It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When did GOD stop making prophets?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Michael Cecil

Originally posted by tinfoilman When Jesus said there would be no more prophets he meant just prophets.

Jesus never said that there would be no more prophets.

The Revelation of John was written several years after the death of Jesus; and it was specifically referred to as a "Prophecy" by the person who wrote it.

Even more importantly, Jesus Prophesied that Elijah would return again...

A Prophecy which was fulfilled by Mohammed.

Mi cha el

I'm not sure if you're aware, but there's debate about both. Some people say Revelations shouldn't be in the Bible or it's not prophecy. It's a letter written in apocalyptic tone and may or may not predict the future, but that's something different than what prophecy meant in Jesus's time. When Revelations was written though, much later, the use of the word prophet had changed slightly and so John was called a prophet, but some argue it's not exactly the same thing. And also, some say John didn't write Revelations, that it was Jesus speaking through John, so again, it would just be the last prophet giving one more prophecy.

And the Muhammad question I already addressed earlier. He's called a messenger by Gabriel and not a prophet. But I'm not here to debate that.

I think you're missing my point. My point wasn't that Jesus said there would be no more prophets or future predictors, or what we call prophets today. We would still have prophets, my point was our word prophet today means something different than it did then. Jesus was the last of a certain kind of prophet that carried God's message with all the authority of God.

We would still have what we call prophets today, but back then prophet meant something slightly different to the people that wrote the OT, and future predictors were referred to as seers and other things. Now we call seers prophets and we don't really have a word to describe exactly what a prophet meant to the people back in the OT.

This is why people are confused. Why would it say there would be no more prophets only for another prophet to come along? Well it's just because there's more than one kind of prophet and we're using the same word to describe two different things.

No where in the Bible does it say that there won't be more messengers of God or people or seers of the future. Today we would call those people prophets, but back then they didn't usually use the word prophet in that context.
edit on 5-12-2010 by tinfoilman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by IAMIAM

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
Great. Perhaps now you can clear up your belief on the topic at hand. Why do you think god is continuing to create "prophets"? Especially if there's no evidence as to the existence of a "prophet" [as people divinely inspired to see the future] anyway?

My friend if you cannot understand my meaning by what has already been said, someone else might make it clearer. I know no other way to say that which I have already said on the subject.

With Love,

Your Brother

Well, I'm asking you a direct question in hopes that you will answer. I am not going to attempt to infer a meaning based on other threads. So far, you haven't been very specific in regard to my question.

Prove there is no GOD.... If you are here only to play this "prove" it game, its visibly childish. If you were making a real point, unlike now, it would deserve a responce. Till then, why do you persist to pester here? You sound as bad as the "bible thumpers" you abhore...

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tinfoilman

our word prophet today means something different than it did then. Jesus was the last of a certain kind of prophet that carried God's message with all the authority of God.

In those days, they had bloodlines for pretty much every task. There was a bloodline dedicated to priests who took care of the temple. I dont remember, (I'll have to read up on this) but I think Jesus came from the same bloodline as King David? Or a unity of bloodlines with the priesthood?

Usually, the chosen was someone that was dedicated to GOD and lived their lives following every law. Once they were chosen, they were directed by GOD in some form or another, to tell kings/people/cities the warnings. If the warnings, or prophecies (what GOD was about to do to them) were not headed... destruction fell on them.

Older prophets like Moses and Abraham were of a chosen bloodline. I can agree Jesus was the last of his kind, and there has been no prophet since that I can recall that could raise the dead, part the seas, or make an army invincibe as long as he could raise his arms. Perhaps due to todays lack of faith, or we're doing it all wrong. I think that the same could apply today, but on a more personal basis. This also seems like the point of Christ in the first place.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
The more things change, the more they stay the same. Here's hoping for a little good news today.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

Bloodlines may of had something to do with it. I haven't thought of that, but you bring up a good point. It's very interesting. I think I'll research that and see if I find anything. Thank you for the insight.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I know Emmanuel Swedenborg said he was the last true prophet(died in 1772) since nobody would be allowed to distract people away from the path to salvation during the endtimes. He came from the city of "Falun" in Sweden and was a universal genius and he told us everything about Falun Dafa and the Son-of-Man´s arrival.

