It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow and UK weather chaos – live feed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Snow and UK weather chaos – live feed

www.guardian.co.uk

Alexandra Topping and Peter Walker with all the latest weather news from around the country as freezing temperatures continue
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Just so we have no more posts on the current weather situation in the uk (Because every time i see a new thread it depresses me) This is A LIVE FEED of all the new things going on in the Uk, Plus it saves poeple rummaging around for news articles abouts dead pensioners buried in snow, Btw the weather is BAD and i really mean it , Theres just snow everywhere! *bursts out in tears*

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Thanks for this link! I have been thinking about you guys. It must be awful to have this kind of weather when you are not prepared for it. How deep do you bury your pipes over there?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by GirlGenius

I have no idea how deep they are
But then again i could just give the answer "Not deep enough" because neither my hot or cold tap work at the moment

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Depends what kind of pipes they are.
Water pipes are about 1m below ground but regs say they can be 750mm below the surface.

Its not as bad as everyone is making out...im from essex uk...and its just a bit of snow, nothing major. We have about 2-3 inches at most.
The temp has actually gone up in the last few days. I really dont understand what all the fuss is about to be honest. Anyone would think we had 10ft of snow all over the country....which we dont.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

You live in the town, me live middle of nowhere, no ploughs, no insulated water pipes, no mail, no transport and no supermarkets round the corner

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This weather was forecast ! really a little preparation for such weather would make the situation a lot easier.

What will you do if it gets worse as "forecast" ?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by linkshot1000

Cry....

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I've been out delivering since half eight this morning I have to say it's been fine here outside Liverpool. We seem to have lucked out, although my area manager said this morning it was minus ten?!!! Not too sure if I believe that.

Anyway take it easy on the roads, get some weight in the back to stop it skidding out, and a shovel if you have one. I got a foldable combat army shovel/ pick axe combo for about 6 pounds and it's the business! Don't go anywhere you don't have to!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by GirlGenius

How deep do you bury your pipes over there?

Sorry, but this made me giggle!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by KatieVA

To be honest it took me by surprise, i dont think many poeple if anyone knows the exact depth of buried pipes in britain

....And i know what you were thinking, you dirty person!

edit on 3/12/10 by TedHodgson because: spelling

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I'm quite enjoying the snow. I even went today and took some photos.

[img]

Peace
edit on 3-12-2010 by Beyond Creation because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
It makes me a little angry when I see mindless types questioning the ability of others to get about and stating there's only "a couple inches of snow". Well yeah, maybe where they are, but others have had considerably more. I have a disabled colleague snowed in up North in Nottinghamshire and from the pictures she sent me - car with about 1 1/2 feet of snow on roof and just a bit of rear bumper showing - she is not going to be able to get anywhere any time soon.
In fact, when I was speaking with colleagues around Munich on wednesday evening, they too were struggling, and they get to experience it a lot more than we do!

I'm lucky, in that I have fast broadband and a VPN connection into the corporate network, so don't have to be at the office to work. However, many other people do need to get to work and have no option to work from home, due either to their actual job function or lack of infrastructure to allow them to do so. I am quite sure though that more flexible working hours for many, along with more home working, would lessen the impact to industry and ease the traffic and public transport problems we see each year. As I said in another thread though, it does make me chuckle seeing old film of steam locomotives with snow ploughs attached coping with very heavy snowfall and freezing temperatures. Todays modern high-tech rolling stock and signalling systems just don't seem to be able to cope at all outside of a narrow temperature range. That's progress?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Pipes have burst outside my house, the water guys were there last night digging a 3 foot hole, i was a good citizen and fed them copious amounts of coffee. The really weird thing about this weather, is that down here in South Wales its like being in an alternate reality, we've barely had a centremetre of snow since the weather started, and its actually raining now, its dead weird and crazy to watch the weather in the rest of the country.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

I saw that band of rain moving in from the west on the weather maps earlier. I can't help thinking though that unless the temperatures lift considerably, it could well dump a lot more snow in some areas rather than fall as rain.
Planning on being up and out at first light for some more frosty photography though.... weather permitting!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Enjoy the photography... I tried to get some of the swirling steam coming off the River Ouse as the steam lapped up against the Cargo ships in port.... Amazing to watch it roll out to sea.. tho I have to admit I was in the pub at the time taking my partners 18 yo for his first legal pint which added to the enjoyment

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Ouch! Feeling for you guys with frozen/busted pipes. Leave a tiny trickle and they won't freeze under most conditions. We put hay bales around the back of the house and have a little electric space heater we deploy under the house in the crawl space that targets the pipes. Last winter was the first time our pipes froze here (since we have been here - 8 years) so we have been trying to protect them a bit better.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

I laughed this morning, why are we so rubbish in this country when it comes to snow, i was watching bbcbreakfast about half seven, and they were interviewing the transport minister, and well, apparantly we dont have all our salt yet, it stuck on boats being shipped here. I remember last year the shops where i am were rationing cat litter. Its nuts this country sometimes, but you gotta love it, least if you fall on ice and break you arm youve got the NHS to patch you up.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Well, I live in the sticks too and temperature last night (Thursday) was -12 degrees Celcius (apparently). We still have water. I think your problem may be in your house. The depth of mains water is not a problem as we would have to have very prolonged freezing temperatures for the earth to freeze below 750mm.

I think 21st century man is completely unable to cope with anything that deviates from their perception of "normal". While a bit of snow is inconvenient it has to be put in context.

Regards

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Aye your right there, our house still has un-insulated lead piping everywhere, Dont worry its been tested were not dying from lead poisoning yet

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join