It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

List of U.S. Senators who voted for S 510 Food Safety Act

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Hello ATS!

As most here understand the underhanded possibilities the Food Safety Act imposes I won't go into those deails. We all know too that that bill passes through the Senate and was approved by them.

An article on naturalnews.com, a health food website opposed to ths bill gives us some insight into the nature of the bill, and WHICH SENATOR VOTED FOR IT !

So, for those interesred in reading up on this link to the article over at naturalnews.com

Otherwise, Here's the list of US Senators who voted to approve final passage of S.510. Remember these names when the next election comes around:

Akaka (D-HI)
Alexander (R-TN)
Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Begich (D-AK)
Bennet (D-CO)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Boxer (D-CA)
Brown (D-OH)
Brown (R-MA)
Burr (R-NC)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Cardin (D-MD)
Carper (D-DE)
Casey (D-PA)
Collins (R-ME)
Conrad (D-ND)
Coons (D-DE)
Dodd (D-CT)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Durbin (D-IL)
Enzi (R-WY)
Feingold (D-WI)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Franken (D-MN)
Gillibrand (D-NY)
Grassley (R-IA)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hagan (D-NC)
Harkin (D-IA)
Inouye (D-HI)
Johanns (R-NE)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kirk (R-IL)
Klobuchar (D-MN)
Kohl (D-WI)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
LeMieux (R-FL)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (ID-CT)
Lincoln (D-AR)
Lugar (R-IN)
Manchin (D-WV)
McCaskill (D-MO)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Merkley (D-OR)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Murray (D-WA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nelson (D-NE)
Pryor (D-AR)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Sanders (I-VT)
Schumer (D-NY)
Shaheen (D-NH)
Snowe (R-ME)
Specter (D-PA)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Tester (D-MT)
Udall (D-CO)
Udall (D-NM)
Vitter (R-LA)
Voinovich (R-OH)
Warner (D-VA)
Webb (D-VA)
Whitehouse (D-RI)
Wyden (D-OR)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

As most here understand the underhanded possibilities the Food Safety Act imposes

Actually I understand the underhanded goings on permitted without some protection of our food supply and the dire NEED for the Food Safety Act.

Were you nodding off during the recalls of everything from beef, to spinach, to baby formula?
And the pet food?

Notice the clear lack of Republican support?
Because the GOP is standing arm in arm (or hand in pocket) with the Corporate Giants who are taking cheap, easy, and dangerous liberties with our foodstuffs.(ie buying cheap bulk ingredients from China (protein fillers) later found to be toxic and not even food.)

In the process,killing our pets and risking health and safety of the individual citizenry.

And they spin it so they appear to be protecting the farmers! A wicked, misleading deception.
People are smarter now. We know how the "suck up to Corporate butt" tricks are performed by the GOP.
As long as the mega giant companies pay their kickbacks (dues) the GOP guarantees them all...
"WE (at least) WILL LOOK THE OTHER WAY." so do your worst. And they do.

DISGUSTING.
This makes it pretty clear the GOP chooses corporate interest over human.

Thanks for this. I don't like poison in my food supply either.
These are a group of great men and women.
My only complaint is that it didn't come sooner.

This is a quote from your politically "infected" link...

If signed into law, it would unleash a new era of FDA tyranny over farmers, food producers and even small family farms, many of which already exceed the "small farms exclusion" written into the bill.

So call controlling which pesticides are allowed in our food supply tyranny?
That is rich.
www.nowpublic.com...

Abbott has issued a voluntary recall of about five million Similac-brand powder infant formulas that were sold in the United States, Guam, Puerto Rico and some Caribbean countries. Similac Recall Abbott Labs recalls Similac baby formula see larger video sourced by Amy Judd The recall is being issued due to the fact that they may contain the presence of a 'small common beetle' and while the Food and Drug Administration has determined that the formula poses no immediate health threat, infants could experience some gastrointestinal discomfort and could lower their appetite due to this stomach pain.

www.accessdata.fda.gov...

This list includes products subject to recall in the United States since February 2010 related to hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP) paste and powder distributed by Basic Food Flavors, Inc.
www.fda.gov...

