It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Put all the Gods back in the Days. Not just Christ in Christmas. Stupid Political Correctness,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
With all the rampant political correctness oozing about. Let us make certain that all the Gods are remembered as they well should be:

Put Christ back in Christmas.
Put Oestara back into easter. More fertility rites I say!
Put the destroying angel back into Passover.
Put the Moon Goddess and Forest God back in Samhain/Halloween!
Put Schwartz Bart back into Christmas.
Put the sun back into Sunday.
Put the moon back into Monday.
Put Mars back into Tuesday.
Put Odin and Murcury back into Wednesday.
Put Thor back in Thursday
Put Venus back into Friday.
Put Janus back in January.

Mars in March...

Tooth Fairy you say? I say Harvest Goddess.

If we work hard we can probably find a deity for every single day of the year on top of it all. For every feast and ceremony there is probably some myth that was long since ignored because it was not politically correct by those who thought they knew better.

I say we all flaunt Political Correctness and instead flaunt ALL religions and creeds! Wear a burkha because it matches your sheer pantyhose! Wear a rosary because you use the crucifix as a USB storage device. Wear a gigantic charm bracelot with Jesus, Shiva, Cennunnos, Papa Legba and all their mythic friends.

When you scream BLOOD AND THUNDER! every hour on Wednesday and Thursday; defiantly tell people that you are demanding entry to Valhalla when you die-is their soul ready?

Who needs social commentary on things when we can just decry Political Correctness as if it actually means something?

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I hope you are all practicing your rites of Saturnalia this year.
Or at least something to commemorate Saturn on this Saturday.
edit on 4-12-2010 by lordtyp0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Nice little list you have there. These names once meant something, until a more powerful deity came along and made everyone forget. Now this master deity (God of Abraham) has taken over, incorporating rites and rituals from the "pagan" past, and denying it all the while.

Political correctness? I'm all for being respectful and courteous... but I'm a bit tired of jumping through hula hoops worrying about accidentally hurting someone's feelings... especially when the context is void of ill-will.

edit on 12/4/10 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Agreed,
Seems like the current trend is Brand and Corporate icons replacing religious. Church attendances are down all over-people still claim membership but its more just lip service. But look on the internet for a few mins and you can find instance and instance of fanboyism: Apple vs. Everything, PS3 vs. Xbox Vs Wii... The religious zealotry seems to have moved to those levels.

I suspect that is the real reason people feel the whole "Christ back in Christmas"... Various people feel a loss of that sacred feeling. Aside from personal beliefs of not needing anything sacred, I don't think it will work, I am suspecting that in a few generations the religious holidays will be seen in similar light as Columbus day.. A day marked on the calendar that most people go "meh" over.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

Valid, valid points.

Hmmm... can we include the Islamic factor? After all, Islam is the world's largest religion, unless you group Catholics and Protestants together. Islam is also projected to exponentially grow in adherence within the next several decades. So will Christmas and Easter vanish all together?

What was the motivating factor to create this thread in reference to "Put Christ Back In Christmas"?

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

I was sort of trying to lump all religions into it
Definitely the Abrahamic. However I, like most Americans am not familiar with Islamic holidays or rituals.

This time of year is a constant drama fest about "The War on Christmas". It is ridiculous but there is a large demographic that I like to think of as being a sort of... Political Hypochondirac that feeds on that sort of news.

I think it would be great to make a calendar with as many holidays as possible from all cultures and all anthropology references. I think the calendar would be near black from all the ink citing the date and events littering it.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Occasionally I see a combined U.S./Canadian calendar, and even those look filled up. A world one sure would give me something to research each day haha.

Pretty much there are 4 "holidays" in Islam.

• Fasting during the month of Ramadan: Fasting one lunar month during the daylight hours, sunrise to sunset. Holiest month in Islam. Ramadan is said to be the month that Moses was given the Torah, David was given the Psalms, Jesus was given the Gospel, and Muhammad was given the Qur'an.

• Hajj: Pilgrimage to the Ka'bah in Mecca, Saudi Arabia during the month of Dhul al-Hijjah. Done at least once during your lifetime if you can afford to.

