It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yessmoke.com v. Phillip Morris: Hidden bomb cartons playing on terror fears?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Phillip Morris is suing yessmoke.com, a swiss-based bonded warehouse which sells cigarettes online. Yessmoke sells european and american cigarettes on the internet, and apparently Phillip Morris does not want EU manufactured cigarettes sold in the US, despite the fact that EU cigarettes of the same brand (eg, Marlboros) are made with 30% less nitrosamines, a carcinogenic tobacco additive.

The story is long and basically involves the usual strong-arm tactics employed by a big fish against a small one. BUT check this out- apparently Phillip Morris sent in one of their usual shipments to Yessmoke three cartons of cigarettes, hidden at random, containing not cigarettes, but circutry designed to look like a bomb. It seems that PM was hoping these cartons would find their way into one of Yessmoke's american shipments, setting off a customs alert and thus making customs more vigiliant against Yessmoke packages crossing US borders.

The Device

Were they transmitters disguised as fake bombs, or fake bombs disguised as transmitters, those three strange devices found in August in 3 cartons of PM production destined to Yesmoke? The police returned them to Yesmoke: � they are not transmitters, they are not bombs�. Yesmoke, to be absolutely sure, had them analysed. A collection of radio parts and wires. The only thing that seemed certain, by direct admission, was that they came from PM, that is, the devices were PM property.

The full story can be found on yessmoke's site: www.yessmoke.com...

If this is true, PM deliberately chose to waste US taxpayer's resources and cynically use the "war on terror" for it's own petty corporate warfare. Truly a new low. Or maybe not... can't wait to see what the courts find.

-koji K.

[edit on 2-7-2004 by koji_K]

[edit on 3-7-2004 by koji_K]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I have ordered cigarettes from yessmoke.com. What Phllip Morris is doing is totally absurd. They should be angry with the state governments for putting such a high tax on their cigarettes, instead of going after another company. I am a smoker, and with yessmoke, I save literally hundreds of dollars a year.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
i don't want to turn this thread into an adverstisement for yessmoke, but i also use them, and not only do i save money, but also (very very slightly, i admit) some part of my health, as i order EU marlboros instead of the US ones. (also, i prefer the taste.)

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
i don't want to turn this thread into an adverstisement for yessmoke, but i also use them, and not only do i save money, but also (very very slightly, i admit) some part of my health, as i order EU marlboros instead of the US ones. (also, i prefer the taste.)

-koji K.

I lived in the UK for awhile and my Brit friends tell me they prefer the American Cigarettes better. I don't smoke, but I am just adding my 2 cents.

I have a hard time believing that PM would try to plant "bombs" in shipments to put pressure on Yessmoke.com. It all seems a little awkward to me.

It says, "the devices were PM property." Did PM have there seal of approval on the bomb devices?

Oh well.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Now am I to believe this is not illegal? (sending a fake bomb).

If I as a private citizen sent such a device, fake or not to anyone I can only imagine I would find out exactly what the patriot act is for. Since Phillip Morris is a US company I canot believe they would escape trouble with US customs.

Just seems odd no major network picked up on this as smoking is now as bad and murder in the US.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I work for a substence abuse prevention research center in FL - after the budget cuts for tobacco, we've become more diverse, but prior to that (about 6 months ago, or more) that's all we were - handeling the contracts and grants for anti-smoking coalitions lead by teenagers...

I've seen PM do a lot of low and dirty acts...like paying popular and trendy college students to set the vibe out for attracting new smokers at bars and night clubs. Or by creating promotion for the harmful effects of youths smoking while still targeting their population.

I believe PM has no moral standards and I would not put anything past their capabilities...

MBF

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Yessmoke sells european and american cigarettes on the internet, and apparently Phillip Morris does not want EU manufactured cigarettes sold in the US, despite the fact that EU cigarettes of the same brand (eg, Marlboros) are made with 30% less nitrosamines, a carcinogenic tobacco additive.

Nitrosamines are NOT additives to cigarettes. They occur naturally on tobacco and were a by product of the curing process until we had to change our curing system a few years ago. Ever had a grilled steak or hamburger? They are loaded with nitrosamines.

[edit on 2-7-2004 by MBF]

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by WarBUCKs
I have a hard time believing that PM would try to plant "bombs" in shipments to put pressure on Yessmoke.com. It all seems a little awkward to me.

Seriously, why would PM care who sells its cigarets? Secondly, why would they put thier companies reputation and money at risk for such a asinine scheme. They make more money selling cigarettes overseas than they do in the US anyway. I doubt that they care.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Maybe it's a message...smoking kills

Yeah....not funny - maybe some disgruntled employee decided he wanted to get his boss fired in some covert way - No doubt a slew of people los their jobs for this slip up, even if it was a fake, it made someone look like a fool

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Discount Cigarettes Shop | Camel $12.30 | Cheap Cigarettes Online

www.best-cigarettes-online.com...

Welcome to cigarettes store. Discount Cheap Marlboro $12.40. Buy online discount cheap duty free cigarettes at our store. Cigarettes at discount prices.

Order Cigarettes. Cheap Ciarettes
BEST Cigarettes ONLINE
Cheapest cigarettes in the world!
Discount Cigarettes
Exclusive Cigarettes store
Duty Free cigarettes

discount, cheap, cheapest, discount cigarettes, cigarettes, cheap cigarettes, cigarettes at a discount, discount cigarette, cigarette, cigarettes at discount prices, discount cigarette prices, cigarette prices, online cigarettes, tobacco shop, cigars, cigs, tobacco, tobacco product, duty free, no tax, duty free cigarette, davidoff cigarettes magnum, camel, marlboro, kent, bond, salem, winston, virginia, dunhill

join