It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When did GOD stop making prophets?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Greetings Brothers and Sisters,

It is my belief that God has never quit making Prophets. I believe each and everyone of us is a Prophet of God. Look around the world we live in. What is God trying to say?

One can look at the millions of homeless around the world, living in poverty, struggling to find their next meal and hear God proclaim "Your system of inequity is hurting your Brothers and Sisters!"

One can look around the world at the millions dying everyday from inadequate medical care and easily curable disease and hear God saying "Behold your Brothers and Sisters need your help!"

One can look around the world and see the death and destruction one people wage against another and hear God saying "Why do you not share the gifts I have given to my children?"

One can look at the world around them and see the destruction we have done to our own planet and hear God proclaiming "Why do you destroy that which I gave you to sustain you?"

One can look around the world and see our Brothers and Sisters being placed into cages, their lives destroyed and outcast for petty "crimes" and hear God inquire "Why do you torture those whom I have created?"

One can look around the world and see the unemployed who have no work, not because there is no work to be done, but because we have created a greater idol to work for and hear God "Have you forgotten me?"

One can look at the world WE have created and hear God weep "My children, I love you all, if only you love me as much you would not do these things!"

God creates Prophets every day. Ask your children if we are living right. Look at what our artists are showing us with the music they create, the movies we watch, the news, the TV shows. Listen to the wailing, the anger, the hate. Look within, is this what YOU want?

Be your own Prophet.

With Love,

Your Brother
edit on 4-12-2010 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by 19rn50
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

True
[People cannot "see the future" no matter how cool we'd like to think it is if they could.]
God is the one who see the future and warns the Prophet. From what I know, like seeing
a video on you-tube. Here is where the problem comes into play. The people have to
interrupt the video. Now every person see the video differently and it's meaning.
You-tube video you can check the time frame and make a predicted date.
With God a day/1000 years.

Are you able to prove any of this? If this is correct in any way it implies that god is an extremely crummy communicator. Shouldn't such a being be able to communicate specific details that wouldn't confuse the recipient?

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

How do you discern that "the voice of god" is just that and not your own conscience? And how do any of those things qualify as "prophecy" in any way? They all appear to be normal empathetic feelings.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I genuinely believe I'm a prophet. I keep trying to convince myself I'm insane, because I'd prefer that to be the case rather than what I see being the truth, but I always end up believing I'm a prophet. Everyone else seems to think I'm insane and I certainly come across as little unhinged sometimes, but I think that's a result of, rather than the cause of my outrageous beliefs.

I believe if you really want to understand what's going on in this world you need to first acknowledge the presence of evil; eternal evil forces operating through a multitude of means. Greed, pride, lust and such are not the cause of this unjust world, they are merely tools used by this evil in order to lead us astray. The enemy is not restricted to politics and banking - although these are certainly weapons of this conspiracy. The enemy can literally be found all around us.
edit on 4-12-2010 by Robert Reynolds because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
How do you discern that "the voice of god" is just that and not your own conscience? And how do any of those things qualify as "prophecy" in any way? They all appear to be normal empathetic feelings.

My friend, why does the voice of God have to be anything other than your own conscience?

The conscience IS the voice of God for God is within you and all around you. That which you see, hear, and feel (physically) travels to an infinite part of yourself. From deep within you comes forth a feeling (emotionally, emote) which we translate to thought, then action.

That which you do not wish to see, hear, feel for yourself, do not subject others to.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
God still makes prophets, only it is now spelled profits...pass the tray please

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
when did a mythical being stop making humans that sometimes were right in their predictions? good question...but only open to speculation.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man God still makes prophets, only it is now spelled profits...pass the tray please.

My guess is that, if you were to ask the religious 'authorities' when God stopped making prophets, the answer would be that God stopped making prophets when He realized that, if He were to send another prophet, no one would want to listen to the religious 'authorities' any more. They would all lose their jobs; no one would buy their books or their video tapes, or listen to their radio or TV shows any more. And they would all lose their health insurance and their pensions.

