It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctic ozone hole smallest in 5 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — International efforts to phase out the use of chlorofluorocarbons and other ozone-depleting substances may be paying off, according to research revealed Friday by the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research in New Zealand.

The Antarctica ozone hole is the smallest it has been in the past five years, NIWA said.

While a one-year reduction in the ozone hole can’t indicate a recovery stage, NIWA’s atmospheric experts say the new information adds to a pattern of less severe ozone holes in recent years.

Hmm, a bit surprising to say the least.... compared to those 100 year projections.

I'm curious now, could this bring about a reversal change in the climate change we're suppose to see from our industrialization?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
don't believe anything they say about the ozone.

we have been conditioned to believe that the ozone is some magical shield

all it is, is basically air

there is upwards of a 40% difference in one day in ozone in any given local.

the entire ozone hole theory was imposed by the mass media when they were discovered so many years ago.

The MSM touted the holes as such a terrible thing, and we believed them.

(oh no, we found ozone holes over the poles...must be our fault for using hairspray)

/the holes have always been there, it's just wind that blows them around

to say they are smaller now based on one or two readings is just preposterous.

(the equipment used to measure them originally was called by NOAA to be "useless"

but we still all saw reference to it in every single sitcom and movie.

proof that there was a global warming agenda...even though we all now know that it was false.

To any one who knows, ozone is created when ultraviolet light strikes an oxygen molecule, O2, and turns it into O3

can't say there is any shortage of ultraviolet light...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Here in the southern hemisphere you really suffer the consecuences of the ozone hole, really. The % of people suffering of skin cancer is so big, and if you don't wear propper sunscreen, yous skin gets more damaged than in the northern hemisphere. This is one of those deals the people who don't live here don't take seriously, but believe me, the ozone layer is important.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Caggy
Here in the southern hemisphere you really suffer the consecuences of the ozone hole, really. The % of people suffering of skin cancer is so big, and if you don't wear propper sunscreen, yous skin gets more damaged than in the northern hemisphere. This is one of those deals the people who don't live here don't take seriously, but believe me, the ozone layer is important.

What?? Me and mates use to go swimming every day,no silly hats no sunscreen, nada ziltch..
Maybe you should look at what you are eating,drinking and breathing before blaming the sun..

I did read an interesting fact.
NO cancer cells were found in the DNA of ancient egyptians..
Now them dudes spent a LOT of time in the sun..

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I dare you to do the same in my country!

Last time I went to a swimming pool and didn't wear sunscreen I ended up looking like a lobster and I was just 2 hours at the sun... and just today, I was just walking on the street and my nose is red and hurts like mad...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

I dare you to do the same in my country!

Last time I went to a swimming pool and didn't wear sunscreen I ended up looking like a lobster and I was just 2 hours at the sun... and just today, I was just walking on the street and my nose is red and hurts like mad...

Yeah but that's only because you are not accustomed to the sun anymore..
I asure you, It wouldn't bother me..

But now doctors are saying cancer is increasing to to a lack of vitamen 'D"..
Guess what the best sorce of vitamin D is ?? The SUN..!!

But don't get me wrong..I don't mean like the old days when fools wanted a tan so they caked themselves in oil and stayed out till they cooked..
And different skin types are affected differently..

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
don't believe anything they say about the ozone.

we have been conditioned to believe that the ozone is some magical shield

all it is, is basically air

I dare you breath pure ozone if you stand by your belief.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kojack
www.msnbc.msn.com...

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — International efforts to phase out the use of chlorofluorocarbons and other ozone-depleting substances may be paying off, according to research revealed Friday by the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research in New Zealand.

The Antarctica ozone hole is the smallest it has been in the past five years, NIWA said.

While a one-year reduction in the ozone hole can’t indicate a recovery stage, NIWA’s atmospheric experts say the new information adds to a pattern of less severe ozone holes in recent years.

Well at least I'm not dying in vain. Whoopee. I guess a death by 'slowly drowning' (as my physician put it), is all worth while now. (sarcasm please note)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

What?? Me and mates use to go swimming every day,no silly hats no sunscreen, nada ziltch..
Maybe you should look at what you are eating,drinking and breathing before blaming the sun..

I did read an interesting fact.
NO cancer cells were found in the DNA of ancient egyptians..
Now them dudes spent a LOT of time in the sun..

Notice you say "use to", so that means you don't any more, why is this?

We used to do the same too, the more burnt you got and turmed brown the cooler you were amongst the surfing/beach crowd.
I can't go out without a hat and sunscreen now, 30 years later, get burnt within 1/2 hour.
Having less hair on top doesn't help.

This is all good news if its true, but the sun is still wickedly strong in New Zealand, more so than Australia.

top topics

join