It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Govt. looking at tech. to disable cell phones in cars

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Whilst I agree for the most part, what they should do is make it so your mobile phone works if it is cradled and your conversation is routed through your car speakers via wire or bluetooth, a lot of cars are coming with this feature as standard now (in the UK anyway), and it's no different than talking to a passenger, they could even add a feature that calls the emergency services in the event of a crash, in case the driver can't.
edit on 3/12/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

Typically, I would agree and tend not to like the type of list-scenario I used - however, I believe all (well, minus the cell tech. for now) of those technologies are currently, or will be shortly available as options in newer cars. So, the idea of "possibly leading to a slipper slope" is null and void... It's done.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
Whilst I agree for the most part, what they should do is make it so your mobile phone works if it is cradled and your conversation is routed through your car speakers via wire or bluetooth, a lot of cars are coming with this feature as standard now (in the UK anyway), and it's no different than talking to a passenger, they could even add a feature that calls the emergency services in the event of a crash, in case the driver can't.
edit on 3/12/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

Woogleuk, yes, I agree that routers through wires or bluetooth would diminish some of the dangers--thanks for that added information.... the texting/surfing is what really becomes dangerous

My *car* in the US automatically calls emergency services if I hit a button or there is a crash--I think its called on-star (but it is a german car).

In a similar vein, the US govt is also looking to add rear-view cams as mandatory to new models in a few years. Currently, my car doesn't have that capability but does beep loudly if I am going in reverse and am getting too close to something (person, building, etc.)

edit on 3-12-2010 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by sonjah1

Typically, I would agree and tend not to like the type of list-scenario I used - however, I believe all (well, minus the cell tech. for now) of those technologies are currently, or will be shortly available as options in newer cars. So, the idea of "possibly leading to a slipper slope" is null and void... It's done.

OK, I understand what you mean about the techs being options in newer cars.

I guess the terms "mandatory" or "government-required" as opposed to "options" are what I'm referring to with regards to slippery slope.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

You know, I understand the need for safety and I do think that using hand-held devices while driving is incredibly risky, but at the heart of the issue is "distracted drivers" and there are so many things that could be causing distraction that certainly are not limited to the phone. Exhausted drivers is another huge issue. Bottom line is that it's difficult for me to accept the intrusive technology as a fix to the issue, it feels like a band aid on top of "dad" constantly watching over ya at all times...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I hear you!
Normally, I do feel the same about such intrusions.

Perhaps, this is a case where I am "blinded," to a degree, by being a "security mom." If I were driving solo, without kiddies in tow much of the time, perhaps I wouldn't be so pathological about this issue!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
So is this going to be required as a retrofit to vehicles otherwise incapable of this?
... for instance, my 88 Toyota 4Runner?
And who pays for it? Do I have to pay for this to keep my vehicle drivable?
I don't see that happening.

edit on 12/3/2010 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Don't panic just yet. The government is exploring the technology but there isn't a implementation program articlulated--from what I've gathered.

Thanks, abecederian, for making the point about older models...something to consider...if this ever comes to pass...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Ban those street advertisements and ban public radio.

And ban hot mamas with those hot pants and Daisey Dukes.

I also say ban those IDIOT lights on the dash and the speedometer.

Mine as well go all the way and just BAN DRIVING ALL TOGETHER ! ! !

Unless I am mistakin'...

I am a GROWN ADULT that can make rational decisions on my own in a RESPONSIBLE manner.

I cut the cord from my mother when I left the house to go try to survive in this world.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

Zaanny,

Yes, I wish there were more in this world like you and other responsible, like-minded humans.

Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Visit depressed Cali recently?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jontap

I agree with you totally. I was almost T boned by a guy who ran a red light talking away on a cell phone. Had I not sat at ny own green light just to take a second look I would probably be dead. It scared me so bad I came home and called the state senate to put in bill to ban it in our state. They said they were looking at texting but not talking.
I wish the government would do something about it. I don`t think the police could enforce it if it was law any ways its to prevalent.
I am tired of driving anymore being like the latest video game, dodge the people pulling out in front of you, going left of center, weaving in and out of traffic all the while texting and talking on their cellphones.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The solution is very simple!
I don't know of many hand held cell phone made today that does not operate with wireless bluetooth or an in vehicle system!
That's the solution, make that mandatory end of story.
I personally get really annoyed seeing the typical egoistic and " I can handle it" nutcases maneuvering in and out of busy city traffic, speeding along motorways with their head down messaging or the head tilted talking 90 degrees chatting away, or blatantly holding the phone to their ears with one hand and smoking or drinking with the other. I have had close encounters with such arrogant individuals many times

It is a total disrespect and ignorance towards other individuals, children especially but generally every other road user and includes pedestrians resulting in serious injuries and fatalities, world wide and without exception and it is totally unacceptable.
I use hands free one touch pick up and one touch voice dialing which is in the same as another poster mentioned, not much different as changing gear, using the indicator/windscreen wipers, switching a radio station or CD track, all to be done with caution of course and is dependent on "where" the device is located on the vehicle dashboard. In most vehicles sound systems and driving controls are of course situated where the driver will experience the least distraction while driving, logical right?