How 'accommodating' for said 'God': 'His' only concern appears to be not the Truth or the terrible situation that this planet is in; but, rather, nothing more than the economic welfare of the religious 'authorities' themselves.

Mi cha el

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
God didn't stop making profits.

How many Americans have woken up and finally realized WallStreet/Federal Reserve/Banks/Congress ARE CROOKS?

Looks like those muslim boys were right. Today's Prophets are called "terrorists" by the Devil to justify killing them.

The Devil has it easier today than he did thousands of years ago. He can click and point a mouse and kill Prophets.

Hence why you will NEVER have a man drop to Earth and say he is Jesus Christ. He'd be dead within a minute.

Satan has many tools at his disposal today, and an Army of dumbed down citizens ready to kill for him.
edit on 4-12-2010 by Pervius because: truth?

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM

My friend, why does the voice of God have to be anything other than your own conscience?

The conscience IS the voice of God for God is within you and all around you. That which you see, hear, and feel (physically) travels to an infinite part of yourself. From deep within you comes forth a feeling (emotionally, emote) which we translate to thought, then action.

That which you do not wish to see, hear, feel for yourself, do not subject others to.

With Love,

Your Brother

Then why do you call it "god" if we have another name for it: "conscience"? By this definition, "god" as a separate, external entity which makes "prophets" doesn't exist. Also, how can there be an "infinite part of yourself"? The terminology and definitions here aren't making sense.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Then why do you call it "god" if we have another name for it: "conscience"?

My friend, we seem to be lost on definitions. When I say God, I do not speak of a Man or even supernatural being hanging around casting judgements. To me, God is the sum total of everything in existence. I know it is intelligent due to the precise nature of this creation. I know it is infinite by the limitless bounds of everything within us and everything without us. I know it is infinitely good because everything in existence serves a purpose to make it all work.

By this definition, "god" as a separate, external entity which makes "prophets" doesn't exist.

See the above.

Also, how can there be an "infinite part of yourself"? The terminology and definitions here aren't making sense.

This is the majesty of God! Every part IS infinite! You have an infitie number of universes in the palm of your hand. Look closely. First you have your skin cells. Can you count their number? No, they come into existence, live, and die all without you even noticing. The skin cells are made of molecules. Can you count their numbers? No, the combine, serve there purpose and seperate once more to form again another day. Look still closer! You have the atoms which make the molecules. Can you count their number? No, they continue on, coming and going without your knowledge. Look closer!!! They infinity in the palm of your hand you will never ever truly know! Beyond the Atom is even more layers of existence Mankind has yet to discover.

Now look up! Above you are an infinite number of stars. To the stars, YOU are like the speck on the speck on the speck on the speck of the electron. Yet, YOU are just as important and essential to the functioning of the universe as the electron is to you.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Michael Cecil

God stopped making prophets when He realized that, if He were to send another prophet, no one would want to listen to the religious 'authorities' any more.

I dont think that's correct. I think all of the prophets he sent were killed since the beginning. In all cases mentioned, those prophets came to speak to many but few listened then as they would not still. I dont think anything would change now as it were then. Would they be killed? Would we do these things? Certainly. But I feel that Christ would have a following today just as he did then if he were walking the earth. I would go as far as to say, that if Christ walked the earth today, he would probably have the following of a serious mass and multitudes. Wether or not the people beyond the first few rows would remain faithful is a diffrent matter. That would depend on how many people witnessed the miracles, I would guess. Though, I feel that probably wouldnt happen in such an event that it would be on TV. He would probably walk the slums.

Mark 2:17
On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

At the end of it, it would probably be drug dealers or pimps, something to that effect, that would murder a prophet today. Possibly a fanatic from a rival belief, church, or faction.

traditionaldrummer
Then why do you call it "god" if we have another name for it: "conscience"? By this definition, "god" as a separate, external entity which makes "prophets" doesn't exist. Also, how can there be an "infinite part of yourself"? The terminology and definitions here aren't making sense.