# November 30, 2010 - Frontier Natural Products Co-op Initiates Voluntary Recall Due to Possible Health Risk from Nutmeg12 # November 29, 2010 - McCormick & Company Recalls Golden Dipt® Fry Easy All-Purpose Batter Due To Unlabeled Egg Ingredient13 # November 29, 2010 - Recall of Mylanta and Alternagel Liquid Products14 # November 24, 2010 - Bravo Farms announces cheese recall, some products sold under Whole Foods Market label in 5 Western states15 # November 24, 2010 - WalkMed Infusion Issues Nationwide Recall of Triton Pole Mount Infusion Pumps16 # November 24, 2010 - Recall of Tylenol Cold Liquid Products17 # November 23, 2010 - Artisan Confections Recalls Dagoba new moon™ Rich Dark Chocolate 74% Cacao 0.32-Ounce Squares Due to Possible Health Risk18 # November 23, 2010 - Bravo Farms Cheese Recall19 # November 23, 2010 - Advanced Bionics Announces Voluntary Recall Of The Hires 90k Cochlear Implant20 # November 22, 2010 - Krunchers! Inc. Recalls 18 Cases Of Jays Original Potato Chips Because Of Undeclared Milk Allergen21 # November 17, 2010 - Del Bueno Recalls Cheese Because Of Possible Health Risk22 # November 15, 2010 - Recall of Children's BENADRYL® Allergy FASTMELT® Tablets and Junior Strength MOTRIN® Caplets23 # November 15, 2010 - Recall of ROLAIDS® Extra Strength Softchews24 # November 13, 2010 - Liz Lovely Issues Voluntary Recall on Products Containing Chocolate Due to Undeclared Dairy from Chocolate Supplier25 # November 12, 2010 - S&M (U.S.A) Enterprise Corp Issues Alert on Undeclared Sulfites in Grow Grove Notes Brand Dried Taro26 # November 11, 2010 - Gorgonzola Cheese Sold at Costco Recalled Due to Contamination With E.coli O157:H727 # November 10, 2010 - DPI Specialty Foods Recalls Mauri Brand Gorgonzola Because of Possible Health Risk28 # November 09, 2010 - Cal-Maine Foods. Inc. Updates Voluntary Egg Recalls Information29 # November 08, 2010 - Voluntary Recall of Bravo Farms Dutch Style Gouda Cheese Due to Health Risk30 # November 08, 2010 - Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Peanuts in Mislabeled Fresh & Easy Ginger Spice Cookie Dough 16OZ
www.huffingtonpost.com...

The Latest In Food Recalls: Bison Meat, Chicken Of The Sea Tuna

www.helium.com...

Almost immediately on the heels of the Campbell Soup Company of SpaghettiOs, ConAgra Foods has recalled a version of their popular Marie Callender's frozen dinners. ConAgra Foods, an Iowa based company, issued the voluntary recall of their single serve "Marie Callender's Cheesy Chicken and Rice White Meat Chicken and Broccoli over Rice Topped with Rich Cheddar Sauce," frozen dinner when a potential link was established between the meal and an outbreak of approximately 30 salmonella illnesses.

Public should have demanded this FOOD SAFETY ACT a lot sooner.

I would rather much of this never made it to market and with stricter safety standards maybe they won't.

I hope the Agency for Consumer Protection with regard to loans, mortgages and investments also comes to pass. I am sick of watching innocent people get screwed or harmed - meanwhile the guilty party is getting rich because of unethical shortcuts and deliberate shady dealings and inferior sub-standard products.
edit on 3-12-2010 by rusethorcain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Do YOU not know WHO puts the "man-made" disease INTO the food supply? It is the government!! Problem, reaction, solution. Seems to me you buy it hook, line and sinker. Or you are part of the problem. I will grow my own food for me and friends. The government has NO JURISDICTION that I do not give it. That's it. Very simple really. I buy local and grow my own. These policies mean nothing to me and those around me. I am not stupid and I do not buy into this BS.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

