It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What type of fish is this?Does anyone noe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I got this thru an email, saved it to my webhost.Can anyone tell me wad type of fish this is?it looks like a breed btw a fish and a squid

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Man that is one crazy squark? squid shark? excellent find hope someone has info on it.

[edit on 2-7-2004 by Leigon]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It's a "squish", yeah we used to catch them all the time..

Actually, it looks like someone did a little trimming with a
knife and stuck parts from two different animals together..

Pretty funky looking creature.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Looks fake to me, photoshopped or man-constructued.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I use photoshop everyday its my job, and if that fish is (though I HIGHLY doubt it) a photshop image, the creator is top notch. I think it is real. Not a super mystrious fish or unknown species, but a deep sea fish or just some kind of bottom feeder. I'm doing a search now I'll post the results. maybe some kind of spoon bill?

[edit on 2-7-2004 by Xayden]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I don't think it's photoshopped either.

I DO think it may be "butchershopped"
the snout really looks like the main body of a squid though.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Mayhaps....

The thing that is throwing me off are the saw like teeth on the "paddle snout"

Plus i pulled out some old pics of paddle fish aka spoon bill catfish , and it does not look the same. I'll keep looking.

[Edit] typos..grr

[edit on 2-7-2004 by Xayden]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
At first i thought it was photoshopped too...but after zooming in n trying to find flaws there's stil nutin tt shows its photoshopped..might be a real new breed of squidyfishies.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I'm 90% sure it isnt a new breed of fish..
It looks too hybrid to be real.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I think the "squidy" look is throwing you guys off, plenty of fish down here where i live have that slimey, translucient (spell?) skin. It is often seen on juvenille fish or bottom feeders. I agree with browha, its no new breed. its out there guys we'll find out what it is.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
It is absolutely real, it has been discussed in here before. It is a rat fish pup, a type of chimera. Means it has two different types of DNA.

www.oceans.gov.au...

No photshop needed

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Interesting...n thx for the link

n sorry for restarting an old topic, i just didnt noe how to search for a pic tt apparently had no name

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
woohoo! thanksZsandmann!

I knew that wasnt Photoshop.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Scientific name: Harriotta raleighana
Phylum: Chordata

Biologists have gone to great lengths to describe the long-nosed chimaera, whose kind can reach five feet in length. Its stiletto-like nose reminded one of "the nose contour of a supersonic jet aircraft." Others have dubbed it "rattail," for obvious reasons. In South Africa, it is known as the "ghost shark," though it is only distantly related to sharks. A touch of the venomous spine on the first dorsal fin can kill a person, though such a fate is unlikely given the 8,000-foot depths at which this creature lives.

deep..._sea1.tripod.com/deepseaecosystem/id8.html

Including its long, tapering snout and fins, this species is usually between 1 and 1.5m long. Its body is more elongate than the other chimaerids. Its snout is hard and resilient, and rich in sensory organs, being used to dig in soft muddy bottoms in search of shellfish and crustaceans that make up the bulk of its diet. Its skin is orange-brown in colour, paler beneath, and it has some irregular darker markings. It is commonly found in waters between 350 and 700m depth.

www.seafriends.org.nz...

Good link zsandmann!

[edit on 2-7-2004 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I believe you are correct PA, or at least in that family.

And it is hard to search for pictures if you dont know the name of it to begin with so dont feel bad cheesepie, thats what we are all here for.

[edit on 7/2/2004 by zsandmann]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   

A touch of the venomous spine on the first dorsal fin can kill a person, though such a fate is unlikely given the 8,000-foot depths at which this creature lives.

I won't be doing any serious deep sea exploration out there.

That is though one interesting looking fish.

[edit on 7/2/2004 by DJSpellBound]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
getting closer

This one has a longer nose:

Rhinochimaera atlantica

I still think "SQUISH" is a good name...LOL

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I showed it to my wife, the card-carrying wildlife biologist, and she immediately said, "It doesn't have two dorsal fins so it isn't a sawfish. It might be a juvenile Spiney Ray --Oh, it is probably a juvenile Ratfish. They have a dorsal spine like that."

Don't you just hate a know-it-all?
...at least I know she didn't waste that tuition!

new topics

top topics

join