It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Possible Depiction of How Earth's Poles Can Manage to 'Flip' While Still Maintaining Integrity.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The Earth's magnetic poles switch from time to time, this is nothing new to our modern day science.

news.nationalgeographic.com... p.html

Our planet's magnetic field reverses about once every 200,000 years on average. However, the time between reversals is highly variable. The last time Earth's magnetic field flipped was 780,000 years ago, according to the geologic record of Earth's polarity.

True North becomes true South on a compass and true South becomes true North.

Here is an illustration of the Earth's magnetic feild.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6cf2d95c6a2d.jpg[/atsimg]

Now i think that for a long time i have not really thought about the real dynamics of how the poles would 'switch' or 'flip'. I think a person could get through a conversation about the poles switching without actually coming to the conclusion there might be two scenarios for it to happen.

In the first scenario the poles would simply spin themselves. The magnetic north pole would move across the surface of the Earth, and the South moving with it on the opposite side, until the magnetic North reached the magnetic South's last stationary point. The magnetic South pole point would reach the old point of the magnetic North pole and they would have switched.

However this would be difficult to acheive if you realize that magnetic lines and polarities are created by the body's they inhabbit. That is to say that our magnetic matrix on Earth is a result of the shape and elements residing on and in the Earth. If you were to simply 'move the magnetic lines' you would be rugging on the material elements of the Earth that create them.

I suppose it could be possible that our 'entire' magnetic feild around our planet 'could' be created entirely by elements residing in our core of our planet, and that possibly these elements sit surounded by the soft malleable magma that could enable the whole core to physically spin and shift the magnetic poles completely. However, don't you think there would be too much resisting magnetic pressures and forces in our thick crusts alone to make this not the best theory?

How about if we looked at it another way? Take a look at this video titled 'how to turn a sphere inside out'

I beleive the poles could switch in a similiar manner.

From 0:23 to 0:42 almost sounds like magnetic forces. They can stretch over distances ( based on their magnetic strength ) .. they can bend ( see Earth magnetic sphere diagram to see how the lines bend around us ) .. and the 'material' of the sphere in the video cannot be 'torn' or bent sharply, similiarly to the idea that if the magnetic poles are to switch, they have to do so in a way that maintains the integrity of the magnetic feild as a whole. They cannot just 'undue' are various points and recollect and attatch again..

Look at the time mark 1:23 and onward into the video. The animation even resembles having lines and paths like the magnetic feilds are depicted around earth! At pretty much exactly the 1:26 time mark the bottom of the sphere is lifted up and the top is pushed down, however there is no fold or crease to 'destroy' the animated sphere because of how the outside perimeters around it have been contorted to maintain integrity..

Here is a more lengthy video if you want to get more into that.

So anyways, can you see how it could be envisioned here?

Take the method from the video for turning the sphere inside out properly and look at it as the magnetic feild around the Earth 'flipping' itself without actually 'spinning' around BUT never breaking a magnetic line as it does so...

What do you think?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
i'm wondering if someone will end up telling me this theory has already been presented as a device to explain the dynamics of our planets pole reversal process

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
the lady in the insideout sphere video was right...

that wasn't easy to follow and if what I did follow I followed even remotely closely, she pinched AND creased the thing a lot more than he did.

and why cant you pinch or crease it? if god creases the earths magnetic field, it doesn't break - it just goes wonky and fixes itself... like the suns does. tighter tighter tighter whoah too tight flip.

I'm glad I just wont fall off the planet when the poles shift, because it's nice here... on the ground...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
We can actually view a simplified model of this happening in a lab. They have built scale model, round, Dynamos.

On those simplified depictions of Earth, the actual switch occurred rather suddenly, but was preceded and followed by a period of chaotic behavior in the field. Things like over all weakening (check) and areas of reversal in the local field (check) were seen. It was rather like a rubber band snapping (much like the description of the release of a solar burst) when the field finally reversed and the ultimate reversal came rather quickly.

That's not to say that we KNOW how it will happen on a planetary scale, but we have some clues as to what's going to occur at least.

This isn't one of the sources I originally read about the process, but it covers the same physics that were used.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

well, i think the 'no creasing or folds' could apply to the magnetic feild because if you think about what magnetic feilds are, they are sort of just like electrical circuits, if you cut off one polarity at one end, for instance the end that is receiving the electromagnetic push, then the whole system would just turn into a monopolar systerm, it would just be having a magnetic push or pull in one direction

i guess my logic could be looked at like this: imagine that the lines representing the magnetic feild wrapping from pole to pole around the earth were peices of string. now, in order to flip the poles the ends of the strings have to remain tied together and not break ( but since magnetic feilds are not really physical things, they can pass through one another through the process, so long as they don't interrupt the integrity of the feild's circuit ), the way that this could happen is that when polarity 'switches' the true 'North' would basically fall into itself until it fell completely into the location that true 'South' used to be, meanwhile true 'South' completes the same process, arriving where true 'North' was once located. The whole time this is happening there are changes in the feild surrounding the Earth just as illustrated in the sphere inside out video, based on the general idea that the magnetic feild has to maintain it's integrity and it's existence while it 'switches' itself.