In my opinion, the only path to true salvation today is self-cultivation in Falun Dafa. Virtue, people have forgotten everything about virtue, that is the key to the future for every living being.

Recite "Zhen-Shan-Ren(Truthfulness, Compassion, Forbearance) is good, Falun Dafa is good" every time trouble hits you and you will make it.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to tinfoilman.
Is prophecy the sole perogative of Judeo-Christian religions? How about Hinduism, Buddhism etc.? Looking at the longer picture, there seems to be a progression of fairly consistent fore-telling through many faiths.
So, should we not look also to new faiths, like science, as well as old faiths? Prophets, perhaps not, but seers in the field of cosmology. Yes, seer is a better term for our time.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
A reply about a true prophet and who makes them. Well only one knows future history and that is Yahweh the one and only True God. The man sent with a prophecy is called a "seer", he saw or was told by vision or an angel sent of God with a future history message. A true messenger from God, the message will not fail and every point will be met. False prophets hit and miss, sent of another master. Also God will yet have prophets on the scene before the end. I gave reasons for that in an earlier reply on this thread. Now I will give you another.
It is this verse of scripture, Amos 3:7, KJV

7 Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

If God wasn't going to do nothing more He would not send a prophet and notice also from the verse "His servants" But I tell you now He is and it is coming soon. Read - Na. 1:9 -

9 What do ye imagine against the LORD? he will make an utter end: affliction shall not rise up the second time.

Folks, we are at the finish line.

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthiron Amos 3:7, KJV 7 Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

Of course. Of course.

But the critical issue here is that they are "secrets" (as is echoed in the 12th Chapter of the Book of Daniel)...

Secrets being defined as things which are not already known, or things which are not widely known, or both.

But this does NOT mean that these Prophecies and these "secrets" will be widely publicized.

On the contrary, if the religious 'authorities' and the media officials are OFFENDED by these Prophecies and "secrets", they will refuse to publicize them at all.

Mi cha el

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Michael Cecil
But this does NOT mean that these Prophecies and these "secrets" will be widely publicized.

On the contrary, if the religious 'authorities' and the media officials are OFFENDED by these Prophecies and "secrets", they will refuse to publicize them at all.

Mi cha el

Absolutely my friend. However, would it make a difference if the "authorities" did publicise these Prophecies?

How many Prophets have come and gone, in many cultures and traditions, and still, STILL to this day, the people refuse to listen?

The problems with Prophets, is people do not wish to hear what they have to say. The false Prophet is the one who tells you what YOU want to hear.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by blindsight42
reply to tinfoilman.
Is prophecy the sole perogative of Judeo-Christian religions?

I don't think so, but that's not what I was trying to imply. I'm not trying to call out what a real prophet is vs a fake profit or to say all prophets from other religions are fake or that Christianity is only about prophecy. I was just showing that in the Bible in certain contexts they had a different idea of what a prophet was than what other religions did and if you use the same word in both places it can be confusing and start a fight when there is no fight needed.

To discuss the prophets of every religion and compare them you'd really have to study each religion and find out what prophet means to each religion along with all their subtle differences in definition so you're not accidentally comparing apples to oranges.

The Bible can be hard to read because it has a lot of words for things that seem to us like they would be the same, but there are very subtle differences between them. For example in the NT the word soul doesn't always mean exactly the same thing as the word soul in the OT.

The Bible was written in multiple languages and sometimes you have to use the same word to describe two things that are actually just a little bit different because one language doesn't perfectly translate to another. And Hebrew many times has different words for things that are almost the same, but in the Hebrew by looking at which word was used, you can understand the context where in English they both get translated to the same word and you lose some of that context.

Some times the context is lost to time completely and sometimes it starts fights over what someone in the book said just because we've lost the context of it. Sometimes fights get started over what the person actually said too, but sometimes the fight is caused just because we don't have a biblical scholar on hand to explain the differences in languages lol. That's unfortunate.

