It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas Spirit? Anyone notice this?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
What op misses is that christmas day is a unique day and there is a reason for it with regards to teh sun. It is well known, but the day is the only day of the year this happens. So it is in fact unique.

Op needs to research what christmas day is and why is it special, as it really is teh most important day for all of us on earth, as we share this planet together. Does not matter what religion you are, christmas day is in factual terms the most important.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Merry Christ-mass to all the gnostics & pagans.. and why not Christians too. And everyone else.

Makes me wonder.. why can't we keep up that Christmas spirit all the time? What stops you?
edit on 3/12/2010 by Tryptych because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Just imagine running downstairs on christmas morning, feeling all excited, then suddenly realising your a jew...................... bad times

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I am going to quote the words of a favorite Christmas song:

"Don't save it all for Christmas Day,
Find a way
To give a little love every day.
Don't save it all for Christmas Day,
'Cause Holidays have come and gone,
But love lives on,
If you give on."

I believe the song was co-written by Celine Dion but my favorite cover of it is by the band Avalon.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I am 32 and I still do believe in Santa (Father Christmas) whatever you want to call him / it.

Santa as was the old god of winter. would give his life to be born again - Holly King vs Oak King. The blood on the snow hence the reason he is shown in Red and White.

Essentially the gift that is given by Santa (Saturnalia) is the gift of life. the sun returning to the earth the return of Warmth and joy, the start of the retreat of the ice on the land (read in our hearts)

SO. When Santa does come to town, the gift of warmth and joy and the melting of the ice. i.e. love is shown in every act of love, compassion and generosity of spirit IS the personification bourne by everyone, and therefore when these act are carried out in it's name, become the personification of the same. sympathetic magic in action.

So when I give my family gifts that I have thought about. I AM Santa, because the gift I recognise has been given to me, and I pass it on, in his honour.

Of course the story of Santa and the reindeer is designed to make it magical. at a time when children are not mature enough to appreciate the magic that is the return of the sun king, in his true form.

Welcome to the true pagan yule!

I'll be having a few on the 21st for sure

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

Well, I'm from Finland, so I'll tell him you said hi

Did you know that (originally) he used to be a goat. "Joulupukki" (Finnish for Santa Claus) means literally "Christmas goat". Joulu means Christmas and pukki means "goat".

Although he lives in Lapland (north), In Korvatunturi (it's an actual place), and I live in the southern parts, so that's that.

I think that Santa uses e-mail nowadays. Post him your gift lists.
edit on 3/12/2010 by Tryptych because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
When my son was in the eigth grade and could not afford to buy gifts so he gave his little brother, who was struggling in school, fifteen minutes of help each night with is homework. I was surprised he came up with that. He followed through on it and it really turned his little brother's school life around.

Having his big brother help him with his homework was way more interesting and fun than having me or dad do it. He adored his older brother at that age. That time together bonded them and it continues giving to this day. They are both in college; one undergraduate and the other graduate and they go out of their way to be together.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Tryptych

That really is interesting, and I did not know that, so thank you. What is the betting that the Finnish Christmas goat was "sacrificed" for the festival? I think certain

Blood on the snow. Red and White

Gift of life to bring joy to those around.

It all makes sense.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
reply to post by Tryptych

That really is interesting, and I did not know that, so thank you. What is the betting that the Finnish Christmas goat was "sacrificed" for the festival? I think certain

Blood on the snow. Red and White

Gift of life to bring joy to those around.

It all makes sense.

Well, haven't you seen those old "goats" made out of hey? Anyway, I'd bet that some form of Christmas was celebrated here WAY before Christianity got here.. It's interesting how (f.e.) the Japanese think that "Santa" is from Finland.

I'm gonna have my modern X-mass right here with Jimi Hendrix right now

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I lost my job a month ago and no one is hiring. I have no car, I'm in a town of 1700. Most is poverty level here but I have a few good job hopefuls which is good enough for me. I'm not on unemployment, I did just pay up 2 months of rent in advance (rent is 300 a month for my 2 bdrm apt I share with my 16 yo son).

My thoughts and prayers are going to those 25 million who are losing their unemployment benefits as the holidays and Winter start. How awful and horrifying. If I had a trillion dollars, rest assured each family would be getting 100k from me. Each single person trying to make it would too. If I ended up with 100k once all was said and done, I'd find a way to help with that left over as well.

Everyone, try to do what you can. If you can even afford to drop off old clothing, some cans of food etc to your local food pantry, PLEASE do so. Most are running bare and really, you never know when you'll be needing of those aids too. Don't ever think your job is secure or if you lose it you'll find work in a week or so. That isn't the case. Once upon a time it was. Not anymore. One can go from having everything Dec 1st to having a street corner or box in an alley way to call their home by Feb 1st. In a heartbeat. In a breath. You never know what upper management/owners are deciding behind closed doors and you could go to work tomorrow, punch in and be leaving home unemployed 10 minutes later. It happens to the best of us. You could get very ill. Or injured and be out of work. Savings can and will dry up within 6 months if you were lucky and smart to save that much. But please, do what you can now to help those less fortunate. Even a single can of beans adds up. Even an old nasty blanket in your eyes is warmth to a homeless child or family in a house with no heat/electricity.

