be awarded worker of the month..

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I had a friend who was returning because he contracted full blown testicular cancer and had to be medivaced to germany. Went to germany, had surgery, was then ordered back to the states, upon arriving was detained because the dogs alerted on him in the airport. Apparently he had explosive residue and blood on his uniform. Go figure- 7 years in a war zone. Nothing became of it but he was a little insulted that they actually detained him and questioned him for a few minutes, where he promptly made them feel lower than whale poop.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I have to say....in the rash of multiple TSA threads since the beginning of November (when the "enhanced" pat-downs started)....in one of them, I recall seeing that SAME story posted, by another ATS member.

I have a feeling its quite an old tale, with likely embellishments along the way....dusted off, and trotted out to make its appearance again, as it's recently topical once more.

I say "topical" with a bit of irony....since the nail clippers story?? THAT really resonates with MY memory of the era, for about a year, post 9/11. (As I recall, they are no longer forbidden, today, Sometime in 2002-2003 they were deemed "OK" to fly.....)**

The madness WAS in full force, then....over such silliness as the small (one inch long?) little fold-out file that is hinged on those clippers. "Could be used to stab someone!" was their ridiculous claim. You could just break it off, and continue....

As crew, we were further hassled....pilots carried actual tools (optional, a holdover from olden days)...simple things, screwdrivers, pliers...some had one of those Leatherman things, very handy. We are REQUIRED to carry flashlights...some rather LARGE, too!! (Could be wielded like a club). Of course, the most ridiculous part? Pilots, not allowed to carry the Leatherman, or a screwdriver....BUT given complete control of the airplane!! Utter stupidity and knee-jerk reaction.

Speaking of knee-jerk...our Flight Attendants were all required to carry a corkscrew, as a "part of their uniform". Those were taken away. SO, how to open those bottles of wine, in First Class? Well, when the airplane was catered, two CORKSCREWS were delivered with all the other supplies!!!
Forehead slap time!

Even well after 9/11....I recall a fun time at a security checkpoint we had, at DFW....my First Officer's rolling suitcase included ONE Allen wrench....you know, about 3 inches long, roughly 1/8th diameter hexagonal shape....bent on the end to look like the letter "L".....it is for adjusting the wheels on the bag.

Anyway, it is considered part of his suitcase! The Screener wanted to look inside, and my F/O asked "What, specifically, is it that you want to see? I can pull it out for you. I packed carefully, and don't want the contents disrupted."

Screener wanted to look for himself....well, this stalemate went on (very politely, on the part of the pilot of course...we KNOW the "system", and our rights). It was quite humorous, to see the TSA schmuck (and his "supervisor") unable, and unaware of the rules that HE is supposed to be enforcing........

I have little respect, nor regard , for the joke that is called "security screening". Didn't before 9/11, still don't.

BUT, I still refuse to blame the employees, in all cases (there are, of course, abusers who need to be weeded out, but that happenes in just about every profession). It is the "system", and the "management", and the self-perpetuating fallacy. You CAN endure the process, IF you stay pollite, and know the rules, better than THEY do. Check the TSA website, and study it carefully.....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, checked...a memo from 2002:

Items permitted in aircraft cabins:

• Pets (if permitted by airline check with airline for procedures)
  • Walking canes and umbrellas (once inspected to ensure prohibited items are not concealed)
  • Nail clippers with nail files attached
  • Nail files
  • Tweezers
  • Safety razors (including disposable razors)
  • Syringes (with medication and professionally printed label identifying medication or manufacturer’s name)
  • Insulin delivery systems
  • Eyelash curlers

• www.tsa.gov...

edit on 4 December 2010 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:31 AM
    link   

I consider this VERY VERY good.

Why?

Because these guys and gals are Americans and they are getting a BIG taste of the trashing of our Constitution. The Constitution they are sworn to uphold. Remember they owe allegiance to the Constitution and NOT to the President or Congress. The President may be the Supreme Commander but he does not own their loyalty.

