It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal Immigrants in US Push for Passage of Dream Act

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

U.S. lawmakers before the end of the year are expected to consider a controversal immigration reform measure that would give tens of thousands of young illegal immigrants a chance to become legal residents by going to college or joining the armed forces. The proposed legislation is known as the Dream Act.

Yves Gomes is now a university student in (the east coast U.S. state of) Maryland, but he may soon have to leave the country. "I still want to continue with my college education and I want to be able to study here and go to medical school," he said.

Yves Gomes, left, now a university student in Maryland, may soon have to leave the country because of his illegal immigration status.

Source: www.voanews.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
The DREAM Act is intended to flood the United States with more and more illegal immigrants in order to serve the following purposes:

1. Change the demographic makeup of the United States
  2. Garner more votes for the Democratic Party and other leftist cohorts (one side of the globalist coin)
  3. Destabilize the economy

All this is coming true before your very eyes...

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
This is one of those rare immigration reform things that I actually agree with. I especially agree with this if they go into the military.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
My concern is how will this affect children who are already U.S. citizens ability to get into college. It is already difficult enough for U.S. citizens to go to college.. How are they paying for it? Will they be taking scholarships and financial aid away from natural born citizens? I think the Military route is great, but I think we need to focus on making sure every natural born citizen who want a higher education gets one first.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
What can you do? Protest? Majority of the people on both sides will claim the same message over and over again. I wouldn't be surprised a Civil War would erupt any time soon. There is just so much division in the United States. Many and many people are tired of kissing ass.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
So outta curiosity what happens when they leave the military/ finish studying?

2nd.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by WishForWings

Since they will be legal citizens they would have the chance to hold jobs and what not. The whole shabang. Being of Hispanic heritage I shouldn't complain.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Its sad that such a beautiful piece of legislation is actually the wrong thing to put into action at this time. it just shows how much our country has fallen. we cant afford to support dreams. the offer is citizenship if you can get into college or the military. what i'm confused about though, is that how is an illegal immigrant allowed to attend a US college unless they are an exchange student, which even then they become legal? how does an illegal immigrant join the military when they aren't a citizen to begin with? these people need to be arrested, deported, apply for a visa, re-enter, go to school, skip the military and go to college, and study some social sciences or environmental science. and take a course in logic.as much as i support dreams in theory, i stand by the law in reality. we can't keep making up new rules to override the older ones. its like napoleon and the pigs from Animal Farm. they just keep adding more and more words to the original clause and say it was always like this and if we speak out then the dogs growl at us. so we just say ok. stop living in dreams people. now it is my responsibility to write up the Reality Act in response to our failing government's new legislation.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by WishForWings
So outta curiosity what happens when they leave the military/ finish studying?

2nd.

They get the job that the U.S. citizen should have gotten. They sponser their parents and other relatives and we have even more competition for jobs, or these sponsered people end up on welfare and cost us even more money.

With millions of unemployed citizens all across the USA, the last thing we need is more competition. With limited seatings in our colleges, these illegals are taking seats away from our own citizens.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
"The Center for Immigration Studies says passage of the DREAM Act would cost American taxpayers at least $6.2 billion per year. According to CIS, at least 1.2 million illegal aliens would enroll in public colleges and universities, qualifying for in-state tuition rates. The average $6,000 in-state tuition benefit would be subsidized by the taxpayers."

"•The DREAM Act does not provide funding to states and counties to cover the costs it imposes. Since enrollment and funding are limited at public institutions, the act’s passage will require some combination of tuition increases, tax increases to expand enrollment, or a reduction in spaces available for American citizens at these schools."

cis.org...

new topics

top topics

join