People have lost their unemployment checks this week. 800,000 people now have no hope in a cruel country which states, 'You can find work so go do it" What do you think they've been doing, the majority of those not working? You WANT to find work when you are losing everything you have. Trust me on that. In 2 more weeks, most of the 25 million who are getting unemployment benefits will have nothing any more. Nothing. What about the rest of us NOT getting unemployment and are under the radar? The govt guesstimates that number rises from the known 25 million to a more accurate 48 million. 1 in 7 Americans have no jobs. 1 in 7. How many people are in your family? Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, cousins, mom, dad, brothers, sisters. 1 in 7. Jobless and losing hope.

Those people in that nice house across the street from you, the husband, wife and their 4 year old son. It's a beautiful home, yes? Nice manicured lawns. Beautiful house all around. How about the inside? Are their cupboards bare? Do they have no furniture anymore with just air beds if they're lucky? Are they looking at their bankbook with their last 300 dollars in it, wondering how they're going to survive once that too is gone? They've already sold all they own inside to live a few more months, and now looking into selling their home. Of course, if they sell the home now, IF they can even sell it, they'd be getting 80 percent less for it than what they paid for it.

How about your happy neighbor next door who is always smiling at everyone and asking how you're all doing. He's sitting there right now in his kitchen, about to open up that last of 2 cans of chef boyardee... but somehow he hears about the plight of the neighbors across the way and walks over and gives them his cans. The little one has to eat, after all.

Point is, you never know from a person's face or clothing or home how they're really doing behind closed doors.
Do what you can for people. And don't let it last just for the Holiday time. This has to become something we do constantly. If we don't start helping each other out, how are we going to survive if we keep worrying about numero uno?

A lot of people will have no Christmas/Hannakah this year.
But a loving gesture will and does bring a smile and hope.
What loving gesture will you make?
This doesn't have to start and end with the Holidays either, mind you. We shouldn't need one week out of the year to do this for others. I also think we should make friends with our neighbors, you know? Don't wait til the SHTF. Do it now. You never know when you may have to share food with a neighbor; theirs or your own.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I've had help along the way and now its my turn to help.
I always pay for the car behind me when I go through the drive-thru. Then I speed away. My mother taught me this and I teach it to my kids.

I never know how much the other car order will be until I reach the window but I've always managed to cover it. Some people honk, some wave, smile, look confused, and one lady followed me to Target hopped out of her car and hugged me... which was a little weird.

Good to live by...
"Give without expecting anything in return" Year round not just during the Holidays.

edit on 3-12-2010 by Bachrk because: spelling

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Oh lord, sometimes im so dumb, i was gonna ask why american say 'happy holidays' and not 'merry christmas' and then i realised the american words are a more correct definition, ie vacation, English is holiday, vacation means to leave, and as for happy holidays, could holiday have come from Holy day, sorry people im having a stupid day. Back of the class for you m'girl.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Hi,

I'm firmly entrenched in the Bah-Humbug camp over the religious christmas seemingly forced upon all of us by our culture.

But, to be more specific to your Post...

I think the concept of "Pay it Forward" is starting to show more and more in the world of late. It is still very rare that while in dire straits you can meet a person with the means to assist you at that moment. And even more rare that people who are in such a position to help actually do assist.

I think these few are shining brightly for others to learn from. You don't have to be wealthy to pay it forward, you only need to take the opportunity to assist a fellow human being when the opportunity arises on your path. And if it is accepted without strings, then that person will go on to provide assistance to others when the opportunity arises for them to do so.

And yet I have met many do-gooders who purposely seek out any opportunity to assist others.. which really isn't about paying if forward but moreso about gaining Kudos for the self., to make themselves feel better. Better then to accept opportunities that arise in the moment than to seek them out purposely I feel.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

Yo

Yes holiday, does mean holy day. So i guess that is very politically correct.

The sooner you all realise it is a pagan festival and cal,l it Yule the better!!

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I think everyones additions are great to the thread.

I can totally relate to the bahumbuggers

But having children in the picture, and them being given so many ideas of what Christmas is to be, I have to try to find ways to meet them in the middle ground.

Isnt any day, what we make of it? Isnt what we make of it, partly attitude? A frown and a smile can make all the difference?

Debating if I should do the santa visit in town with the 4 your old tomorrow or not. Its so confussing sometimes of what to do. I love to see him smile, and santa makes all kids smile. We are a strange culture.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Great stories! Some of you may be interested in a thread I started last month: Nine gifts you can give for free. It is actually many more than nine. I started with non material gifts and added some homemade and coupon ideas.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

May the spirit of Christmas be with us all!

Edit to add: this link lists things you can do to help homeless Including Vets and kids.
[www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 4-12-2010 by LAinhabitant because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join