Why is that a point here? The OP has nothing to do with wether or not GOD is real to you. That Thread Is Here

tinfoilman - A prophet is not to be confused with a messenger or psychic. A prophet is someone that gets a revelation directly from God. Sometimes that's not always the case.

For example if you look at what Gabriel tells Muhammad he says, Oh Muhammad! Truly you are the messenger of Allah. Notice he calls him the messenger of Allah and not a prophet. Muhammad gets called a prophet anyway, but technically that's not correct. He should just be called a messenger. If either one is a prophet in this story it would actually be Gabriel. He's the one revealing the revelation.

Perhaps, but as the word itself means -one who speaks prophecy-, even the Koran speaks a little on prophecy. Though, I dont think it applys to speaking of the same prophecy that is already stated. Wether or not the Koran does this, I am not sure.

As in Nostrodaumus' case, he mentions in his letter to his son Ceasar

The whole work is thus written in a nebulous rather than plainly prophetic form. So much so that,

You have hidden these things from the wise and the circumspect, that is from the mighty and the rulers, and you have purified those things for the small and the poor, and through Almighty God's will, revealed unto those prophets with the power to perceive what is distant and thereby to foretell things to come. For nothing can be accomplished without this faculty, whose power and goodness work so strongly in those to whom it is given that, while they contemplate within themselves, these powers are subject to other influences arising from the force of good. This warmth and strength of prophecy invests us with its influence as the sun's rays affect both animate and inanimate entities.

But then he goes on to say...

And so once again, my son, if I have eschewed the word prophet, I do not wish to attribute to myself such lofty title at the present time, for whoever is called a prophet now was once called a seer; since a prophet, my son, is properly speaking one who sees distant things through a natural knowledge of all creatures. And it can happen that the prophet bringing about the perfect light of prophecy may make manifest things both human and divine, because this cannot be done otherwise, given that the effects of predicting the future extend far off into time.

I dont want to trail off too far because I feel this might be important...

But false Christs and false prophets will arise and will make signs and wonders in order to be deceiving if possible, the chosen. But you be looking; I have foretold you everything."

It only mentions them being false. It doesnt say that there wont be any new ones. This is where it can get confusing. Though, I think its being said, more or less "I've told you everything you need to know, why would you keep looking?", but thats just my take on it. In revelation, it speaks of the 2 witnesses. If they are who many christians believe them to be, they too were prophets, but from the past.

Valid points though. You have me thinking.
edit on 5-12-2010 by theRhenn because: left out quote direction

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

The prophecy is pretty vague and poetic, it sounds nice on paper but is open to interpretation. That is the deal breaker for prophecy for me, vague and open to interpretation. Any prediction with merit would be so specific as to be impossible to misinterpret, the danger there is that psychics and prophets who dabble in specifics are more likely to be wrong (go figure) and therefore lose their support. The advantage of the vague prophecy is that the reader's mind does the interpreting for you so it is up to the ones hearing the prophecy to ascribe any real meaning to it.

As for the title of the OP I would argue that maybe God never made any prophets at all and those we read about in the Bible and other places either never existed or were nothing like the stories made them out to be.

The power to shape the future lies within us all and the best way to predict that future is to look at the past and the present. If we don't like the past and the present than it should be up to us to make the future what we want it to be

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn
reply to post by Michael Cecil

But then he goes on to say...

And so once again, my son, if I have eschewed the word prophet, I do not wish to attribute to myself such lofty title at the present time, for whoever is called a prophet now was once called a seer; since a prophet, my son, is properly speaking one who sees distant things through a natural knowledge of all creatures. And it can happen that the prophet bringing about the perfect light of prophecy may make manifest things both human and divine, because this cannot be done otherwise, given that the effects of predicting the future extend far off into time.

See this kinda of hits on the issue. It's just a technicality here. He's talking about how prophets used to be called seers. Back then seers were seers, but prophets were prophets in the the religions of Abraham. A distinction we no longer have today. Now they're lumped together in one big group, and that's usually okay, but when you try to understand Jesus it can get a little confusing if you don't know. Part of the reason it's so complicated is because even at the time, prophets were still lumped together with seers. It was only in Judaism and Christianity where they were two different things.