If the government would simply honestly prosecute criminals, I might buy into some of this legislation. Look at the financial industry, and all of the fraud by big wall street firms AND the SEC as an example. The federal government is already HUGE, and grossly incompetent and oppressive. Look at the TSA for example.
Bills are loaded with terms like "reasonable" and "acceptable practices" which they can determine to mean whatever they want. Like, for instance, any "reasonable" farmer would want to limit pesticides and should therefore buy GMO seed, and therefore, we will therefore mandate that.
You simply cannot trust the federal government, and regulatory bills should be left to the states. The feds are in bed with big corp, both Republicans and Democrats are guilty, so simply stop trusting them!!!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by daddio

Daddio, Not every issue in the food supply is government born. You'd have to be a dunce to believe that. The Food Safety Act (right now) is not a bad thing. It only applies to HUGE corporations that produce millions of pounds of food. That being said I'd rather that stuff be monitored and held to a standard. Ultimately I think your overreaction is producing the desired result for the welfare of the people that consume foods. People should be responsible for growing, maintaining and processing their own foods and these major food companies should go by the wayside. The unfortunate reality however is that these bills can be continuously usurped and modified. The Corporate food industry will fight hand over fist to see that their monopoly is realized.

Grow your own food, don't trust the food produced in mass and pay attention to what food you DO buy as a lot of products contain GMO based products as well. At a later time I'll post a site that lists NON GMO foods. By the way the Supreme Court just ruled the destruction of a Genetically modified farm.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
If the people knew what we had done, they would chase us down the street and lynch us." -- George HW Bush

try it... you might like it..lol.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddio

Do YOU not know WHO puts the "man-made" disease INTO the food supply? It is the government!! Problem, reaction, solution. Seems to me you buy it hook, line and sinker. Or you are part of the problem. I will grow my own food for me and friends. The government has NO JURISDICTION that I do not give it. That's it. Very simple really. I buy local and grow my own. These policies mean nothing to me and those around me. I am not stupid and I do not buy into this BS.

That is a lot of paranoid BS. If you said the CIA or some other sinister sub-group operating within the system like, Freemasons, Illuminati, or even some members of the GOP for example... I might have believed you.
This is a false perception promoted so you will tolerate insidious and invasive private "security" groups and tactics. They are preying on, manufacturing and depending on... your fear of your government. Throwing Hitler and Communism out at every turn.
Your government is (admittedly hard to fathom) of, by and for the people, which means technically you can change it when it goes against the wishes of the majority and as long as the Constitution is upheld. Convincing you you need another source of protection is how a para military group like Blackwater created a perceived need for their services. Since beginning operations, they have had to change their name.

The "government" is the fall guy. You are the fall guy. Don't be a brainwashed, panic stricken, baby chick. Growing your own. Big whoop. Too bad your water supply is contaminated by big oil and fracking so your food supply will load you up with toxins if your drinking water doesn't. Some of these conglomerates are bound to kill you one way or another. Sometimes I go so far as to think it is intentional...population control. But not by "the government" but by those nearby and influential.
Follow the money and find not only your culprit but the accomplices as well.

Everyone knows there is a shadow government "a plutocracy" operating within the confines of our democratic government so, who are you accusing? The government of, by and for the people, in place to protect and serve the people, or those Corporations that have certain government representatives at their disposal and indirectly wield power?
The government, or the corporate elitist operating within the government? Those who can get their own private tax laws and FDA rulings, that benefit only them passed neatly under the radar? Like Cheney and Rumsfeld?

This is why we have checks and balances.
This is why we have watchdog groups that work in the peoples interest.
Commonly called "liberals" these groups are effectively shouted down by militant crazies and far "right" ( a misnomer if ever there was one) "patriots" and end time survivalists.
And this is why the GOP war machine.... tries to dismantle every safety and protection people have, even our own Constitution, that either regulates or protects us FROM the diabolical workings and accidental careless, misdeeds of corporate America.
They are, almost without exception, a stain on humanity. Go underground already... is all I have to say to them.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

If YOU are not paranoid, you are not paying attention.
Look, I cannot believe that YOU believe all of that nonsense you wrote. Of, by and for the people? Yes, the people that make the rules but don't follow them.
You claim the "liberals" are trying to help us. How about bringing me some NAMES. Whom are you talking about? I keep up pretty good on what is going on, and let's just say I don't see it like you do. I see a lot of bureaucrats interested in control and self-preservation.
And you see "of, by and for the people":..