• Eid ul-Fitr: 3 days of celebration marking the end of Ramadan. Extra prayers, community or family feast dinners, and gift giving.

• Eid al-Adha: A day in remembrance of Abraham's sacrifice to God, when Abraham nearly sacrificed his son eldest son in obedience to God. God sent an angel to stop Abraham at the last minute, and instead a ram was sacrificed. It is celebrated by extra prayers and sacrificing a sheep, goat, lamb, cow, or camel to God if you can afford to. You share 1/3 of the meat with family and friends, you give 1/3 of the meat to charity, and you keep 1/3 of the meat for yourself.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

So, I know Islam reveres Christ-doesn't regard as divine etc. But I was curious about a few things.
Salman Rushdie's "Satanic Verses" were about references to Goddesses in the Qu'ran that were reportedly whispered by Satan/Not from the creator etc.. I don't think my personal opinion means anything on this area so I will refrain: My question is; have you noticed any assimilated traditions and or deity related items in Islam?

For example; when Christianity was expanding into the celtic and viking areas they re-wrote the bible in terms they would understand: It was Jesus the supreme warrior and his twelve warlords etc.. They absorbed local traditions such as decorating trees, gift giving, and other Solstice celebrations and traditions.

I am presuming there is some overlap in areas-Muslims near Hindi areas prob have absorbed practices etc..

Anything you can think of in this regards?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

In regards to the Satanic Verses, I am not familiar with Salman Rushdie or his work, but I am familiar with the historic and Islamic explanations of the incident. Muhammad either recited the "Satanic Verses" by his own personal mistake, or by the whispered suggestion of Satan. Immediately after the Satanic Verses were recited, God sent angel Gabriel to chastise Muhammad and correct the words.

Some ask, "If Muhammad made that mistake, how can we know other mistakes didn't occur?"
Known Islamic tradition states that Angel Gabriel recited the entire Qur'an several times with Muhammad upon it's completion. The satanic verses were a whisper or idea in Muhammad's head, but Angel Gabriel visually manifest himself while spending time with Muhammad.

I'm not going to argue the incident, I'm just presenting the understanding.

Any assimilated beliefs, practices, or deities in Islam from other sources? I can only speak for Sunni Islam, strictly according to the Qur'an and Sunnah (Sahih Hadith/ Authentic Sayings and Actions of Muhammad). I would have to say no.

Islam is very much absolute in it's teachings. Over and over it says Allah is the One, the Only, the Absolute. Islam teaches no intercession can be made, prayers go to Allah only. Teaches that Allah is the only creator and everything else is a creation. Muhammad even went out of his way to avoid practices from other religions. The call to prayer for Muslims is done by the human voice for this reason. Muhammad said the Jews call to prayer with a horn, Christians call with a bell... so he tried to stay far from practices of other religions.

There is even the word "bi'dah" in Islamic teachings. Bi'dah is newly introduced innovation to the religion. Islam is meant to stay literal to Muhammad's teachings and understandings of Islam and the Qur'an. Any deviation is called bi'dah and is considered a mortal sin. So it is urged to stay literal to Muhammad's teachings and avoid adding in ideas or beliefs.

Because the Qur'an is so absolute in Allah being the only god, only creator, and only answerer of prayers, I can't see any assimilation in the religion. If you do not count Islam a continuation of Abrahamic revealation, then I would say Islam assimilated peace and love from Christianity, and assimilated war and law from Judaism. Islam, to me, appears to be the most similar to Judaism than any other religion.

Satanic Verses
Bi'dah

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/58e929e02a1d.jpg[/atsimg]

That is all.
edit on 6-12-2010 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

As long as you are a "Han Shot First"-er I completely concur

We are talking about doing a Yule Goat next year-we need to put the Goat back in the season. Perhaps the yule log too-the idea of keeping the bottom of the may-pole and doing all the traditional things-only to burn it seems to make me giggle.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Festivus.. Blah

I nominate the Yule Goat

For a true yule celebration.. Give the ugly old goat a present.. Then burn him.

top topics

join