It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The chemistry of the world's oceans is changing at a rate not seen for 65 million years"-UN

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Nathan-D

Do you think it is just a coincidence that every other planet in our solar system is also undergoing changes then?

I suspect there is a larger influence outside of C02 emissions causing this.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Acidification of ocean waters is not because of BP. This has been happening for long before the BP disaster. I read about it a couple of years ago when I first came to ATS. Here is an interesting article from 2008 on the subject, it discusses that it was predicted to happen, only it is 100yrs early.

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Originally posted by rajaten

Me too, though I don't know how they can claim the changes are unprecedented in 65 million years since no-one was around to take measurements of the chemistry of the oceans millions of years ago, let alone hundreds of years ago. I would be interested to know what sort of paleoclimate data they are using. There is so much uncertainty in paleoclimate data and I usually view them with a skeptical-eye. In any case, the article you cited specifically states that CO2 is the cause:

The report, unveiled during the latest round of U.N. climate talks in Cancun, Mexico, says that around a quarter of the world's CO2 emissions are currently being absorbed by the oceans, where they are turned into carbonic acid.

Overall, pH levels in seas and oceans worldwide have fallen by an average of 30 percent since the Industrial Revolution. The report predicts that by the end of this century ocean acidity will have increased 150 percent, if emissions continue to rise at the current rate.

Do you think it is just a coincidence that every other planet in our solar system is also undergoing changes then?

Every planet was not warming pre-2007 (just five). But no, I do not think it is a coincidence.
edit on 3-12-2010 by Nathan-D because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

The UN is a corrupt institution and a perfect vehicle for the corrupt water melon "science" of climatology.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
We kive on a planet comprised of rock and water. The water is way younger than the rock so for millions of years the water has been eating away at the rock. This will at some point in the future add so much mineral content to the water that terra will not exist in the firma.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Climate scientists did predict this would happen. For all we know BP could have contributed (not just by burning fossil fuels) by spilling and cleaning the oil. But, the scientists said that this would happen as a result of greenhouse gas emissions.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
So the oceans are getting acidic huh,

Well i thought limestone neutralises acidity, and what is limestone ?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
We have over fished the world's oceans and now stocks are unable to replace themselves due to the loss of large breeding fish.
This looks like. yet another attempt to legislate behavior and institute more taxes even though they don't really know how much acidification is contributing to the depletion of oceanic fish stocks.
Coral reefs are dying for many reasons yet our tax-hungry governments and NGO environmental organizations are looking for more income opportunities that will neither fix the problem nor alleviate the suffering caused by it.
Here comes more taxes!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Does it have anything to do with the obama administration continuing to dump millions of gallons of corexit and other "dispersants" into the oceans, and then charging the taxpayer for it?

You will note that you don't hear a lot from the EPA or Greenpeace or PETA complaining about the poison barack's people are using to save his administration from the shame of allowing the BP disaster to happen.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
So let me understand this...

We just had a huge oil spill disaster in the gulf of Mexico.
We dumped TONNS of chemicals trying to contain it.
Corporations dump millions if not billions tonns of chemical waste into rivers, lakes and oceans.
Corporations sink radioactive and other chemical pollutants off the coast of Somalia that won't be accepted anywhere else because of their extreme toxicity.
And lots more.

And the UN is blaming it on CO2 emissions? Really?

It is very, VERY clear - if the environment was UN's clear concern (or IPCC's or any government agency's), then they would start tackling pollution head first. Corporations are given carte blanche on their pollutants, but we must curb CO2 emissions by returning everyone to the stone ages.

Brilliant!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I recently watched a David Attenborough documentary on the depletion of fish stock in our oceans. He asserted that given our rates of consumption alone, the entire ecosystem is reaching the point of collapse and the tipping point will be reached by 2015.

It seems to me that unfettered demand, and for many nations, a lack of viable alternative sources of protein, coupled with cultural and historical practices will lead us to an untennable position; either act collectively for the greater good (which we are terrible at doing) or contine our practices and wait for the melt down. The tragedy is we are not capable of such positive action on a global scale, we will argue, squabble and legislate our asses off to little or no effect. Acidification is just another nail in the coffin. We will continue to exploit our environment regardless ot the facts until there is little left and we are all eating Soylent Green....there's always a profit to be made somewhere...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
reply to post by Nathan-D

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT. ALSO, the gov't is preparing itself and has been for awhile now for the comming of this dissaster that will slowly creep up on us in 10 years. It has already began and i truly wonder what it is that the gov'ts all over are concerned about and you and i are not invited. WHATEVER IS GOING ON HERE, www.youtube.com... and www.youtube.com... the gov'ts along with other projects mentioned here on ATS LIKE: Georgia guidestones as a warning that something is going to happen, and Coffins being stored and moved to locations around the world like what it says about FEMA COFFINS. This is in all preparation for this to happen slowly in the next 10 years www.youtube.com... all because the gov't is afraid of--- i cannot get this website to work, maybe you can help me. go to youtube and punch in ( fire and ice: permafrost melt spews combustable methane). Alot of this stuff on here on A.T.S is related to these articles. In 10 years i hope humanity survives. Something big and i mean BIG is going to happen and all this stuff is related to what is about to happen. Check out, www.youtube.com... and all the other videos and check out the facts that are posted for you to look up. Also scientist are starting to come forth with the truth about what is going on here.
edit on 3-12-2010 by nite owl because: (no reason given)
video #2 www.youtube.com... video #3 www.youtube.com... and video #4 www.youtube.com... and #5 www.youtube.com... and the last video www.youtube.com... PEACE.
edit on 3-12-2010 by nite owl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BipolarSpaceMonkey

Quite right. China gets most of it's protein from seafood (as does Japan, Taiwan and many more nations).
The situation you describe is inevitable and will set off major conflicts or result in mass starvation for billions along the Pacific rim countries.
Nobody is even thinking about this time bomb yet.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
We have so many terrible things happening
to this planet,
And it just keeps getting worse.

There's no doubt in my mind that this is
being done intentionaly . It' evil pure and simple.
They are purposely destroying the earth. on and on it go'es.
and the end is truly and clearly in sight.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join