I was just trying to point out that our word for prophet today doesn't exactly match up with what the authors of the OT saw as a prophet. So, if you compare today's prophets with Biblical prophets you can be comparing apples to oranges and it can lead to a fight that's not necessary.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Lets prove you are a Prophet. Obtain a large caliber handgun. Ensure that it is loaded. Place the barrel into your mouth and pull the trigger. Since you are not divinely inspired to know the future, you should not mind doing this for you do not know what will happen.

Do you really believe the things you say? Of course he wouldn't do it. It's common knowledge that the likelihood of such an action is death. One does not need to be a prophet to know the result.

Now, if you are truly not a Prophet with divine inspiration, then do NOT do this. I assure you as I am a Prophet that is divinely inspired that it will result in your immediate death.

You are not a prophet and you proved nothing! You are a regular person struggling with a mundane life/world devoid of magic. You have rejected reality and replaced it with your own.

IRM
edit on 7/12/10 by InfaRedMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Do you really believe the things you say? Of course he wouldn't do it. It's common knowledge that the likelihood of such an action is death. One does not need to be a prophet to know the result.

Yes, I believe the things I say my friend. You seem to be missing the point. We have 5 senses perfectly adapted to foretelling the future events of our actions. This is our greatest gift given to us by God. With them we can see that if we continue down the path we are on as a species, we will only bring further destruction and pain into our existence. You discount this because you think the senses mundane? Truly it is magical my friend. What would your existence be like without the 5 senses? A cold, black, unfeeling, unseeing, unhearing, void. God gave you and all mankind the greatest of gifts and you spit on them and demand more! You say to God, "give me something that makes me special!". Bah! He answers such a prayer and gives you a mind which comprhends the input from those senses unlike anyone else, totally unique to you. Still, you want more.

What have you done with what you have been given, to deserve more?

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
You are not a prophet and you proved nothing! You are a regular person struggling with a mundane life/world devoid of magic. You have rejected reality and replaced it with your own.

Oh I am quite ordinary my friend. I never disputed that. The only thing which sets me a part from all others on this planet is my own unique interpretation of this existence. Every person has a unique interpretation, as unique as our finger prints. This is reality! You claim it is devoid of magic? Look around you! There is magic in every atom of existence!

Thank you for sharing your view my friend. If it brings you peace, joy, and happiness, keep it. I'll keep my own thank you.

With Love,

Your Brother
edit on 7-12-2010 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
We are all prophets.

You are the only savior of your self. You are Lord of your self. If you were not, who would be?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
We are all prophets.

You are the only savior of your self. You are Lord of your self. If you were not, who would be?

Precisely. Thank you for proving I am not unique to this view my friend.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Here's what I think: Cortexit and the vapors reaching to ellis island or a ship miss liberty or something like that and an explosion in the gulf. However, I don't really know and that's why prophets make their prophecies so cryptic...years later when something does happpen in the gulf someone will go 'oh yea there it is that is what they meant'. I am not convinced.
edit on 7-12-2010 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

I have a question, what makes anyone believe that God made prophets to begin with? Consider the thought process. Men, who had no one to answer to, come out and say God spoke to them and said to do "X". Why would God, all powerful and omniscient, need to have some random guy deliver his message in the first place?

Why weren't the same messages spread out througout the WHOLE world? If God was using humans to deliver a message are you telling me he uses a small group to deliver to only SOME people. That makes NO sense.

There has never been a prophet nor will there ever be one, God doesn't need it.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
He has not stopped talking to people or making prophets. Most people just no longer believe. Most people dont believe in the prophecies in the bible either. Most people believe because they feel it is what they are supposed to do. Not because they actually believe. Jesus could come down from the heavens with the whole world watching, and people would still would not believe it is him.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Ingo Swann says that the human biosystem is loaded with subtle sensory organs whose functions are overpowered by the orgy of stimuli that we are inundated with constantly.

Perhaps if God speaks, this is how he speaks. So quietly that you can just barely hear Him over the roar of the world around us.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Very good point. I always thought that there was a sensitivity factor to it. If you "listen" you will "hear" it. Even that is a broad definition. It seems perfectly natural to many, yet for some there seems to be no connection at all. I think everyone has the choice, and thats where free will comes in.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join