It's all pretty abstract, but maybe that could clarify it a little more from the perspective i'm coming from..
edit on 12/3/2010 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Changing frequency of geomagnetic reversals over time

The rate of reversals in the Earth's magnetic field has varied widely over time. 72 million years ago (Ma), the field reversed 5 times in a million years. In a 4-million-year period centered on 54 Ma, there were 10 reversals; at around 42 Ma, 17 reversals took place in the span of 3 million years. In a period of 3 million years centering on 24 Ma, 13 reversals occurred. No fewer than 51 reversals occurred in a 12-million-year period, centering on 15 million years ago. These eras of frequent reversals have been counterbalanced by a few "superchrons" – long periods when no reversals took place.[6]

It had generally been assumed that the frequency of geomagnetic reversals is random; in 2006, a team of physicists at the University of Calabria found that the reversals conform to a Lévy distribution, which describes stochastic processes with long-ranging correlations between events in time.[7]

en.wikipedia.org...

I don't think that we will have any huge issues when it happens because it sounds like it doesn't happen in the blink of an eye. It will probably have some effects.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

yeah, well i mean i agree for the most part, but really this thread isn't another 'pole reversal' doomsday thread, it's just a hypothesis i have looking into the scientific structure of how exactly the pole reversal happens to the planet

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Fiberx

hmmm, interesting, i'm wodering if it actually doesn't happen suddenly, that it just is a process that naturally has to happen very fast, possibly seemingly instantaneously to us

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Disclosure is coming

I'm canadian, and i dont watch much TV anymore due to Work, VideoGames, and Friends. When i'm upstairs watching TV with my Mothers and Father i've noticed there are starting to talk about "Using chemicals dispursted in the air to effect cllimets chem trails" and now they're are talking about on CBC, how the earth has a Megnetic Feild that effects ALL of us without us even knowing about. New science has shown the megnetic poles has tottaly swaped 180degrees before, and it happens about every 250,000 years and the last one happened 750,000 years ago, fun eh?, right before my eyes, everything i've been telling my parents that i've been reading about is now being taught and shown on tv.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
So... Middle Earth here we come! (I don't like that creepy Gollum creature, tho!)

Seriously though, this would play out much worse than the 1st scenario (in my opinion.)
What happens to the core, the magma, the crust? (Not to mention the trees, the bees, and ME?!)

Also, does the 2nd scenario apply to a sphere (with its 'baby sphere' in tow) rotating on its axis while revolving around a huge hunka-burnin-luv... along with its sibling spheres?

Not knocking your theory, my friend. I thrive on thinking outside of the box sphere.

In fact it made me think of things like Atlantis perhaps being upside down inside the Earth, instead of sunken.
Maybe survivors puzzled over what the heck happened, studied it for eons, and after the light bulb went off, came up with a way to clue in the descendants to come. I can hear it now...

"Dangit... let's built some pyramids aligned to Orion's Belt to warn the masses of the next inside-out Earth event, 'cause they'll be ten times smarter than us and take one look and know what we're saying!" lol (Else, the Pyramids were upside-down inside the Earth, before the last inside-out event, which had happened earlier and hence the whole Mayan 5th Earth cycle on its way. Hmmm...)

Probably you are now so sorry you even brought this up!

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by new_here
Seriously though, this would play out much worse than the 1st scenario (in my opinion.)

I agree.

And my continuing question... What about all the water? Water is always the elephant in the room... in all the different scenarios, where does the water go?

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
don't think that we will have any huge issues when it happens because it sounds like it doesn't happen in the blink of an eye. It will probably have some effects.

On a geological time scale, 1000 years is a 'blink of the eye' and the magnetic field could ebb, flow & wander about for a long time before it stabilised again with a reversed polarity.

If it happens in our lifetime there'll be some effects but it doesn't mean we'll be suddenly compelled to stand on our heads or electric motors running backwards. With GPS systems taking over in navigation our technology is making us less dependant on the magnetic field orientation all the time and electric motors have no reliance on the earth's magnetic field. The largest concern is that if the field collapsed to a very low or zero strength for a long time (on a human lifetime scale), we'd be exposed to more radiation from extraterrestrial sources and suffer health-wise with a depleted magnetic shield around the planet.

new topics

top topics

join