But total control being "enforced" in the manner this technology suggests is not a good option.
The next step will be prohibiting women to wear short skirts or other "distracting" garments near moving traffic because that can be even more distracting than making that, possibly really important call, for example, to explain to your boss why you are late to work and risking your job by not calling in on time, or talking to you wife and comforting her as she lays in labor in hospital and you are desperately trying to make it on time, to make sure all is ok with your daughter because she lost her door key and has to wait for you in a vulnerable and maybe dangerous environment. Maybe you just left for the airport and left you wallet, passport money, whatever, and somebody needs to contact you so you can return before traveling 200 miles in vain (we all know these situations).

I could go on but, apart from that, do you really believe all the "important people" or anybody for that matter who has come to rely on our fantastic communications technology will allow it to be "prohibited" just like that?
Law enforcement on the road... no cell phone, emergency services... no cell phone..., politicians, top business executives, Celebrities and you, average Joe or Jane... when your lost and need directions to get to you loved ones in an emergency...
Somebody else mentioned " we got on without cell phone in the 70's"
What a ridiculous statement! We got on without computes and the internet too right?

Would you be happy if TPTB just one day decided to put user restrictions similar to "parental controls" on your TV channels, or your internet connection because of issues like "security, virus, spam, ID fraud, propagation of the suicide directed at teenagers and vulnerable individuals, vulgar pedophiles lurking behind fake ID's and the enormous danger issues for young kids on social networking websites (no names mentioned but have been fata too) and all just because they have been abused "by some sick, dangerous idiots and arrogant people" ?????

I don't think so... There would be a revolt....

And something else, will they then build special parking facilities on all roads for all the cell phone users to just quickly "pull over" and make that call and then probably charge us a fee for the use as well?
If you do use a mobile phone and drive,
THEN USE A HANDS FREE KIT!! (but avoid too emotionally distracting or heated conversations for a face to face)
THAT LITTLE INVESTMENT COULD/WILL SAVE LIVES
And if you get caught using a hand held whilst driving THEN....
YOU SHOULD BE FINED THOUSANDS AND BANNED FROM DRIVING FOR A FEW MONTHS!
Get caught again loos your license third time round banned for .. years... people will lear, accept and adapt to a solid but sensible and reasonable policy. It' just common sense, nothing more.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamherefornow

I am tired of driving anymore being like the latest video game, dodge the people pulling out in front of you, going left of center, weaving in and out of traffic all the while texting and talking on their cellphones.

I feel for you, Iamhere...

Exactly the point of my post. It's constant insanity on the roads in many locations today.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
/sarcasm/
I hope they do this. Do you guys know how hard it is to make a signal jammer? If these come in cars, everyone will be just a couple of screws away from your own portable phone jammer. Think of all the crime that could be committed with this? Next time you are beating some cash out of a random person they will not be able to make calls for help, you are jamming that phone signal. Or better yet, add DIY amplified antenna and jam entire city blocks while you kill indescriminately. This will be a godsend to any and all domestic terrorists that need to jam the outgoing calls of the government victims they are so likely to be trying to terrorize.
/end_sarcasm/

This is a holy grail of hacker toys. A premade signal jammer...who wouldn't want this to play with?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by manalien

Manalien:

I wish the solution were as simple as making bluetooth, or some other hand-held devices/wires mandatory.

There is a law in my locale that essentially states that now, but it is not being enforced!

And as I mentioned earlier, perhaps I am a bit biased on this issue - - but some of the examples you are using are fallacious (i.e., slippery slope ). Banning short skirts is a bit of a stretch. There are, of course, many distractions while driving, but not to the extent of texting, surfing, taking pictures on cell phones while driving. I mean, where I live, even people walking around are glued to their phones/i-phones/androids/blackberries, etc. Gadget zombies, I say!

At least if you want to avoid intoxicated drivers, for example, you have certain dates/times in mind where -- if you are lucky/fortunate enough to do so - you can stay at home or work during those periods.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

These jammers have been out there for a looonnnggg time...this is something different; more technologically advanced; at least from what I've gleaned...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

Banning skirts a stretch? In many countries it is prohibited for women to sunbathe topless on the beach, even if they are alone! fact.
And as we know in some places on this planet women are committed (in some cases by force) to be completely hidden under robes called Burkhas and such like.
We are all sleepwalking into total submission and control from TPTB, but that's for another another thread.
The point is, the technology is available to jam cell signals within a short radius ie. inside a vehicle which can only be turned off allowing the use of the cell or GPS device if they are set to a wireless connection by being placed in a cradle which also provides a continuous power supply from the car battery and ensures a strong signal.
I know this because the organisation I work for train hardware and software design engineers who program and produce exactly these types of chips mobile devices. I'm talking Blue Chip organisations.

Simple as that.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

Could this technology be used by the police to disable peoples' phone, so that just as they pull you car over you then cannot use it to record evidence to be used against the police. Quite a few of the patrol car recordings go missing or are very hard to get a copy of even when requested through a court of law.

Or does it only effect the ability to place a phone call.
edit on 3-12-2010 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
I wouldn't think it would be too hard to do seeing as most newer cells have gps capability. All they would have to do is when the gps detects the phone going over say 20mph it shuts off calling features to everything but 911. Pretty good idea I think. Seeing as some people can't quite grasp the concept of not texting while driving.

This wouldn't really work.. sometimes your GPS location warps around or it gives the 'within 200m' circle. What if you were walking and your gps updates to somewhere 20 feet from you.. call dropped. That would suck.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
So if you're being carjacked, too bad. If you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and wrecked and can't move, too bad. I'm tired of people driving with cell phones as well, but if we're going to go Big Brother about it, putting breathalysers in every car on the road should be first in line.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join