When Jesus said there would be no more prophets he meant just prophets. You can read a few stories in the OT about how seers got their predictions wrong and they had to call in a prophet that knew what God's plan was. This shows there is a distinction between a prophet and a seer.

So when he said that, he didn't mean there wouldn't be anymore seers. Psychics, seers, future tellers, truth tellers would still come, but a specific kind of seer called a prophet, you wouldn't see anymore.

The main difference between a seer and a prophet is a seer sees the future, but a prophet does not actually see the future. A prophet is told what the future will be by God, but God knows because he's going to make it happen. It's just God telling the prophet what God is going to do.

It's like if I tell my wife I'm off to the grocery store. She's not a psychic if she knows I'm going to the grocery store. She just knows because I told her that's where I'm going and I go out and make it happen. A seer on the other hand can somehow actually see the future without doing anything to influence the situation or make it happen, but sometimes they don't understand what they're seeing.

A seer does not know God's will or how to understand it. That's why seers got some of their predictions wrong in the OT. They saw what should of happened, but they didn't understand it.

So in the OT they had to call in prophets that could talk to God and explain what God was going to do like when Joseph had to explain to Pharaoh that his dream meant 7 years of prosperity and 7 years of famine. The Pharaoh was the seer and Joesph was the prophet to explain the dream.

In the Bible it says, Then Joseph said to Pharaoh, “The dreams of Pharaoh are one; God has shown Pharaoh what He is about to do." Joesph the prophet couldn't actually see the future. Only the Pharaoh could see the future, but the Pharaoh couldn't understand it. Joesph could explain the Pharaoh's vision though because a prophet can talk to God in a way that allows him to figure out the visions.

This is what prophets did usually in the OT. They didn't predict the future, they were just told what God was going to do. Many times you needed a seer to see the vision and a prophet to explain the vision and explain why God was going to do something. The two worked together, but were two different things.

Now though prophets, messengers, and future tellers get lumped into the same category because the distinction isn't important anymore. When Jesus said it though the distinction was important. The reason is because he wasn't saying there wouldn't be any more future tellers, but from that point on there would be no one that could claim to know what God's will was anymore. That's the important part.

In other words a seer tells us what's going to happen, but a prophet tells us what God is going to do. Jesus was saying he's already told us what God is going to do, so there will be no more prophets. But there will still be people that can predict the future and things like that. Even more so if you believe in Christianity because now you know what God is going to do and you can depend on that when making your predictions.

But the reason Jesus warned of false prophets is because people will come and say they're a profit and falsely tell you what the will of God is or tell you what God wants. He wanted to stress not to listen when people tell you want God's will is or what he wants. Jesus has already foretold all that and if you want to know what God's will is, or what he wants, or what he is going to do, then just read the words of Jesus because Jesus has already told you. This was to protect us from people falsely telling us what God's will was.

He wanted to lay out what he going to do all the way to the end because he was trying to protect us from people trying to use God as a means to get us to do things we shouldn't like worship a false God or start religious wars because a false prophet told us that God told him to do it. Jesus was just trying to protect us from frauds.

That doesn't mean someone can't tell the future though. Like I said, it should be even easier now because we know what God is going to do. But if someone says they know what God is going to do or what God wants we should be suspicious because if we want to know that we can just open our Bible and find out for ourselves.

EDIT:
I also wanted to add, that some people speculate that the reason the OT prophets couldn't always see the future is because for the Israelites, predicting the future wasn't allowed. It wasn't necessarily a sin, but it was against their holiness code at least.

And the reason the seers couldn't understand the will of God is because they worshiped other Gods and therefore God would not or could not reveal his secrets to them because of this. But God still needed to warn the people and so he needed them to know what was going to happen. So this is why he had them work together. He would give a vision of the future to a non-Israelite, but it was a vision only an Israelite could interpret or understand so that the two could work together to receive future warnings of things like famine without the Israelites having to break their holiness code.
edit on 5-12-2010 by tinfoilman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhennreply to post by Michael Cecil

God stopped making prophets when He realized that, if He were to send another prophet, no one would want to listen to the religious 'authorities' any more.

