It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Really not sure What to Title This...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Ok, I have refrained from posting this for quite awhile now, but Im being told to put it out there from that little voice we all have in our heads. Bizarre as it may sound it is the truth and Im wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I had to be about 7 or 8 when this happened. I was a big tomboy when I was younger and quite the avid swimmer.

If any of you recall, there is a game you can play in the pool called "The Tea Party." It requires you sitting with a friend on the bottom of the pool, pouring imaginary tea, and holding your breath as long as possible while doing it.

Well, one day while playing this game, to make a long story short, my friend ran out of air and popped to the top. I for some reason all the sudden had this sensation that I was actually breathing through the water. I felt I could stay down forever if I had wished too. My little common sense mind at the time was saying this isn't suppose to be. I debated this for quite some time under water switching back and forth of this is pretty neat to I'm not suppose to be able to do this. I must say I reluctantly surfaced, not because I needed to, but only because my common sense was saying I was suppose to

So, Im trying not to be long winded here, but does this ring any bells for anyone else? I have thought about it often over the years wondering just what that was really all about. I know it sounds crazy, but hindsight almost feels like a memory of having gills and understanding how that worked.
edit on 2-12-2010 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Interesting. I can't say i've had such an experience or know of anyone who has. Though what i'd like to ask is, were there any times onwards where you've been to experience this?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Neato story. I don't think ive ever had that sensation in that particular setting, but when i scuba dive there is something that seems kind of "usual" about it. That sensation was the strongest right after i learned to dive at depth, but it still remains even after quite a few years.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
To be honest the human body does show signs that at some point in our evolution we did infact have gills, maybe you just feel at home and calm in the water as i do, The feeling of suspension is quite relaxing i feel,
If you completely relax under water i imagine a spiritual anamation might be able to kick in which gives you extended perceived time and of course when the bodys completely relaxed it uses less Oxygen.
The again some would call all of the above "Drowning"

edit on 2/12/10 by TedHodgson because: spelling

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I'm assuming you can no longer do this and have attempted 'tea-parties' in effort to re-live the experience?

I do find your story interesting, I have always felt ... 'something' at the very least being underwater, and feelings of some way some-how being able to breathe under there without drowning.

There could be many logical answers, you breathing amniotic fluid still being in your mothers belly... memories of that perhaps?

Or maybe you're ... a Mer-Man!!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Yes, I experienced something similar before, too. I'd say I was around 12, I was at the local swimming pool with a friend. We were mucking around, I hit my head, very softly- it definitely did me no harm. I decided to milk it a bit, pretending I was hurt, so I sunk to the bottom of the pool. However, when I sat on the bottom of the pool, it was like as you said- I had no problem breathing. I eventually decided to surface, after probably a couple minutes, and when I did my friend was pretty worried. I felt fine, I genuinely think I could have stayed under there for a lot longer. The experience confused me a fair bit at the time.

I was thinking about this the other day, it still perplexes me slightly now. I was a very keen swimmer at that age, regularly did my life-saving badges and so on. A requirement of these badges was usually having to hold your breath underwater for a period of time. I remember I was quite poor at it, and would often struggle to "mushroom float" (a kiddies technical swimming term for you there!) for over 15 seconds. I also realise some people might say I hit my head harder than I thought, and I was perhaps slightly concussed- however, I had no bump and I distinctly remember there being minimal pain. I'm only 22 also, so it's not like it happened 40 years ago, thus decreasing the chance of the whole experience being a fabrication of the mind.

edit on 2-12-2010 by ScepticalBeliever because: typo

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Wow, Im surprised to see so many comments, Thank you for that.

Let's see, Yes I have tried over and over again to regain that feeling to no avail. I am what many would call a fish in the water, I have no fear of it.

That day I had no fear either, was actually kind of mad I had to surface and end it, not that I really had to though, just seemed like the thing I was suppose to do. I do believe though, I could have stayed down there all day.

One thing I have heard, apparently when I was very small "toddler" I guess it was a holiday weekend and the folks were doing whatever grownups do, seems I feel into the pool. It was cold out so I was dressed in bundled cloths. When they found me I was just floating on top of the water, not a care in the world as they told the story.

You would think if I had a near drowning experience I would have a fear of water, but I am really quite the opposite and actually probably took more risk then I should have while snorkeling etc.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Trippy experience, kinda cool though. Too bad you haven't been able to repeat it, though maybe the reason you haven't is because it's something that just happens when all things are in balance and trying to force that won't work? Don't know... Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Trippy experience, kinda cool though. Too bad you haven't been able to repeat it, though maybe the reason you haven't is because it's something that just happens when all things are in balance and trying to force that won't work? Don't know... Just a thought.

I have to agree with the fact things must have just been balanced or whatever. I know as a 7 year old and just playing in the pool a simple game, the furthest thing from my mind was gee let me grow some gills and stay down here all day.

