It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Link to the Insurance file- Wikileaks

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
It's terrible isn't it?

We know that the very reason for the existence of this file, in it's largest sense, is because we as a people lack what could be any stretch of the imagination be called a "free press."

In fact, this appears to me (and note the word "appears") as if everything the press SHOULD have been looking into and warning us about, was distilled into a single source (now THAT'S dangerous). ALL the work of investigative journalists in the past, has been measured in its effectiveness to reveal something to society (in general) that was unacceptable.

The ONLY institution capable of undertaking that cultural imperative was conceptualized as a free press. Unless someone can convincingly make the case that the press is in effect and action, free, we see a void our society requires to be filled.

In the nature of things, that it took the form of a 'wiki-leaks' type undertaking is for future historian to debate, hopefully they will be blessed with the hindsight necessary to make a rational analysis of the situation.

Yet, the opportunity of a vacuum, to be filled so directly and visibly, by happenstance raises questions I would love to answer. I just can't.

We must always measure information 'delivered' to us. It is the only rational approach to social existence. Some are inclined to the extremes of passion, either whole-wholeheartedly accepting or reject official sources; others struggle to identify the variations seen as inevitably real.

Here we have a conundrum. A war of sources. Once information became currency, we should have expected this to happen.

We are being delivered information that was not 'given'. If we could believe the establishment is - by definition - to be trusted, we must believe that the executives and agents of that establishment are of like character.

Obviously, and not entirely unexpectedly, this is not the case. Sadly,, despite the ego-starved wishes to the contrary, all people are equal. That means that the nature of people is likely to be - at least mathematically - distributed evenly. That a person (or more optimally) group of like-minded individuals would use the cover of political appointment to exercise their own agenda, is not only possible, but I believe it's probable.

These people have the authority to exercise executive privileges which are of such range and scope as we would expect. To be able to use media conduits to 'indoctrinate' the public, or contrary-wise to inform the people of the matter factually. To engage official branches of service to 'combat' the revelation, or to engineer a structure guaranteeing the proper disposition of such information deemed and properly adjudicated as actionable or otherwise.

My inclination is that the tendrils of 'classist' and 'ideologically motivated' actions directly opposing or totally separate from the public mandate run so very deep that a gigantic 'club' of political entities and even 'royal' one's will be utterly splayed out for all to see. Certain influential cartels and cabals will become 'vulnerable' by the exposure of their weaknesses. But that is not to say they ran the world, it also does not say they wouldn't like to.

The establishment cry like a spoiled brat, because she feels violated and threatened by the consequences of her own actions, or inactions. The establishment could - self regulate - and reform it's repugnant errant behavior, but that would include diminishing the scope of the institution's extended-freedoms; the same freedoms that makes the posts so valuable to commerce and industry... and so potentially invaluable to the human condition.

Wikileaks' efforts are not yet fully engaged, I understand. I find myself wondering about the nature and package of the "Insurance file". The weakest argument about the information revolved around the medium. Assange is where he is and does what he does because someone HAS to. That is the idea that makes entities like Wikileaks viable. The "Insurance file" may very well not be for Assange or Wikileaks at all..... it maybe for something just as important, but more subtle.

I always expected that the future would contain a movement towards a singularity of understanding. This just proves to me that it's not the future yet.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join