This may be a major blunder on the power mongers part especially if they are planning to declare Martial law in the near future.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:33 AM
    link   
    Unfortunately, while you were fighting the CIA patsies al qaeda and looking for Tim Osman AKA Osama Bin Laden, the criminal banksters took advantage of the fact that the military and marines were thousands of miles away and now welcome to the United Nazi States of America.

Let this be a lesson not to go waving the flag and marching towards an enemy that is not anywhere near as dangerous as your own government.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:35 AM
    link   
    I remember a few years ago I was traveling with a co-worker. On our way back, an agent found some fold out nail clippers/scissors that my coworker had. They were very small. They confiscated them. He said no one bothered with them on his flight to the area. I think agents are going overboard. I could take any object if I wanted to and break it along a line and have it make a sharp edge and have a better weapon to use on board an airplane than someone's nail clippers would be. As far as explosives go, unless they are going to start doing body cavity searches, people can still smuggle explosive chemicals on board a plane in my opinion. That means agents are only going to stop stupid people from carrying box cutters or ordinary weapons on board. Plus if the cockpit is locked, they aren't going to be able to take over a plane. The most they could do is make it crash and probably not into any specific building. All this means is that our government is wasting resources on a lot of extra security to protect merely passengers on board a plane while we face far greater danger going to see a sporting event where over 50,000 people may be present. Plus the extra security at the airport will be stupid and ineffective if a smart terrorist plans the attack. Worst case is that the airplane crashes losing the lives of passengers on board. I suppose if plastic explosives could be smuggled in body cavities there could be a possibility of blowing off the cockpit door. I'm not really sure. It's possible such explosives may be detected before boarding a plane.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:44 AM
    link   
    I may be going out on a limb here, but it wouldn't be the first time.
    It appears to me we have a fractured federal government. In other words, the "left" hand not only doesn't know what the "right" hand is doing, it doesn't trust it either.
    If there is talk of a military coup...serious talk within the ranks, you have these sorts of things happen. Homeland security is one branch, and the military is another. It could very will be the higher ups in the military are up to something and the administration knows it.
    Just a hunch.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 09:04 AM
    link   
    Thats totally fooked up.. Bad enough the way we got welcomed by the public after returning from tours in vietnam.. Had I encountered an idiot like the tsa guy when returning after a tour.. He'd have been in hospital for a very long time.. Rubbish treating troops in that manner..

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 09:11 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Stewie

I may be going out on a limb here, but it wouldn't be the first time. It appears to me we have a fractured federal government. In other words, the "left" hand not only doesn't know what the "right" hand is doing, it doesn't trust it either. If there is talk of a military coup...serious talk within the ranks, you have these sorts of things happen. Homeland security is one branch, and the military is another. It could very will be the higher ups in the military are up to something and the administration knows it. Just a hunch.

Interesting thought.

Here is more info on that subject. I do children's entertainment. I was at a church function talking to a volunteer who was retires Secret Service. His buddies who were still active told him that ALL retirees from the military, FBI, CIA and Secret Service are ion the Homeland Security watch list. This was about a year ago.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 09:30 AM
    link   
    As a veteran I find it sickening that our brave men and women returning from the war are treated as though they are terrorists. A recent news article stated that "home-grown terrorists" are the nation's biggest threat. You think? Stop pissing people off geniuses. Being a veteran I obviously have many friends that are veterans. I can say truthfully that there are few that despise the government more than veterans. Is this because we have witnessed firsthand the atrocities of our government? Is it because we know what it means to fight for freedom, and are sick and tired of watching those freedoms erode right before our eyes? The people of this great nation banded together and rose up to defeat a tyrannical government once to win its' freedom. Do not for one second, Mr. Politician, think that it won't happen again. You, with your mass media puppets, have tried to divide us. Black vs. white, rich vs. poor, the haves vs. the have-nots. Well everywhere I go I hear people talking, be they black, white, rich, or poor, and everyone is of one mind, with one goal. "We the people" will at some point rise up and take back OUR country. Have you ever witnessed a colony of bees work as one to defend their hive from whatever it is that threatens their very survival? It is an awesome, be it frightening, sight to behold. Well you Mr. Politician, Mr. Banker, Mr. CEO, are poking the hive. And you are using a very short stick.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 09:52 AM
    link   
    reply to post by IamAbeliever

I wonder if they are actually trying to provoke civil war.
    1. They won't be hurt by it, they are protected
    2. Population reduction certainly helps the entitlement situation.
    3. Civil war eliminates patriots.
    4. Rebuilding contracts go to whom?