So, ruse, bring me those names.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

You might start by taking a look at the list kindly offered by the OP above.

Those are all people against poisons in our food.
I do not see anyone paying for them to decide this is important and vote that way.
Remember we are in the wake of a record number of recalls? Say you are paying attention so I guess you were out of the country all last year and most of this year to have missed those one after another so it didn't seem safe to eat meat patties, poultry, spinach, peanut butter and the list goes on...

And then there are those members of Congress who take action and get rebuked without any personal gain except the ability to sleep peacefully at night. Who do you suppose is paying Pelosi to get kicked around. You think she is in it for the money or wants some diabolical control over you? Don't make me laugh.

And yes, I think it is "our government" and if it has gotten away from us it is because we were not paying attention. We ARE paying close attention now and so you will see a steady and gradual change back our way.

People cannot function or act without accurate information in the place of hyperbole and deception.
You expect everyone to immediately buy into and fall for the hyperbole and deception but we know, this is how we got this far in a hole to begin with. You can't tell the players without a score card.

Oh yeah you can.
Follow the money.
How many times do you need political donations from oil companies added up for you?

As more and more truth comes out, as people become better and more accurately informed they will reclaim and seek out their essential part in governance.

We see what happens when we imagine it runs without us.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

If YOU are not paranoid, you are not paying attention.

Stewie dear, I am not paranoid because I know who my enemies are.
I do not think they are everyone or everywhere.
Sight. Focus. Shoot.
Not the reverse.

If you are paranoid, you have lost it.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Big corporations love this bill.

Let's look at who supports the bill. According to maplight.org, (sidenote: this site is straight-up awesome) huge corporations like General Mills, Kraft Foods North America, National Association of Manufacturers and 25 more organizations support this bill. In opposition: American Grassfed Association, Family Farm Defenders, Small Farms Conservancy 93 others in an open letter to address the Senate Bill S510.

The problem is with the big producers, so why would they want this bill? Maybe they realize it will eliminate the small growers?

On Govtrack.us, where you can read the bill in its entirety, an anonymous answer to the question of redundancy within the Food Science Experts that work for the FDA was quite clear in its support of knowing the land from which food grows: "Although one may try to argue that one incident is too many, it appears that the majority of the incidents actually occur in large producers who are "in it" for the money. To strangle the small farmer with regulations and taxations harms not just the industry, but the future of the next generation of farmers who would gain their skills of growing healthful food from this generation."

So, in reality, this is more redundant and burdensome regulations for small businesses that the federal government is hell-bent on destroying. The federal government has a long history of destroying small farms, and this is only the latest.

Family farmers are being forced out of business at an alarming rate. According to Farm Aid, every week 330 farmers leave their land. As a result, there are now nearly five million fewer farms in the U.S. than there were in the 1930's.

www.veenstrafoundation.org...

We have had big food producers that have had recalls, and have killed people. How have the feds. responded?

Evidence shows that the head of the Peanut Corp. of America wrote emails to “turn them loose” after employees reported salmonella in the products. He wrote that his workers “desperately at least need to turn the raw peanuts on our floor into money.” Still, federal prosecutors have not said whether or not Peanut Corp. of American executives will be facing charges. “I thought prosecutions were a no-brainer,” said Lou Tousignant, whose father died from salmonella poisoning after eating contaminated peanut butter. “It seems like it’s been forgotten. That’s kind of how the country ebbs and flows. It’s in the news for a while, then everything quiets down.”

GF “Pete” Peterman, the acting U.S. Attorney for the district including the peanut plant, did not comment to AJC reporters.

Text

www.mlnlaw.com...

Hmmm. Maybe the feds. just want easier targets, like the small farmer that cannot afford high-powered attorneys? Exactly.

new topics

top topics

join