I think all the times I have tried since, and there have been many, I was just trying to hard, or the logic side of brain just didnt want to play along. It really was quite the sensation though I have to admit.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
If you hold your breath for a long time you can experience something called hypoxic euphoria, a feeling of great happiness and invincibility that happens because of the lack of oxygen to your brain.
Some free divers get it I think i.e. people that dive just by holding their breath
Maybe thats what happened to you
edit on 2-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
That way my first thought, too... Oxygen deprivation would cause those feelings. I wonder though, would a seven year old unknowingly stay down too long to cause this, or would a child act on instinct and surface when she ran out of air? Don't know... sounds plausible either way...
edit on 2-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

I know exactly what you mean.You just brought back the memories.. When I was a kid around the ages of say 8 to 10 I used to do this in the bath. Used to like suck the water in with my lips pinched together . It felt like I was extracting the oxygen from the water and then would breathe like a jet of water out. Was sucked into mouth only.I remember it felt like I could stay under water for ages well for as long as I wanted.I do remember counting how long one time but cant remember how long. Think it started from just holding breathe then sort of realised could breathe water...Happened lots of times.... Totally forgot about that thanks. Will try tomorrow in the bath but Im not holding my breath

Regards

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I was very healthy then and could hold my breath for quite some time. I was playing a game though and "won" it easily. I had plenty of breath left and was going to surface if I recall until this just came over me. Them it became more of a "wonder" moment. There was no panic at all, more curiosity if anything. Like I said, the only reason I did surface was because my brain was arguing between what was right and what felt right if that made any sense. I really didnt need any air or feel the need for it.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

If only life was that new and inspiring everyday eh?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
If you hold your breath for a long time you can experience something called hypoxic euphoria, a feeling of great happiness and invincibility that happens because of the lack of oxygen to your brain.
Some free divers get it I think i.e. people that dive just by holding their breath
Maybe thats what happened to you
edit on 2-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

Beat me to it... I'm pretty sure this is the reason for that feeling.
edit on 11/27/10 by SpearMint because: Bad grammar

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by maythetruthbeknown

I was just about to type this.

At about 10-12ish I used to try and hold my breath underwater in the bath, I remember distinctly "breathing" in water. I don't think it was water, but it was like I was pulling the oxygen from it. I could never hold my breath for that long but I did a few times hold it for a while. But I remember holding my breath, inhaling a little and I could breathe. It was the strangest sensation. I could feel my lungs enlarge.

I too was and avid swimmer and was almost in the pool daily as we had one, I remember having an experience like this in the pool, but I had to be super relaxed, almost like as people describe it "in the zone."

I had one more recently when I was about 22ish, breathing in water.

Geez I probably sound like I am crazy.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Well if you are crazy so am I
and the Op. The record for free diving is 11.35 en.wikipedia.org...

Maybe what we did was to slow our heart rate down much in the same way as they do. I was in a relaxed position and was very calm. Then with the act of drawing water into the mouth felt like was taking oxygen from it, but really body didn't need it. Or we really did extract the oxygen from the water. A babies lungs are covered with liquid while in the womb although oxygen is transferred from the placenta directly into the babies bloodstream.
Will have an experiment tomorrow and post back.
edit on 2-12-2010 by maythetruthbeknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I have felt this underwater as well.

Trying to explain things with logic and reason are almost pointless. Words are as limiting as the limits we put on ourselves, in this illusion we call life.

Don't let the so called experts tell you, certain things are not possible, because they can not even explain who or what they are, where they came from, and where they are going.

We as energy resonate at a certain frequency, that is why without words people are attracted to certain people or are put off by others.

These energies are the same when we center ourselves, and connected with who we truly are, they transcend the illusion we call life, and the physical limitations we are accustomed to.

Peace,

RT

edit on 2-12-2010 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
It is sure nice to know Im not the only one here that has had this experience. I don't feel so nutty now. I can't wait to hear how the experiment goes. I cant help but wonder if this is a throw back to another time, or a memory of another time, or , well, I don't know, but it appears it might be more common then I thought or maybe you folks thought.

I do have a question for the people that have done this though. I know the day it happened to me, when I surfaced I had no inclination to tell anyone. I dont know if I felt silly about it, or no one would believe me, but I know I kept it to myself, like it was my secret. Is this your first time really sharing it?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

interesting story, thanks for posting.

i've got 2 things to say, both pretty far out...

1) over millions of years various species of alien have added their bit to the human gene pool. we haven't been engineered by one group of aliens, there's been lots. what if you have a part of these guys DNA in you- abovetopsecret.com...

2) at the moment the rate at which the human DNA is changing has gone into the fast lane. we're changing, for the better towards more perfection, it's what 2012 is all about, its been going on since 1992 and the mayan time of no time. check this film out- (8min55)- The Secret of Secrets- www.youtube.com...
and this one, bit longer, and the last half hour or so gets a bit ott, see what you think if you haven't seen it already -(96min)- The 2012 Enigma by David Wilcock- video.google.com...#

this blog could be worth a read too- wecreatethelove.ning.com...

just some ideas xx

new topics

top topics

join