It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia's $45,000,000 FIFA Soccer debacle.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I just heard on the radio our bid for the 2022 FIFA soccer world cup cost $45,000,000.Our politicians are insane take my state Queensland for example where I live is Brisbane the capital,for an A grade Rugby League match you will get crowds of 30,000 plus,for an A grade Rugby Union game you will get 20,000 plus,well the two top soccer teams in Queensland met the other night-there were 1700 spectators so had we won the bid our idiot Government would of spent hundreds of millions on stadiums and facilities which after the event is over would be lucky to attract a few thousand spectators,talk about a bread and circuses brainfart.

Next is the bid itself with the campaign add the stupid kangaroo,Paul Hogan makes an appearance dressed as a young biker but he himself is so old he just about needs a walking frame,well at least his tax problems seem to of been mysteriously resolved during the process,but really he's past his use by date,our Prime Minister also gets in the add.The we send the big guns in Elle Mc Pherson etc who'd know as much about soccer as I do about modelling,she might of got an extra vote or two if she'd gone topless,so after all this one vote went Australias way and we were eliminated in the first round all in all a debacle.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Circus !! My government is a side show act with monkeys running it !! This is a joke !! A pure wast of tax payers money wasted !! Hard times for everyone and 45 million dollars flushed down the crapper fully well knowing they had no chance for this event !! We have a failing health system no hospital beds under paid EMS employees no doctors increasing unemployment and so on... Time to wake up my friends these individuals running government are not working for the people

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Crikey, that cost more than staging the Olympics back in 2000!!!!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
This story was headlining the news on the wireless this morning and i was talking to myself about it ,thinking who gives a flying f## ,Talking about a boring soccer game in 2022,FFS ,what a waste of time and money,so happy that Quatar got it or else we would never here the end of it,worse than the hype when Sydney got the olympics.Havent these people ever heard that world ended in 2000 and will end again in 2012.Why are they making long term plans?
Thanks for posting so other people besides myself can here me rant.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I don't like saying negative things but in this case-

I saw the bid promo on the hellavision this morning before i left for work,

I was embarrassed...

45 mil,For that drivel?...

Tragic,(Triple Facepalm)

To the rest of the world...I am sorry you had to see that...

No really.

Violet.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Yeah the "film" was very embarrasing. Surely for 45mill you can animate a kangaroo a lil' better? Or how about just not have the kangaroo in it at all? Also, every emblem Australia use overseas always has a kangaroo in it.. give it a rest people! There's more to our country than a kangaroo.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I think the whole exercise yesterday 'performed' by Fifa actually did a good thing.......

It cemented in my mind that Fifa is a pointless and arrogant, somewhat dim-witted organisation so wound up and concerned by it's own pomposity and self appreciation that all common sense left on a jet plane many years ago....

Although I would have liked to see England win in 2018 I can sort of understand the mentality of 'spread the love' to the eastern block BUT the whole process, presentation by Fatts Blatter and all the vomit inducing thanks with added thanks and appreciation, no groveling to each other actually showed an embarrassing human display when the world is in a little bit of turmoil.....

FIFA - 'Fecking Idiots From All-over that's my FIFA......

Regards
PurpleDOG UK

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Not sure why they picked Qatar..

it is illegal to show alcohol or be drunk in public

During the month of Ramadan, eating, drinking, and smoking in public is strictly banned from dawn to sunset

sponsorship laws exist in Qatar. These laws have been widely described as akin to modern-day slavery

Alcohol is legal with a permit but it is not permitted to drink it in public

Islam is the predominant religion, as Muslims constitute 77.6% of the population

On February 24, 2010, Qatar and Iran signed a defense co-operation agreement in which the two countries stressed the need to expand their defense cooperation.[14]

Iran and Qatar will

* exchange specialized and technical committees
* expand cooperation in training
* conduct joint campaigns against terrorism and insecurity in the region

March 10, 2010. Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani has given his support to Iran’s right to nuclear technology

Qatar is a destination country for men and women from South and Southeast Asia who migrate willingly, but are subsequently trafficked into involuntary servitude as domestic workers and laborers, and, to a lesser extent, commercial sexual exploitation; the most common offence was forcing workers to accept worse contract terms than those under which they were recruited; other conditions include bonded labor, withholding of pay, restrictions on movement, arbitrary detention, and physical, mental, and sexual abuse.

en.wikipedia.org...

These are all from the wiki page. It will get tense there during the World Cup unless a lot changes.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by anglodemonicmatrix

$45 mil? No wonder we didn't get it.

Qatar I believe spent something around the $1 billion mark, bribery ain't cheap!

the two top soccer teams in Queensland met the other night-there were 1700 spectators

Sorry but that is a poor argument, the A league is rubbish and cannot be compared to International level soccer.

Next is the bid itself with the campaign add the stupid kangaroo,Paul Hogan makes an appearance dressed as a young biker but he himself is so old he just about needs a walking frame,well at least his tax problems seem to of been mysteriously resolved during the process,but really he's past his use by date,our Prime Minister also gets in the add.The we send the big guns in Elle Mc Pherson etc who'd know as much about soccer as I do about modelling,she might of got an extra vote or two if she'd gone topless,so after all this one vote went Australias way and we were eliminated in the first round all in all a debacle.

Can't argue with that, wtf was Gillard doing in it?!

May as well have had Kath and Kim doing it!

"Kangaroo, look at moi, look at moi!"

new topics

top topics

join