It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Pardons Nine People

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
msnbc

President grants first pardons while in White House, mostly for low-grade crimes

First pardons of his presidency named today. Nine people total, mostly low grade crimes, drug offenses
Here is the list:

The people pardoned were:

—James Bernard Banks, of Liberty, Utah, sentenced to two years of probation in 1972 for illegal possession of government property.

—Russell James Dixon, of Clayton, Ga., sentenced to two years of probation in 1960 for a liquor law violation.

—Laurens Dorsey, of Syracuse, N.Y., sentenced in 1998 to five years of probation and $71,000 in restitution for conspiracy to defraud by making false statements to the Food and Drug Administration.

—Ronald Lee Foster, of Beaver Falls, Pa., sentenced in 1963 to a year of probation and a $20 fine for mutilating coins.

—Timothy James Gallagher, of Navasota, Texas, sentenced in 1982 to three years of probation for coc aine possession and conspiracy to distribute.

—Roxane Kay Hettinger, Powder Springs, Ga., sentenced in 1986 to 30 days in jail and three years of probation for conspiracy to distribute coc aine.

—Edgar Leopold Kranz Jr., of Minot, N.D., who received 24 months of confinement and a pay reduction for coc aine use, adultery and bouncing checks.

—Floretta Leavy, of Rockford, Ill., sentenced in 1984 to 366 days in prison and three years of parole for drug offenses.

—Scoey Lathaniel Morris, of Crosby, Texas, sentenced in 1991 to three years of probation and $1,200 restitution for counterfeiting offenses.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

im a little lost. so he granted pardons to people who already served there full sentence....
nice

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Counterfeitting, bouncing checks, coc aine, coc aine, coc aine, liquer...

Well I can see pardoning past dealers and all, but come on.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

im a little lost. so he granted pardons to people who already served there full sentence....
nice

The pardon wipes their criminal record of the pardoned offense. Likely, these were people that wrote to him with sob stories about how they can not find work due to past indiscretion. At least he didn't pardon anyone that has truly screwed the American people.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

nice

Well a pardon is the order by the executive branch of a government to vacate the conviction and the associated penalty.
Commutation of sentencing would be the release of someone currently serving their sentence, but the conviction would still remain.
It is common for the President to fully pardon those who have already served their sentence, because it removes the conviction entirely.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Maybe he is just setting the precedent that counterfeiting is a pardonable crime.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

nice

The pardon wipes their criminal record of the pardoned offense. Likely, these were people that wrote to him with sob stories about how they can not find work due to past indiscretion. At least he didn't pardon anyone that has truly screwed the American people.

No that is what stimulus plans and corporate bail outs are for. You don't have to pardon those that are screwing you if you pay them. In at least one state that makes it a legitimate business.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
No that is what stimulus plans and corporate bail outs are for. You don't have to pardon those that are screwing you if you pay them. In at least one state that makes it a legitimate business.

Well actually you can not pardon someone who hasnt been charged, convicted and sentenced.
So of course you couldnt pardon them.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

I was really curious about the coin mutilator so I used the power of the interwebs to find this:

Foster, now 66, said he wasn't aware that he even had a felony conviction on his record until he applied for a gun permit in Pennsylvania five years ago and was denied.

He was told about the pardon earlier Friday by his lawyer, who applied for it on his behalf about 18 months ago.

More here.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234
reply to post by Aggie Man

I was really curious about the coin mutilator so I used the power of the interwebs to find this:

Foster, now 66, said he wasn't aware that he even had a felony conviction on his record until he applied for a gun permit in Pennsylvania five years ago and was denied.

He was told about the pardon earlier Friday by his lawyer, who applied for it on his behalf about 18 months ago.

More here.

Yea I read up on his situation myself because it sounds the most interesting.
Its a shame that this guy spent so many years as a felon, but never knew it.
I guess he never registered to vote if he never knew of his status.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
he got the Nobel Peace Prize but he didn't do something for peace such as he still add the amount of army to Afghan

he should say sorry for many people

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
well pardon me MTFKR

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
frankly speaking like many people that i like him very much thinking he is very kind-hearted and energetic
many people have total confidence that he will be a perfect president but at last he disappointed us with his boring behaviours

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by dccruibay
frankly speaking like many people that i like him very much thinking he is very kind-hearted and energetic
many people have total confidence that he will be a perfect president but at last he disappointed us with his boring behaviours

Honestly I dont know many people who ever think that the sitting US president will be 'perfect'
In most cases, they come in with hopes of change, but more often than not its like that Who song.

'Meet my new boss, same as my old boss.'

new topics

top topics

join