I dont think that's correct.

That was a snide comment.

You skipped the part where I wrote, "if you ask the religious 'authorities'..."

Mi cha el
edit on 5-12-2010 by Michael Cecil because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinfoilman When Jesus said there would be no more prophets he meant just prophets.

Jesus never said that there would be no more prophets.

The Revelation of John was written several years after the death of Jesus; and it was specifically referred to as a "Prophecy" by the person who wrote it.

Even more importantly, Jesus Prophesied that Elijah would return again...

A Prophecy which was fulfilled by Mohammed.

Mi cha el

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

My friend, we seem to be lost on definitions. When I say God, I do not speak of a Man or even supernatural being hanging around casting judgements. To me, God is the sum total of everything in existence. I know it is intelligent due to the precise nature of this creation. I know it is infinite by the limitless bounds of everything within us and everything without us. I know it is infinitely good because everything in existence serves a purpose to make it all work.

You're a pantheist then?

This is the majesty of God! Every part IS infinite! You have an infitie number of universes in the palm of your hand. Look closely. First you have your skin cells. Can you count their number? No, they come into existence, live, and die all without you even noticing. The skin cells are made of molecules. Can you count their numbers? No, the combine, serve there purpose and seperate once more to form again another day. Look still closer! You have the atoms which make the molecules. Can you count their number? No, they continue on, coming and going without your knowledge. Look closer!!! They infinity in the palm of your hand you will never ever truly know! Beyond the Atom is even more layers of existence Mankind has yet to discover.

Now look up! Above you are an infinite number of stars. To the stars, YOU are like the speck on the speck on the speck on the speck of the electron. Yet, YOU are just as important and essential to the functioning of the universe as the electron is to you.

With Love,

Your Brother]

Sir, none of those things are infinite

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

You're a pantheist then?

Does it matter? Really, does it matter what label you or I put on a belief in that which no man can prove to another? Would you better understand my belief if I put it into a box that others with similar, yet not precisely the same, beliefs have been put into?

Or

Would it be sufficient to say that my belief is that you are as important to our existence as I am. That I owe you as much love, respect, and adoration as I would expect for myself. That I am here to help you flourish that we both may flourish together, and make this existence, this here and now, the best that it can be for both of us.

Which belief do you really desire to focus on my friend?

Sir, none of those things are infinite

Shall we continue debating those things which neither of us can prove, or can we return to the discussion of that which we can prove such as the effects our current systems and attitudes are having on the world around us?

With Love,

Your Brother
edit on 5-12-2010 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

You're a pantheist then?

Does it matter?

It only matters if you believe that there is a god that "makes prophets". If so, your concept of god becomes pertinent. Otherwise, no it's doesn't matter and I'm not trying to box you in with a label.

Shall we continue debating those things which neither of us can prove, or can we return to the discussion of that which we can prove such as the effects our current systems and attitudes are having on the world around us?

With Love,

Your Brother

Well, those things can be proven. There a finite number of skin cells for example. They are a lot, and beyond all normal measure that the average person can count, but finite nonetheless.

Systems and attitudes definitely have an effect on the world around us, though this doesn't seem to be the topic. The topic is about "prophets" who "see the future" and whether there's a god that stopped making them. Plus the link to the crazy 50s preacher in the OP. So far all evidence indicates that there are no such things as people who can "see the future". And god(s) doesn't seem to exist except perhaps in your case in which you're attributing the universe and its aspects to being a god. If there are no people who can be proven to have "seen the future" -ever-, why do so many people believe in it?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

theRhenn,

The answer is, God has not stopped making prophets. He is getting ready 144,000 now and may have them about sealed and ready. Read the following verses. Rev. 7:3,4.

3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.
4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.

These are His servants the prophets to do the work in Rev. Chap. 11:

Truthiron.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join