A divided country cannot stand, and it appears "they" don't want it to. I am not talking about the military, I am talking about a federal government run by people that very well may be foreigners for all we know about them. In fact, I would bet they are.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 10:20 AM
    link   

I am getting so damn pissed off at this type of thing.......DEMAND.....yes I said DEMAND that these TSA idiots PROVE or SHOW where......WHERE do they derive their JURISDICTION to search ANYONE. Where is the enforcement clause in theConstitution or any other document that TAKES AWAY the authority of the people and gives it to them to do anything?

If people would only understand that WE give the government/corporation the authority they "believe" they have. It is only the authority to legislate FOR us but NEVER TO us. They can regulate commerce between the states and foreign nations but CAN NOT........ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT pass ANY statute, ordinance, code or "law" that would infringe on our liberties or bodies or property. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND MAN.........wake the hell up and understand YOU ARE THE AUTHORITY and NOT the government or any illegally formed agency, any agency formed WITHOUT the consent of the public. The government/corporation has formed so many unconstitutional agaencies it isn't funny......these agencies have NO AUTHORITY that is not derived from the POEPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are NULL AND VOID!!!!

GET IT YET?

COME ON PEOPLE, we must come together with the tenacity and force our forefathers used to stop this type of treasonous act and stop this insanity. WE will take back our freedoms and liberties, but it is up to each and every one of us to DO SOMETHING. File your UCC-1 and reclaim what is yours.........sovereignty and freedom.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 10:43 AM
    link   
    Well let's see.

- Taken Wealthiest nation world has ever seen and made it most indebted? Check.
    - Degraded most powerful military world has ever seen. Check
    - helped to remove 10 million citizens from their homes by ignoring major economic issues? Check
    - Usurped all major constitutional protections? Check
    - Spying on own citizenry? Check
    - Made once highly respected nation most feared and unpopular globally? Check
    - Caught in illegal schemes to abuse powers for money and influence? Check
    - Expanding government into citizens every day life? Check
    - Labeling Americans that believe in the Constitution and their civil rights as terrorists and extremists? Check

Yea, I think if I were the gov I'd be scared of my own shadow too.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 10:55 AM
    link   
    reply to post by daddio

More misplace outrage??

Like I posted earlier (been hunting it down since) this is an urban legend, maybe partly based on fact, maybe embellished....and certainly "updated" to present-day....it comes originally:

Aarghhhh.................... I've been had! And I should have known
    better. I thought that where I had picked it up was the original source. It
    wasn't. This is just another one of those things that can't actually be
    tracked back. I had done a little checking, but not enough.

blog.tsa.gov...

Forum Blog where I found the above info.

WELCOME to the second decade of the 21st century, and the VIRAL Internet. Once something like this gets legs, it spreads so rapidly, ("spreads legs"!! Ha Ha!! sorry..just noticed that....) any semblance of the original genesis gets lost, in people's willingness to fall over each other, to post it "first"......

Like I said earlier.....the initial response on September 15th (or so) when flights resumed, was a ZERO TOLERANCE "take everything if there's any doubt at all" policy. SO, yes, as troops rotated back home, form early deployments to Afghanistan (later, Iraq), back about 7 years ago, this probably DID happen. BUT, the latest version? A re-run.......

Around 2002-2003 things changed slowly, with (amazingly) even a few glimpses of sanity...BUT, that story is tossing fuel into a fire that is burning merrily enough already, and provoking faux outrage. AND, deflects focus from the actual problem which should be the inappropriate "enhanced" pat-downs....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join