It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man-Made Footprints on Other Worlds: (We are the aliens. Incredible photos!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Humans have scribbled "We were here" all over the solar system. From footprints on the moon to burnt-out landers on Titan, the visible records of our excursions past Earth are badges of pride — not to mention unique opportunities to do science.

One of the Mars exploration rovers looks back at where it's been

"Aside from just a curiosity, it allows us to know exactly where all the lunar samples came from relative to one another," said planetary scientist Jeff Plescia of the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab, who uses the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter spacecraft to look for human artifacts on the moon. But our tracks won't last forever. A new paper in the Journal of Geophysical Research traces how tracks left by the Mars rovers Spirit and Opportunity are wiped away by the wind, usually within a Martian year. "It's a little humbling," said planetary scientist Paul Geissler of the U.S. Geological Survey, lead author of the new paper. "Mars will just clean up after us, and wait for the next visitors."

Wind Wipes Opportunity Tracks

The rover's tracks are clear and sharp in the top image. But 22 Martian days later, they were completely obliterated, filled in with new soil blown in from somewhere else

There are others listed but you'll have to go to the source article-YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED! anon72
Source: www.wired.com...

No sense writing too much about this. The photos do the talking. Enjoy!!!

Like I said. At least for now, We humans are the Aliens-visiting other places in strange craft. Just wait till we start putting troops on the ground!

A true testiment to Humans/Man. To be able to leave this planet in search of things in Space. A dream since the beginning of mankind when they first looked up into the sky.

Looking at all of these pics and reading the side notes etc. Just amazing that we can even get there let alone get pics and stuff back from there. I think I like the Mars Rovers the best.

I wonder what photos/info was obtained that ISN'T being shared with us. Someone has a cool job at NASA-Keeping the secrets but seeing them all. Lucky basta..!

edit on 12/3/2010 by anon72 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
no, these aren't foot prints, this is a natural phenomena caused by the melting and refreezing of the permafrost, it creates a rippled effect, that just happens to look kinda like Astronaut boots.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by leira7
no, these aren't foot prints, this is a natural phenomena caused by the melting and refreezing of the permafrost, it creates a rippled effect, that just happens to look kinda like Astronaut boots.

Pretty sure they mean "placing their mark" and not literal human footprints. Like the Rovers wheels making tracks along the surface is a symbol of our presence.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
of course they are not "footprints". They are the tracks left behind the rover. The OP's thread is meant to show how quickly and easily any traces of our presence is quickly wiped away.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by FermiFlux

oh right, how stupid of me.
Yeah, I wish we really could put some more tracks on the moon, and visit mars.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by leira7

We, humans-not US, will be soon. With Russia, China, India, Japan England, Germany, France etc all trying to get there. Just a matter of time.

Then, you'll see some shaking up. Hopefully it will be a news reports that all these other countries found a huge USA base on the Dark Side of the Moon. Then we'll follow up with a video shot of our base that we just completed on Mars. hehehe.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

Humans have scribbled "We were here" all over the solar system. From footprints on the moon to burnt-out landers on Titan, the visible records of our excursions past Earth are badges of pride — not to mention unique opportunities to do science.

Others may say we are littering the solar system, just like we do our own planet.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

Theres always that aspect of a topic.

Half empty glass, half full.

One thing for sure, we are a long way off from being anything like Star Trek.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

I would have to ask what would differentiate littering and exploring?

Should we restrict ourselves to only visiting if we're capable of leaving without a trace?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

Some may say, I would argue, that us landing there is an Improvement and NOT littering or exploiting.

Since we don't know for sure if the Human race is the 1st to inhabit the universe-with the capacity to travel into Space that us getting to these places is a feat in itself. Whatever does make it there (to a far off Space place) would become history icons etc. No Litter or exploiting.

If we aren't the 1st and there are races out there moving around-our left evidence will be signs to them that they aren't the only ones here- and we'll go from there (hopefully in a positive direction and not alien domination...)
edit on 12/6/2010 by anon72 because: error correction

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The universe doesn't seem to have a problem bombarding us with tons of rock every day, even occasionally throwing something big enough to cause mass extinctions.

I think we're entitled to throw something of our own across the solar system every once in a while

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Can't believe you lot and we expect to get any further ahead?

Look at the Wind Wipes Opportunity Tracks photos?
The number has been wiped off completely!!! How on earth will they explain how that's disapeared?
Its either photoshopping
Sent it back foir a change or there's 2 up there. S&F

The number on the actual vehicle that is "in" the photo.
edit on 6-12-2010 by jazz10 because: add

new topics

top topics

join